Quantcast

Old books and photos

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've been buying a lot of old books and photos on Ebay lately. The people that have businesses that specialize in this stuff - where do they get their inventory? Are there wholesalers fro this kind of stuff?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Estate sales and in house auctions. Books, magazine and photos are among the hardest items to sell outside of eBay the market is pretty slim. I will typically sell a lifetime's worth of paper items to one dealer for around $250.00 - I let them sort the good fromthe bad.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
In the niche I am interested in, I often see books go for as much as 200 each and individual photos as much as 500 each.

Seems like finding a good estate sale is tough to do?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
In the niche I am interested in, I often see books go for as much as 200 each and individual photos as much as 500 each.

Seems like finding a good estate sale is tough to do?
It's all supply and demand - we might have a good $50.00 book that is hard to find but finding a buyer to buck up the cash isn't easy in a 2 day sale. Put the book on eBay and you have several interested parties.

By the same token - you'd be hard pressed to find a mining book you'd want at an estate sale or auction. Ebay has made buying and selling easier than it once was.

Anyhow mining stuff has always been a hot property - it's a huge part of the American West's history. In my area it's logging crap that goes for a mint. It seems like any old timber claim or deed is worth $100.00 or better.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Man, you guys are nosey. Mining history.

Any kind or only precious metals?

I know I could get you a dump load of old coal mining pics.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I've been buying a lot of old books and photos on Ebay lately. The people that have businesses that specialize in this stuff - where do they get their inventory? Are there wholesalers fro this kind of stuff?
I have a buddy that works at a used book store... his job is to find the books. He travels around the nearby states and goes to book fairs.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
I have a buddy that works at a used book store... his job is to find the books. He travels around the nearby states and goes to book fairs.

Is that your friend Biker Fox?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
mining history, literally?

or you're digging thru history for rare and unique stuff?

At first, I thought like data mining.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Yeah, I hear he was at a bookstore the other day and he was able to buy your balls for $1.00.

Thank god I had them syndicated because I get a kick back from every sale of my balls!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by LordOpie
well... that's... uhh... fascinating.

good luck with that... literally

few more...

ok... done.
Ha ha ha ha..... <---- I'll add a few more of my own

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Mining history.
Now that there is some Five-Star inuendo. Do your other niches include tunneling, hammering, boring, plowing, reeming........?

I don't know if it was urban legend, a business model or something completely different, but I heard a story about a guy on eBay who collects old magazines and cuts out the car ads. He then put then in cheap frames and sells them on eBay for like $20 each. One mans trash... I guess.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Repack
Now that there is some Five-Star inuendo. Do your other niches include tunneling, hammering, boring, plowing, reeming........?

don't forget the occasional blasting.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by Repack
Anyone know of abandoned shafts that could use exploring?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

There is one I know of in PA but from what I hear the fudge factory next to it filled it up with discarded spoiled fudge.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
There has to be some in Colorado with as much mining in the mountains. If you go through Georgetown, CO sometime there's a shop downtown that has tons of old mining stuff. Including a collection of books and stuff. It's kinda cool. Then motor over Loveland pass and hit up Keystone for some downhill!! :cool:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I did meet one of your ex-g/fs at a race last summer :devil: I'm sure her shaft's not abandoned tho cuz she's mighty fine!

...Mining history.

Yes, in Vermont and New York. Also furnaces, kilns, and pit mines.

I have a a photo you would like, I think. A donkey powered pit winch, with the donkey. In the background, you can see the steam winch that's going to replace the donkey. It's a last day on the job photo, I think. I'll try to scan and post it.

J