Quantcast

Okay nature lovers...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
What the hell kind of creature is this?

I've seen a lot of critters in my day but I've never seen anything like this. I spotted it eating choke cherries on our back patio yesterday. I think it is a fox with mange. Poor thing. It looked like it has been eating enough (can't see its ribs) but it has almost no fur. I doubt it will make it through the winter.

Yuck.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Looks kind of like that "Worlds ugliest dog" doesn't it.

The bad thing is it walked through my dog's run area. I hope that it doesn't give my dog whatever it is it has. Mmmm. Scabies!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
a dingo! watch out, it'll eat your babies

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Is there anything I can do? I hate to see the thing suffer like that. I'd like to think it was just passing through but I suspect it has been getting in our compost pile and eating vegi scraps.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Use the swiss army knife. Or would you like to borrow my mace?

If the animal is living in the immediate area have animal control come set traps for it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I don't know what the hell is up with red foxes in MD, but since I moved up here from NVA, I've witnessed them doing a number of bizarre things.

* I was at a construction site in Fredneck enjoying a post-ride toke while sitting on a curb in a partially-complete court when I heard this odd barking/yelping. I remained near motionless and slowly poked my head up above the grassline only to see a red fox running around in big circles and figure 8s yelping madly as if at the moon. Fearing it rabid, I remounted my bike after clearing out the last puff in my glass and pedaled home.

* While pedaling in the wide shoulder of RTE 140 at night with my bar light towards Emmitsburg, I came upon another red fox running and yelping madly in the same direction I was going. It was zig-zagging at high speed back and forth across both lanes and right before it would get to the farm fences/croplines on either side of the road, it would pinball back towards the other side of the road yipping all the while. I overtook it on a downward hill and it paid me no mind whatsoever. While ascending the opposite hill, I turned around just in time to see it dart in front of a late model beater and tumbleweed along after it in the middle of the road after being nearly crushed. It barely broke stride upon completing its forward rolls and continued its mad dash as if nothing at all had happened.

Bizarre little effers, that's for sure.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
we're starting to see more and more wildlife in our trail system here at the rock.
all the ohv traffic and work crews are pretty much driving everything into our "oasis".

deer.
coyote.
bobcat.
turkey.
even black bear are being spotted right over the ridge.

but i hope i never see that "foxacabra" thing that's round yer parts.