Quantcast

Old dh = new trail bike? #25mmOFFSETalert

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
<boredom>

#25mm OFFSET ALERT :busted:

I decided to make use of my ex dh01 bike.
1.jpg

Deleto:
-chainstayzz
-seatstayzz
-rockerzz
-big shockzz
-seattube gussetzz

Plan:
Use the old front triangle
Cut the old gusset, make a fancy new one.
Use much shorter fork - modified 6" (or even lower) White brothers DH2 USD fork with 25mm offset:wtf: (g2 make new internals, increase bushing overlap, shorten upper tubes) 31.75mm stanchions :twitch: , just likeBCD fork (got one laying around, collecting dust)
1588426024669.png

Convert my old Hope Pro 2 12x150mm axle to a 20mm through axle :homer: and make some nice chainstays out of CF probably.

27.5" wheelz
66deg. HA
75 STa
46.25" WB
13.15"bbh
7/8" bb drop
450mm reach
575mm stack :panic:
Single pivot
17.12" CS
0.66" rearward axle path
5.1" of travel
200x57 air shock (got a spare monarch) - most likely will modify it to make negative chamber bigger somehow.
2.jpg

</boredom>

DISCUSS NAO!:monkeydance:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
66HA not slack enough for such a short offset, IMHO. Make it 65 or 64.5 and it will ripzz.
13.15 bhh - too high :D
17.12" CS - spot on

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
:D

Hey Troy: what white brothers fork is that?

I'd think your 25mm offset is going to climb like shit on anything but 26" wheels......and even then probably not great.

Rest of the numbers look fun. You no dh anymore?

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Only number that got my attention was STA. For a pedaling bike I'd rather be a degree or two steeper. But understand your reach concern and its not like 75* is the end of the world.

Looks sick!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Closely paying attention!
Been thinking about a similar project for a frame sitting around the garage

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
<boredom>

#25mm OFFSET ALERT :busted:

I decided to make use of my ex dh01 bike.
View attachment 144533
Deleto:
-chainstayzz
-seatstayzz
-rockerzz
-big shockzz
-seattube gussetzz

Plan:
Use the old front triangle
Cut the old gusset, make a fancy new one.
Use much shorter fork - modified 6" (or even lower) White brothers DH2 USD fork with 25mm offset:wtf: (g2 make new internals, increase bushing overlap, shorten upper tubes) 31.75mm stanchions :twitch: , just likeBCD fork (got one laying around, collecting dust)
View attachment 144534

Convert my old Hope Pro 2 12x150mm axle to a 20mm through axle :homer: and make some nice chainstays out of CF probably.

27.5" wheelz
66deg. HA
75 STa
46.25" WB
13.15"bbh
7/8" bb drop
450mm reach
575mm stack :panic:
Single pivot
17.12" CS
0.66" rearward axle path
5.1" of travel
200x57 air shock (got a spare monarch) - most likely will modify it to make negative chamber bigger somehow.

</boredom>

DISCUSS NAO!:monkeydance:
You sure about that bb height on a trail bike? Since trail riding involves more going over obstacles than DH. Especially given you go with a fairly conservative HA so it's not a small enduro bike.

Also why not a mullet? I know it sounds like a trend but the rolling benefits are waaaay bigger than I thought in mullet vs 27.5''.

As for shocks - look around olx. Not sure if they still pop up but some shops used to sell destroyed ohlins ttx's for sub 1000 pln. Those are rebuildable from almost any condition.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
You sure about that bb height on a trail bike? Since trail riding involves more going over obstacles than DH. Especially given you go with a fairly conservative HA so it's not a small enduro bike.

Also why not a mullet? I know it sounds like a trend but the rolling benefits are waaaay bigger than I thought in mullet vs 27.5''.

As for shocks - look around olx. Not sure if they still pop up but some shops used to sell destroyed ohlins ttx's for sub 1000 pln. Those are rebuildable from almost any condition.
Well, the geo changed, check out the latest post. I bought a 29" domain, to turn it into a mullet, it might not be apparent just by looking at the model/drawings tho.

Coil shock for such design is imho a big nono.

It quite something to cut a frame maybe even more when you gave designed it!
Me 2 years ago
#bachowashere
View attachment 189556
Got moar pics? Looks dope AF!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well, the geo changed, check out the latest post. I bought a 29" domain, to turn it into a mullet, it might not be apparent just by looking at the model/drawings tho.

Coil shock for such design is imho a big nono.

Got moar pics? Looks dope AF!
I don't remember the susp curve. You could always shop around for those old Fox RC4's with the thick shaft since they were inherently progressive. (Plus they took shorter 5th element ti springs quite well if you want to go low weight)

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I don't remember the susp curve. You could always shop around for those old Fox RC4's with the thick shaft since they were inherently progressive. (Plus they took shorter 5th element ti springs quite well if you want to go low weight)
I would end up with some clown ass 600-700lbs spring rate with such a short shock. I don't want to deal with this nonsense. Also, I prefer more "poppy" feel of an air shock with this kind of a bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I would end up with some clown ass 600-700lbs spring rate with such a short shock. I don't want to deal with this nonsense. Also, I prefer more "poppy" feel of an air shock with this kind of a bike.
Ah yes forgot about this. Then again it would be more retro and you could pretend you own a KHS Dh-100 and your shock will overheat mid run ;)