Quantcast

Old Bikes

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
As some of you know I have just started to collect some old schwinn cruisers. In my never ending quest for knowledge I was pointed towards this article.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html

The interesting thing to me is that the frames of the old schwinns were actually made from sheet metal and not tubing.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
Nice read! :thumb:
Thanks man I thought so!

The person who refered me to it stated this:

"If you read any of the books on Schwinn, you'll learn that part of how they justified their high cost (based on the CPI, that $56 Schwinn would cost $400 today) was to essentially guarantee that the bike could be passed down to 2 or 3 younger kids. They were virtually indestructable, which might explain why so many are still around!
To do that, they used heavy steel frames, steel rims, big honkin steel bottom brackets and heavy cranks, steel handlebars, ... (see the pattern here? ;) )"

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
stosh said:
The interesting thing to me is that the frames of the old schwinns were actually made from sheet metal and not tubing.
That must be why they are so f'in heavy!
Stosh, I picked up an old Schwinn a few days ago as well. A bit different than yours though. I'll post up in a day or 2 when i can clean all the grease & crap off of it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mackie said:
That must be why they are so f'in heavy!
Stosh, I picked up an old Schwinn a few days ago as well. A bit different than yours though. I'll post up in a day or 2 when i can clean all the grease & crap off of it.
Wait, what kind is it?
Please elaborate!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know I've posted it before, but my brother started restoring old bikes a few years ago. Most of his are like 40's and 50's, but he has done a great job of holding them to the original.

They were in his garage and his house until he opened his new shop in Vegas. He decided to hang them up and show them off. He has 6 complete right now with 2 or 3 more under construction. He spent a gross amount of coin building these and he's ridden every one of them.

Here is a shot of one wall with 3 of his bikes.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jimmydean said:
I know I've posted it before, but my brother started restoring old bikes a few years ago. Most of his are like 40's and 50's, but he has done a great job of holding them to the original.

They were in his garage and his house until he opened his new shop in Vegas. He decided to hang them up and show them off. He has 6 complete right now with 2 or 3 more under construction. He spent a gross amount of coin building these and he's ridden every one of them.

Here is a shot of one wall with 3 of his bikes.

I can not get myself to re-paint either of my bikes.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
stosh said:
I can not get myself to re-paint either of my bikes.
From what I have been told, those are factory colors as well. It's crazy what he has spent on each one, but he's got it like that. He has done all the work and all the research, so I give him credit for that.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jimmydean said:
From what I have been told, those are factory colors as well. It's crazy what he has spent on each one, but he's got it like that. He has done all the work and all the research, so I give him credit for that.
Thats cool man!
I love the look of the old ones thats for sure.
I just happen to keep finding ones from the 60's.
I'll never pay market, I keep hoping to find one at a garage sale.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
stosh said:
Thats cool man!
I love the look of the old ones thats for sure.
I just happen to keep finding ones from the 60's.
I'll never pay market, I keep hoping to find one at a garage sale.
:stupid:

I keep an eye out at Goodwill and I cruise the yard sales from time to time. I have decided I am either going to get a new cheap ass beach ride or pick up an old one to build out as the family truckster. My wife will never be the cyclist I wish she would be, so a trailer puller is all I need.

Either way, I want to look cool :D