Quantcast

Old Dude's Breakfast - Carbo/Protein Fix

Old_Dude

Monkey
I've been using this for a long time as a great way to have breakfast - almost every morning. If you're building muscle, & training aerobically you'll need to replenish your body with a good mix of carbohydrates & protein. I like the idea of making something quick for breakfast & being able to consume it quick - just comes from being lazy, I guess:

In a blender pour in the following:

8 ounces of orange juice
12 ounces of non-fat cottage cheese
12 ounces of non-fat yougurt
1 bannana (or strawberry equivalent, et cetera)

Blend at highest speed for at least 30 seconds and there you have it. This makes for a portion which is "more" than I'd recommend, but it stores nicely for a later, mid-morning snack also. If you store the drink, the cottage cheese will tend to "curd-up" a little - I kinda like that though. Call me crazy, but I really love this drink, though it's a little on the thick side.

If you're on the road, or don't want the noise, you can cut up apples, bannanas, strawberries - whatever, even toss in raisins & mix the ingredients in a bowl (I substitute a large spoonful of frozen orange juice concentrate instead of using orange juice). This provides a nice "fix" of protein/carbo - ready when you are. BTW, when mixing in a bowl, the fruity taste is more pronounced the next day.

And finally, don't forget to chug a lot of water throughout each day.

Enjoy!

R

RideMonkey

MMM I love blender drinks. Try adding frozen strawberries to the mix, makes it like a smoothy :)

Be careful of the sugar content - OJ and Yogurt both have a ton of sugar (unless you use yogurt sweetened with nutrasweet).

I have this in the am:
5 ice cubes
1/4 cup soy milk
1 banana
1T natural (low sugar) peanut butter
2 scoops vanilla protein powder

500C
12g Fat
40g Carb (mostly from the banana)
62g Protein
29g Sugar (mostly from the banana)

R

RideMonkey

I use plain yogurt for these things. Sweetness comes from the fruit in the mix.