Quantcast

okay, how hard is UST supposed to be???

psychokid

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
La Jolla, CA
I got a UST rim (mavic x3.1) and a UST tire set of WTB mutano raptor USTs. I put them on, centered them, and I can't seem to get air into them. What the heck!?!?

Any help on how to inflate UST tires would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Victor

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by psychokid
I got a UST rim (mavic x3.1) and a UST tire set of WTB mutano raptor USTs. I put them on, centered them, and I can't seem to get air into them. What the heck!?!?

Any help on how to inflate UST tires would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Victor
make sure you really did center them. sometimes you may not always be. just keep fiddling w/ it. go to mavic's website and there's a huge lay out on installing and removing the tires.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
This is easy. Take it to your LBS, bring a sandwhich. Echange the sandwhich for a tire installation. :monkey: :D

...and ghettos of La Jolla, what the heck? The have 2 year mercedes there?:rolleyes: :p

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
The tire must be centered on the rim otherwise there is no hope. Also if you are trying to inflate it with a normal floor pump this makes it harder. Take it to your lbs and have them inflate it with their compressed air. Much easier.

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
you must used compressed air to set the bead, inflate them to i think about 80 psi to get it set it...also make sure when you are trying to inflate the tire/rim is not sitting on the groud. hold it in the air or have it hanging from something...but honestly your best bet is the LBS it will even take them awhile to get it, ust wheels and tires are a b**ch to get on.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
If you can hear air escaping from a certain point on the bead, kinda press down (towards the hub) on the tire to get a better seal.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
For my DH bike I had to use a compressor for the front 2.8 and a floor pump worked for the rear. Fill the tire to about 60lbs, check for leaks then reduce air pressure.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Misfitslacker
you must used compressed air to set the bead, inflate them to i think about 80 psi to get it set it...also make sure when you are trying to inflate the tire/rim is not sitting on the groud. hold it in the air or have it hanging from something...but honestly your best bet is the LBS it will even take them awhile to get it, ust wheels and tires are a b**ch to get on.
Agreed. I've only put on a few sets, each time with a compressor at my old shop. When I built up a set of DT Onyx/3.1 wheels for my gf, I bought a co2 inflater to use.
One note, when inflating the tires, if the bead is folding air but not seated correctly, just keep pumping. By ~60-80 psi, it will pop into place.

F5000sl

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Richmond
Originally posted by psychokid
Is the use of soapy water/moisture/ UST liquid really necessary to ensure a seal?

Thanks
Not so much to ensure a seal, but more to keep friction from helping to grab and tear apart the seal on install :thumb: