Quantcast

ol' Kanye...oi

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
manimal said:
there are a bunch of white faces......now that the rescuers/nat'l guard are in :D

sorry, had to lighten it up a bit.
That was almost just as bad... becasue you forgot about the reporters :D

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I have lost all respect for Kanye West. (not that I had any respect for him in the first place) I'm really not surprised by his comments though... Why is it that some people have to turn every negative thing that happens in this country into a racism issue? He only divides our country by turning this into an "us versus them" situation.

"America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible"? Wow. I can hardly believe that West was chosen by NBC to speak... Is West from New Orleans or something? Why did it have to be a rapper? Where is David Robinson when you need him?

It was even more disturbing to watch Al Sharpton try and defend West's remarks on the O'Reilly Factor.

I get a kick out of the people who place 100% of the blame on President Bush. Sure, he and his advisors might have made some mistakes, but that also doesn't mean that the state and local levels of government are off the hook. State Government should take the lead in disaster response, only makes sense. There is only so much that the Federal Government can do.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
WheelieMan said:
State Government should take the lead in disaster response, only makes sense. There is only so much that the Federal Government can do.
How does state government take a lead when the state has been decimated? Try again.

If anyone has actually listened to NPR or have followed this situation in any way you would know that the unanimous conclusion is that the federal government failed miserably in this situation. Perhaps some of you should follow the situation, learn something, then comment here.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
BeerDemon said:
How does state government take a lead when the state has been decimated? Try again.

If anyone has actually listened to NPR or have followed this situation in any way you would know that the unanimous conclusion is that the federal government failed miserably in this situation. Perhaps some of you should follow the situation, learn something, then comment here.
Oh come on, the state government leaders LIVE in Louisiana, Mississippi, etc... They know their state better than anyone at the Federal level. Just because the states are decimated doesn't mean their leaders are. Who declared NPR the ultimate final authority on this matter?

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
WheelieMan said:
Oh come on, the state government leaders LIVE in Louisiana, Mississippi, etc... They know their state better than anyone at the Federal level. Just because the states are decimated doesn't mean their leaders are. Who declared NPR the ultimate final authority on this matter?
What is the leader of a destroyed state going to do?

Everyone knows the government failed. Except for you it seems.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
BeerDemon said:

Wow, you need to work on your comprehension. I said that all levels of government probably made mistakes. Placing the blame solely on the Federal government is just stupid.

Decisions were made (or should have been made) by the state/local leaders before the hurricane hit. More assistance should have been provided to evacuate those unable to on their own... I consider that a local failure...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
WheelieMan said:
It was even more disturbing to watch Al Sharpton try and defend West's remarks on the O'Reilly Factor.
What's most disturbing is someone would watch Bill O'Rielly to begin with. That guy is the biggest ass I have ever seen in my life. The insencerity that guy displays and general lack of respect for humans is sickening.

Sorry about the off topic rant, but my college roomate last year watched fox news religiously and that guy....I can't even put it into words.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Inclag said:
What's most disturbing is someone would watch Bill O'Rielly to begin with. That guy is the biggest ass I have ever seen in my life. The insencerity that guy displays and general lack of respect for humans is sickening.

Sorry about the off topic rant, but my college roomate last year watched fox news religiously and that guy....I can't even put it into words.
I can understand why people despise Rush Limbaugh, he can be very narrow minded sometimes. But O'Reilly? No, I just don't understand the hatred, his show is usually very reasonable. He at least shows respect for people he disagrees with unlike most political figures.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8 said:
Apparently being governed by democrats ain't the Panacea you liberals would like the rest of us to believe it is.
Nine out of ten of the cities with the highest quality of life in the US are Democrat...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8 said:
No they don't. They want to stay in power even if it means creating a society completely and totally dependent on the 'government' for their every need.
WTF? Are you for real?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BeerDemon said:

I was reading some of James Lee Witt's accomplishments during his reign as FEMA director. For example, he handled the Northridge earthquake recovery. While not at the same scale as New Orleans, there were no complaints about the recovery.

While Louisana should have been more preparely, FEMA should have been better managed right from the start.

Think of this way, has anyone been involved with a sports team or a boss who was not an effective manager? Was it easy to get your job done for a guy who sucked? In this case, I think Blanco was reacting to Browne's incompetence, which resulted in her unwillingness to hand over the reins.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
so the government screwed up, the local government screwed up, but who could really prepare for such an event? obviously it was way bigger than anyone expected, so dont start blaming everyone so much. Why the hell is everything in this country always a race issue when it invovles black people? oh yeah, kanye west is a douche bag.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BIGHIT756 said:
so the government screwed up, the local government screwed up, but who could really prepare for such an event? obviously it was way bigger than anyone expected, so dont start blaming everyone so much.
Uh, the US Army Corp of Engineers, who stated the current levee system could not handle a Cat IV hurricane but did not have funds to improve them, and FEMA, who arrived with supplies 4 days late.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
sanjuro said:
While Louisana should have been more preparely, FEMA should have been better managed right from the start.
More prepared isn't the issue here. That is another debate. The issue is that tens of thousands of people needed help and nobody could get the job done. The resources were there and if someone had taken charge lives would have been saved.

