Quantcast

Okay I know storage is cheap but

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep. It's pretty ridiculous. When IAB was getting his camera we were talking about flash memory... I remember paying $70 for a 64mb card when I got my first digital camera.

And when I was in 8th grade, my dad came home with a 1.2gb hard drive, that he couldn't pass up because it was so cheap... at $370.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We had a Timex Sinclair 2000 in the early 80's. It cost over $100 to upgrade the memory from 2K to 16K. We didn't have a hard drive, just a tape deck.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can thank these guys

The 2007 Nobel Prize in Physics has been awarded jointly to Albert Fert of the Université Paris-Sud in France and Peter Grünberg of the Forschungszentrum Jülich in Germany "for the discovery of giant magnetoresistance". Their discovery, which both physicists made independently in 1988, led to a dramatic rise in the amount of data that can be stored on computer hard-disk drives. Fert and Grünberg share prize money totalling 10 million Swedish krone (about $1.5m).

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
This trend to massive storage is going to lead to some *horrendous* sob stories as people lose every picture/document/movie they've ever saved...

"But nobody told me the disk drive might fail!"

:D
Especially if they are using drives like the first one in the thread that are actually two drives for twice the likelihood of failure.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Especially if they are using drives like the first one in the thread that are actually two drives for twice the likelihood of failure.
That's not true at all. Statistically, 2 drives are of course twice the likelihood for failure but unless you set it up as RAID 0 for striping, you aren't going to lose the whole setup... or any data at all if you set it up for mirroring.

The whole idea isn't really correct anyway. Storage has expanded as storage needs have expanded. People 5 years ago would lose all of their pictures on a 20gb drive, too. I doubt it's big percent of the population that actually overruns a single drive into an additional drive and is likely to instead consolidate into one huge drive...and then it's a smaller subset who will experience a failure.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
The whole idea isn't really correct anyway. Storage has expanded as storage needs have expanded. People 5 years ago would lose all of their pictures on a 20gb drive, too.
Yeah - but those people will be putting all those old pictures as well as all their new pictures on a 1TB drive. And they'll lose the whole shootin' match.

And they'll pi$$ and moan about it. :D

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
That's not true at all. Statistically, 2 drives are of course twice the likelihood for failure but unless you set it up as RAID 0 for striping, you aren't going to lose the whole setup... or any data at all if you set it up for mirroring.

The whole idea isn't really correct anyway. Storage has expanded as storage needs have expanded. People 5 years ago would lose all of their pictures on a 20gb drive, too. I doubt it's big percent of the population that actually overruns a single drive into an additional drive and is likely to instead consolidate into one huge drive...and then it's a smaller subset who will experience a failure.
True, you'll only lose it all if the drives are striped, but it's clearly not mirrored if it's being advertised as a 1 TB drive. So you'll only lose half, but it's twice as likely that you lose that one half.

splat

Nam I am
And when I was in 8th grade, my dad came home with a 1.2gb hard drive, that he couldn't pass up because it was so cheap... at $370.
:busted: Dam you young!!! I remeber when after college , I Bought a 40 MEG for $200 and thought I got one hell of a Deal ( and itwas atthat time )

This trend to massive storage is going to lead to some *horrendous* sob stories as people lose every picture/document/movie they've ever saved...

"But nobody told me the disk drive might fail!"

:D
And those are the same people who Piss and Moan when the box they stored there photos in in the basement getwet and they all get ruined .

BTW: last week I got a 2gb Compact flash card for $10 with free shipping from Buy.com