Quantcast

Okay weirdos I need some advice...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
With the coming of winter brings our winter short track series. In order to gain some sort of competitive advantage over my crew, I've decided a hardtail is in order. And to really make a difference a 29er seems to be the ticket. So here are the questions.

1. I've pretty much decided on an EMD from niner bikes. Cheap and light (both important)Is there some secret reason that it's a bad decision?

(EDIT: Plus it comes in Root Beer. Seriously how could it be better?)

2. Fork? Not a clue except that 80mm is enough travel (or is it?). I can get pretty much anything. Cost is an option so I'd like some value oriented choices.

3. Wheels. I've got a set of XTR center lock hubs that I was going to cut out of an old wheelset and build up on new rims. I'd like to go tubeless (does that make sense for 29er?). Stan's rims seem like the way to go. Leads to the next question....

4. Tires. I've used crossmarks pretty much exclusively for the last 3 years. Is there any reason to change from that? I did see the new stan's tires (the raven) and was intrigued.

Anything else I need to think about?

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The EMD is a great bang for the buck frameset. And you'll have a new color option for 2009 (stardust grey or something like that)

Rims - can't go wrong with Stans IMO

Tires, well.....nothing wrong with crossmarks - if you want more volume - maybe give some Racing Ralphs a go.

Forks - what's your budget?

Right back at ya fellow wierdo! ;)

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
fork- just get a reba. simple and reliable and pretty light. 80mm is enough travel especially with the big wheels. I might have one for sale if your in need- Pm me

tires- racing ralphs are nice. I had the 2.25 for a rear and liked it a lot

wheels- no doubt go with the stans

ncj01

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
Sounds like you're on the right track all around.

I'm not a big Niner fan, but if you can get a DEAL on one..then why not?? Retail, another matter.

Those XTR hubs are good, use a good set of metal shears, and you're done.