I think this is more a class issue than a race issue but race is behind class in that part of the country and this is a very complicated social situation. Come up with all the dumb statements you want about "white faces in the crowd", but again, if those had been wealthy campaign contributors down there this would have unfolded differently and anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Its really pretty sad that our government functions the way it does. Jackasses like Brown get jobs they aren't qualified for because they are connected to the current administration. Funds that could have been used to strengthen the levee system were diverted to pork barrel projects all over the US. Billions are wasted on projects that never needed to be done just to kick some funds the way of a senator that is owed a favor. People die.

No longer proud to be an American.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Oh yeah LOL! I was watching Dateline last night and they had a pretty funny story. The first search and rescue team in one Mississipi town wasn't from FEMA. The were from Vancouver BC LOL! The mounties were able to travel 2500 miles and get to the scene before any US relief agency. Pathetic.

Thanks to Canada though. You guys still talk funny but you're alright.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
BeerDemon said:
Thanks to Canada though. You guys still talk funny but you're alright.
:D That made me laugh. All the :heart: to my neighbors to the north but when I am told I have a "Sothern Accent" then you know you talk funny. I am "surry" to offend you I am sure you don't konw what I am talking "aboot" ;)

Kanye, I really don't know him at all...his music or what he does outside of music. My only exposure was to see him whining about Gretchen Wilson (country music artist) winning the "best new artist" from some awards show. What a whinning little turd.

Paraphrased "This is BS. I AM THE GREATEST! I deserved that award" (cue crying into Puddle Fiddy's:D I mean Puff daddy's shoulder)

I really couldn't care less what he had to say.....especially about topics of national politics. As he calls in from his Escalade.....sipp'n on Gin and Juice, Layed back with his mind on his money and money on his mind........:eek: Sorry got a little side track there.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Changleen said:
Nine out of ten of the cities with the highest quality of life in the US are Democrat...
stat please...

and id like you to quantify/qualify how something as simplistic as political affiliation has to do with quality of life.

are you saying that those cities have been 'democratic' for their entire existence? or are the only recently democratic?

and if you REALLY want to equate quality of life to political party...what was NO again? id be willing to bet its demo...

while your at it...what are the last 9 out of 10 cities?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BeerDemon said:

The whole state of Louisiana was not destroyed silly... the vast majority of the state didn't even get a drop of rain for Katrina.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ridetoofast said:
stat please...

and id like you to quantify/qualify how something as simplistic as political affiliation has to do with quality of life.

are you saying that those cities have been 'democratic' for their entire existence? or are the only recently democratic?

and if you REALLY want to equate quality of life to political party...what was NO again? id be willing to bet its demo...

So, is New Orleans the 10th city that is the exemption to the rule then? :p

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ridetoofast said:
stat please...
Find it yourself. It took me a while to find and it was on an AOL page. No. 1 was Honolulu. No 2 was the repub town and all the rest were democrat. I can't remeber what they were.
Don't ask me, N8 made the dumb statement that being governed by democrats meant living in a ****hole.
Uh, yeah. That's what I'm saying. :oink: Seriously, do you have to try to write such dumb **** or is it a gift?
So if I really want to equate quality of life to political party I need to ignore the stats of many cities and look at just one. Right.
You asked that already. Put down the bong.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Changleen said:
Find it yourself. It took me a while to find and it was on an AOL page. No. 1 was Honolulu. No 2 was the repub town and all the rest were democrat. I can't remeber what they were.
Don't ask me, N8 made the dumb statement that being governed by democrats meant living in a ****hole.
Uh, yeah. That's what I'm saying. :oink: Seriously, do you have to try to write such dumb **** or is it a gift?
So if I really want to equate quality of life to political party I need to ignore the stats of many cities and look at just one. Right.
You asked that already. Put down the bong.
1) if you're going to arbitrarily spout stats without backing it up what worth do they have :rolleyes:

2) i didnt see n8 write it i saw you write it

3) 'quality of life' doesnt happen over night, cities change political affiliation they arent dem/repub forever

4) oh bohooo you called me a stoner...any other childish insinuations in your next reply?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
sanjuro said:
Did the federal gov't drag their ass because they are incompent and unprepared and , or because Bush is prejudiced against blacks?

I hate Bush and I think he blew it in New Orleans, but I don't think he is racist. Just ask Condelezza Rice about it...
That's exactly what happened. I seriously doubt that anyone really thinks Bush is prejustice or sat back and did nothing, because the victims were black. Kayne West is an idiot...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ridetoofast said:
1) if you're going to arbitrarily spout stats without backing it up what worth do they have :rolleyes:
They're facts, not stats. But anyway. I normally do. In this case I didn't. If you think I'm lying feel free to check.
2) i didnt see n8 write it i saw you write it
Maybe you should read the thread before jumping in with both feet then. Its a little more constructive.
3) 'quality of life' doesnt happen over night, cities change political affiliation they arent dem/repub forever
Really? Thanks for that Professor. Not sure I'd realised that myself. Do you still think that a sample of one is more valid than a sample of many though?
4) oh bohooo you called me a stoner...any other childish insinuations in your next reply?
I dunno. I'm just a 'fvcking liberal tool' after all. :p