Quantcast

Old Fox 36 Talas Issue – Need a hand

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey guys, I have an 05’ish fox talas that I have been running on my singlespeed in the 110 mm position for quite a while. Well due to some other fork issues I had to swap the 05’ talas over to my Transition Covert for a blackrock/bend trip next weekend.

Swapped the fork over yesterday and went to up the travel back to 160 and it wont drop back down. The talas knob just keeps turning without impact, the fork is stuck at about 135mm-140mm of travel which makes the bike handle a bit odd (it really needs to be at 160)

I am in a bit of a jam and figured I’d see what you guys thought I could do to get the full travel back. The fork has been serviced pretty regularly so neglect probably isn’t the issue, just looking to get this thing running right before I ship my bike tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I have a 05ish Talas 32 on my Trans Am and sometimes run into one of the problems you describe. After winding the dial all the way out to where the long travel position would be I pull on the top crown while holding the brake arch and the fork returns to full travel. I have no idea why this happens and plan to send the fork to Fox at the end of the season. Any how give the old pull apart trick a go and see where it leaves you.
-edit- as far as what is actually wrong with it... Something inside that black magic tube known as talas is not happy and those things are notoriously difficult to service.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have a 05ish Talas 32 on my Trans Am and sometimes run into one of the problems you describe. After winding the dial all the way out to where the long travel position would be I pull on the top crown while holding the brake arch and the fork returns to full travel. I have no idea why this happens and plan to send the fork to Fox at the end of the season. Any how give the old pull apart trick a go and see where it leaves you.
-edit- as far as what is actually wrong with it... Something inside that black magic tube known as talas is not happy and those things are notoriously difficult to service.
That's funny that is what i run it on as well (trans am), i sorta tried what you described last night with no result, ill give it another go tonight...super annoying might have to run a 140mm fork on the covert for my trip.

I do all of my own work on my bikes but that talas tube freaks me out, if they didnt work so damn good 'usually' i would never get that complex with a component choice.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Just an fyi, and I don't know if it makes a difference to you- the pre 07 forks are 150mm. I have an '06 and I've had a similiar problem, but it usually resolves itself with some riding around. Maybe just running the fork through its travel a bunch of times and pulling up on it will help. Good luck!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just an fyi, and I don't know if it makes a difference to you- the pre 07 forks are 150mm. I have an '06 and I've had a similiar problem, but it usually resolves itself with some riding around. Maybe just running the fork through its travel a bunch of times and pulling up on it will help. Good luck!
no **** man, i would never had caught that...just assumed they were the same...i bet you are right, it is only about 10mm off right now, riding it a bit might shake it loose...

alright not like 10mm is going to make or break the ride, this helps.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Yeah, it probably won't go above 150 if you're correct on the year. :) Mine is 150, and it's a rad fork! (I'm a bit jealous when I see my friends 160mm models though)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah, it probably won't go above 150 if you're correct on the year. :) Mine is 150, and it's a rad fork! (I'm a bit jealous when I see my friends 160mm models though)
yeah it's an amazing fork, had it on 2 AM bikes, dh bike for a bit, and now a single speed hardtail...i hope it never dies...if it isnt dead now.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Sounds like you'll have a sweet setup for your trip, have fun! BR is great these days, and I've heard nothing but good things about Bend. If you're just cruising around looking for Oregon riding, hood river (post canyon in the dry, syncline in the wet) is super fun too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Sounds like you'll have a sweet setup for your trip, have fun! BR is great these days, and I've heard nothing but good things about Bend. If you're just cruising around looking for Oregon riding, hood river (post canyon in the dry, syncline in the wet) is super fun too.
That is what I am hearing, my best bud from college lives in Portland, so Syncline is on the bill as well...Sandy Cliffs Trail System as well...