Quantcast

okay, here goes... how do you manual?

jbru119

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Colfax, Iowa
I can't manual to save my life... I'm trying it on a XC hardtail so that may be why, but no excuses here... I must learn how and I'm not waiting for my new bike... help me out bros...

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
1) Learn sit-down wheelies, modulating your rear brake to prevent over-rotation :)
2) When you're good enough to go downhill at any speed you want (speed up / slow down), move on to:
3) Stand up, shift the bike back and forth under you, without using the brake (except as a last resort). Moving the wheel fore and aft under your ass is how you balance in a real manual. You need to have a bike that fits; I can do it on my bmx (er, used to do it before it was stolen), but not on any "big" bikes.
4) Send me $5.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I swear that someone asks the same question every month. :rolleyes:

I'm still learning. I have a XC bike turned DJ bike. I can manual for a while on it. Really all that you need to do is go out an practice for a few hours at a time. Thats what do when there isnt anything else to do.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
Yea, lots of practice.. I used to go out into a big parking lot and just practice manualing back and forth... I still can't manual well, but I was getting better while I was doing that.

I've heard trying to do it down a gently sloping grass hill is a good way to learn..

Then again, I can't manual real well... so maybe it's best to not listen too much to what I have to say ;)

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
OK - I'll bite. What the hell is the definition of a "manual"? Is this some sort of new thing? :confused:

-S.S.-

Usually printed instructions bound together. Some are online now. :think:

Apparently with the right book you can wheelie on one wheel not using the pedals for forward movement. I am just guessing though. I can't do it. I can't really wheelie either. Some can even manual on the front wheel, but I would call that a nose wheelie since pedaling won't help anyway.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
SkaredShtles said:
OK - I'll bite. What the hell is the definition of a "manual"? Is this some sort of new thing? :confused:

-S.S.-

the term comes from skateboarding. it's a wheelie on the rear wheels of a skateboard. (on the front wheels, going forward, they call it a nose wheelie)
you don't pedal on a skateboard so it's simply a coasting wheelie. the term 'manual' was used in the 1970's. not sure of the exact date though.

on a bike, coasting a wheelie was once called a Coaster Wheelie. during the mid-late 1980's bmx freestyle started to really copy the skateboarders, learning and naming tricks from the skaters (smith, feeble, nose pick, tail tap etc.).
the word 'Manual' seemed cooler then 'Coaster Wheelie', so the term stuck.

so on a bike, a manual is coasting on the rear wheel. if you pedal, it's a wheelie(cat walk? or some other term, depending on what part of the world your living in)

some kids will say it's not a manual if you use your brakes, some will say it's not a manual if you pedal in the middle of the coast, I won't get into those arguements.....

the above history lesson is from my own observation of riding a bike for the last 25 years.

As for HOW to manual, it's been said above, PRACTICE.

D

Dingus McGee

I respectfully disagree slightly with the definition above....a Manual
is a coaster wheelie, but done with your azz OFF the seat, there is no sitting involved. Watch Minaar manual through the whoops in Alpha Project for example (semi-obscure Spomer164Litter flick). Arms are locked and bike is kept up by moving it fore and aft using legs.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I don't think there is any wrong way to do it, I have seen people pull them sitting and standing. You just need to find the right way for you. Which means LOTS of practice.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Dingus McGee said:
I respectfully disagree slightly with the definition above....a Manual
is a coaster wheelie, but done with your azz OFF the seat, there is no sitting involved. Watch Minaar manual through the whoops in Alpha Project for example (semi-obscure Spomer164Litter flick). Arms are locked and bike is kept up by moving it fore and aft using legs.

originaly it was done sitting down. who cares really, I try to not get involved in symantics.

I think we both agree that it is a coasting wheelie.

what do you call a no footed manual/coaster wheelie? your azz is on the seat, front wheel is in the air and your coasting on your rear wheel.

The trick to learning to manual, as others have indicated, is to find your balance point, which is further back than you probably suspect. At that point, you'll feel like you're right on the verge of looping out. Get comfortable there. Then practice, practice.

I found the balance point by wheelieing slowly and trying to come to a stop while balancing on the back wheel. You will need good rear brake modulation, quick feet (for saves), and lots of patience.

Good luck...manuals are cool.

jbru119

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Colfax, Iowa
manuals are definitely the coolest... did anyone see Steve Romanik on DropIn pull that step-up to manual to drop in Kelowna... definitely the coolest manual ever...

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
cool and useful for all mtbers. I've always felt that a pedaling, seated wheelie is a circus trick with no real point. Other then being neat to watch someone wheelie for a few blocks (which is a point in itself), as far as helping an MTBer in the real world of riding...useless. Standing wheelies, on the other hand, are extremely useful. When coming up to quick, front wheel eating compressions in trail, a quick manual will keep you moving fast and smooth right through it as opposed to diving the front wheel in and then launching it out the other side (up). Just rock back and squirt through that hole and absorb the backside of it. Just like a racer gobbling up whoops, you will soon be squirting your way down the trail pumping every little down slope with a quick Braaaap while everyone else is pedaling away. Pedaling standing wheelie will also work if you are sprinting through a section. BMXers (the guys with ALL the skill) also do this alot. Have fun with that and keep your finger on that back brake lever. ;)

BTW, for me it's a pedaling issue. If your pedaling it's not a manual. I try not to use the brake, but most of my manuals at this point are me rocking back towards the loop out as slowly as possible, maybe pumping once or twice, then I tap the brake. I'ce been working pretty hard at it for 2 years.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
JerseyDave said:
cool and useful for all mtbers. I've always felt that a pedaling, seated wheelie is a circus trick with no real point.
yea, but they are fun as hell.

nothing wrong w/ circus tricks....... :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Being able to do "tricks" demonstrates a mastery of the discipline in my eyes. It shows that one can make the bike do what he/she wants it do in most any situation. It is circus like but think of the hours that circus folk spend perfecting their trade. As far as definitions go...

Manual: Stand up, no pedal wheelie
Coaster Wheelie: Sit down, no pedal wheelie
Wheelie: Sit down, pedal wheelie
Sprint Wheelie: Stand up, wheelie

I agree that practice is the only thing that will ever make a difference, I too just recently (past 6 mos.) started really working on wheelies/manuals and every day to and from work I wheelie whenever possible. I have gotten to the point where I can wheelie for up to 100' at times and no less than 20'. I can pedal and then coast and then pedal again sometimes and also sometimes can turn a wheelie into a short manual. Compared to many of my friends I am the least skilled in this department but that is what motivates me to get better. Just keep trying and as everyone has said, keep your finger on the back brake! I have found that speed is your friend and it helps to stabilize you. I would recommend using your middle ring up front and somewhere in the higher range in the back (14-22t-ish) and first practice exactly how much to pull up on the bars to "pop" you into your sweet spot (balance point) and then get comfortable there. Once you have that dialed work on maintaining it and then go for just coasting like that. Once that sweet spot is defined in your mind, then you can start working on manuals. Being able to do long manuals is really cool but somewhat of a novelty. However being able to do short manuals over varying terrain is very useful in the real world (whoops, g-outs, etc) All in all I still believe that some people are way more genetically inclined towards great balance on one wheel, but I also believe that anyone can get pretty darn good at it with lots and lots of practice.