Quantcast

Ol' Standbys: What's in the new generation?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
syadasti said:
You can't know it works best for you if you have only tried one brand. How do you know if other brands aren't better if you've never tried one before?
Nice assumption :thumb:

Being that I haven't bought one in several years, I'm going to be hard-pressed to come up with models, but they're all the similar size to the Mule. I've tried a North Face (didn't sit on my shoulders/back well even after lots of readjustments, probably just a personal issue), a Blackburn (pack ripped after a couple crashes), and a Platypus (stitching started to pull out after only a few weeks - probably a warrenty issue, but wasn't worth my time, there was nothing I liked about it more than my Mule).

So, your assumption is wrong - I HAVE tried other brands - but my needs are simple. None of the packs gave me anything I liked better than my Camelbak. I suppose your next argument is that, since I haven't tried every brand on the market, I couldn't possibly know :rolleyes:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
I suppose your next argument is that, since I haven't tried every brand on the market, I couldn't possibly know :rolleyes:
This is true though...

I haven't owned every brand either, but I have owned Camelbak and many others and researched the later ones before I bought them. The ones that sucked were Blackburn and K2 I got by chance when hydration packs were a newly emerging product. If I only tried Camelbak, Blackburn, and K2, I would think that Camelbak is the best brand. This also doesn't take into account that product quality and design isn't static - Dakine for example has improved by leaps and bounds.

Also some of the features work better depending on usage. The open air back (found on some Deuter and Vaude models) for example only works great on small to medium sized bags as the weight is moved away from the ideal CG. Other features just plain work better in every situation and having them does make the product work better (for example having the best hydration bladder design considering they are hydration packs)