Fort Collins, CO
MMcG said:
Need some feedback please!!

How do you like em?

Fast rolling?

Grippy?

Do they fling rocks and mud and crap?

How are they in the wet?
Buy them now. I was riding Exi's last year until a muddy race last May where the tire grabbed mud and I slid around everywhere- no traction at all in the sticky mud. I switched to Ignitors, saved some weight, and didn't give up any perceivable traction (and they are much better in the mud as the open design doesn't pack up).

However, I'm looking at the new 2.3 Nevegal, Panaracer and Halo tires with lust in my heart...

Drevil

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
MMcG said:
I was thinking an Ignitor Rear and Exiwolf up front combo.

Whattya think about that idea?
Well, you know that is my favorite combo since I started on 29ers. I've experimented only a very little with other combos. Yes, the Exis aren't that good in the mud, but I try my best not to ride in it.

As an experiment last week, I finally took off my Exi from the front and put the Ignitor on instead. For the rear, I took off the Ignitor and replaced it with a Speci Fast Trak.

I run rigid, and the Ignitor hammered my hands. The terrain was very dry, dusty, with a steep section that had a lot of braking bumps. There was also a few rock pathways that shook my fillings.

I experimented with tire pressure, and when I got it to where it was comfy, it also felt like it was folding a little on hard turns. It did grip better when leaning over, but for me, the cush was much more important than the slightly better traction.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have Ignitors on my SS.

We got a good 20 minute downpour yesterday afternoon and I hit the trail at about 6PM. The trail was pretty tacky and the Ignigtors hooked up pretty well a the beginning. However, they eventually became full of sticky mud and, while I didn't totally lose all traction like I do with my FastTraks, they did get a little squirrelly on the corners. I has able to climb quite well in the tackey conditions. I would have been a little happier if they would have shed mud better.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Drevil said:
I run rigid, and the Ignitor hammered my hands. The terrain was very dry, dusty, with a steep section that had a lot of braking bumps. There was also a few rock pathways that shook my fillings.

I experimented with tire pressure, and when I got it to where it was comfy, it also felt like it was folding a little on hard turns. It did grip better when leaning over, but for me, the cush was much more important than the slightly better traction.
What kind of pressures are good for running ridged? I think I have about 45 psi in my Ignigtors...

:confused:

Drevil

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
N8 said:
What kind of pressures are good for running ridged? I think I have about 45 psi in my Ignigtors...

:confused:
Me: 155 lbs, riding a mix of rocky and rooty Mid Atlantic stuff. I try to stay light and pick good lines.

Exi front: ~20 psi (or less)
Ignitor rear: ~22 psi

Recently mounted Fast Trak rear: ~30 psi

I've only done two rides and one race on the Fast Trak, and I noticed when I had it lower than 30, it felt like I had a flat. 30 psi is much higher than usual for me, but I hate getting flats, esp. during races.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Drevil said:
Me: 155 lbs, riding a mix of rocky and rooty Mid Atlantic stuff. I try to stay light and pick good lines.

Exi front: ~20 psi (or less)
Ignitor rear: ~22 psi

Recently mounted Fast Trak rear: ~30 psi

I've only done two rides and one race on the Fast Trak, and I noticed when I had it lower than 30, it felt like I had a flat. 30 psi is much higher than usual for me, but I hate getting flats, esp. during races.

Are you running tubeless?

Drevil

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
N8 said:
Are you running tubeless?
No sir, just plain ol' WTB or Bonty 29" tubes (occasionally a 26" tube if I'm in a pinch). When I do a race, I sometimes bump the pressure up to 5 psi more so there is less chance of a pinch flat and to lower rolling resistance. When the race is over and I'm just tooling around, it's back to ~20psi for front and rear. Besides the better traction that I get from lower pressures, I do it because of shock absorption.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Drevil said:
No sir, just plain ol' WTB or Bonty 29" tubes (occasionally a 26" tube if I'm in a pinch). When I do a race, I sometimes bump the pressure up to 5 psi more so there is less chance of a pinch flat and to lower rolling resistance. When the race is over and I'm just tooling around, it's back to ~20psi for front and rear. Besides the better traction that I get from lower pressures, I do it because of shock absorption.
The reason I ask is because I know a few MTB racers in rocky Arkansas who race their 29ers with 15-17 pis in tubeless tires... with no problems.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
It should be noted that Drevil appears to dance through technical stuff without his wheels touching a thing. I'm relatively new to the rigid world and am only beginning to learn the art of picking the right lines. I tend to bash through the tricky parts and I've been running my ignitors around 30 psi with no problems. While in the Kingdom, I dropped pressure to about 25 psi because I knew there wasn't much rocky riding there.

Drevil

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
N8 said:
The reason I ask is because I know a few MTB racers in rocky Arkansas who race their 29ers with 15-17 pis in tubeless tires... with no problems.
I may get down to ~17 psi in the front Exi, but that's the cusp of when I start getting more flats. I've always been a little worried about running tubeless, so I've never tried it. Plus, I didn't want to deal with the hassle or mess. I can only think of two friends out of dozens that run tubeless/Stan's on their 29ers.

ArmOnFire

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Exeter, NH
How much do you guys weigh?
Holy crap, if I put my tire pressure below 30 psi I'm on the rim!

BTW, I weigh 210lbs. and run my tires around 35-40 psi.

-Dan

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm probably right around 175 right now. I ran my Exiwolfs at 25 psi over the weekend on Bonty Race Dis Rims - no probs - coulda ran em lower I think too - and you know we've got lotsa lotsa rocks around here too.

Geez

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
I switched to Ignitors front and rear from Moto Raptors about 2 months ago. Primary reason for the switch was weight savings. I did it in connection with a switch to disc's from V's. In that time I've used them on FL, GA and NC trails, in all conditions and I'm very satisfied. I use 26" Specialized "Turbo Tubes" (pre-talc'ed) and have only had one flat in that time. I'm 190 lbs, 5'10" and set pressure at 38 psi. I should state that I'm not as tuned into all the nitty gritty micro nuances of equipment, settings, etc. that some riders are. I pretty much just like to ride and as long as what I'm using seems to work I'm happy :) . With that said I'm planning on putting Ignitors on my 2 other mtn bikes.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Yep! I did that song and dance last summer! Here's my take: Exi as a front will be pretty good as long as you stay out of sticky soil and mud. Also, if you are prone to fast, twisty, lean it over and pray single tracking, the Exi will dump you like a hot potatoe. Otherwise, she's fine, especially as a techy-trail front on a rigid fork kind of ride.

The Ignitor rear was weird at first. It was a harsh feeling tire. I couldn't figure it out and then one day I didn't check the pressure, went out for a ride, and it came alive. I got home and checked the pressure. It was about 5psi lower than I'd normally run my rear tires at. I ran them at this lower pressure for the duration that the tire was on.

Ignitors are great for traction, cornering, and decent on the rolling resistence scale. I think the Exi front/ Ignitor rear is a good combination.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wow!!! Thanks for that tip Ted!!!

I decreased the pressure in mine at something less than I'd usually run and the grip was great but the ride.... the ride was so smooth... even with my rigid fork... damn what a difference!

Thanks again!

:thumb: