Quantcast

Old mountain bike movies are better then new ones

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I just rewatched earthed 3. The ride quality, stunts, film quality, and camera angles have all gotten better, but the music and excitement have gotten worse. Slow and soulfull songs are lame with mtbs. Give me some fast music, or metal, something that I can headbang to, and don't do slomo every time anything happens. Cornering shots in modern bike movies are the worst offenders, but jumps are lame too. The whole point of somebody smashing a corner so hard their bar almost hits the ground and there is roost everywhere is that they're going ridiculously fast and smasher. I don't want to see it slowed down to 1/100th time, I want to see the corner explode and the rider come smashing out of it. Alex Rankin is the best MTB film maker on the planet, and I'm stoked that he hasn't given in and started making slow newschool NWD/clayporter/anthillfilms/lifecycles/every modern DH movie. Hell, even the old NWD footage was rad.

Dear mountain bike film makers: in your next movies, I would like to see the exact same riders, hitting the exact same trails you're currently filming, only don't slow the movie down to 1/100th time every time they hit a lip, get air, smash a rock garden, or rail a berm. This video has over 100,000 views on freecaster, over 50K on youtube, and I'm sure its been reposted to no end. Its a 3 minute video of one run. I've watched it like 40 times, because its at full speed, and its ridiculous riding.
make your movies like that.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My theory (based on little or no fact) is that it may be easier to shoot stuff in slo-mo because you can just focus on one specific area, versus trying to capture a long section of a course which can properly illustrate how much speed these guys are carrying through rough sections. Although, I have heard the slo-mo cameras are crazy expensive to buy/rent. Personally, I like a mix of both slo-mo and real speed, as it's cool to see how the suspension is working in slo-mo and how the rider's body adjusts to the terrain.

And btw, after me and a buddy watched innumerable old Chain Reaction videos recently, I can assure you that the riding, production, and I would say music (IMO) are all orders of magnitude better in the new films. Those old ones were fun to watch, but mainly because they are comedic fodder. Hell, all the Down series films make me cry like a pepper sprayed Occupy protester.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I was thinking the same thing.

There was a time I would watch the mtb vids over and over again. Stoked every single time. Chain Smoke et al.

Now, I watch a bit of a movie, then turn to something else. I'll get back to it later.

I haven't finished watching 3 Minute Gaps yet. It's awesome, don't get me wrong. The filming, riding & editing is superb, but it doesn't latch me. I've had it on my computer for over a month now and still have not finished it!

Maybe I've changed.

But extreme close ups (just the wheels, just the eyes...) coupled with slow motion are waaaay over done and deserve to be laid to rest.

Aug 23, 2011
Seasons=BESTES yet. Though I found Kranked....(the one where Tyler Klassen breaks his wheel) 4 maybe? I like that one alot. And the Collective cause it got dat 808 swag.yeeeeeee

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
earthed 3, nwd3, follow me...
and whats up with the emo thing nowadays? the movies now have this "intimate, artsy, emogayish" aura to them... i cant stand that whole lifecycles melodrama (although the gambler scene was badass).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I completely disagree and I say this as a fan of heavier music. All the fast hitting metal stuff sounds like **** in those flicks (opinion I know), personally I love where we are now with the new movies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
don't like the soundtracks?

A) go shoot your own footage

B) edit it yourself

C) pick the songs YOU wanna here

D) secure the rights to publish a video with the songs you chose

E) publish movie.

Then maybe you'll finally be happy.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone have a copy of plush 1 and 2 DVD? I lent mine out years ago and can't find them. Can't find any good torrents of them either that actually work :(. Can't find anywhere to buy it either.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
don't like the soundtracks?

A) go shoot your own footage

B) edit it yourself

C) pick the songs YOU wanna here

D) secure the rights to publish a video with the songs you chose

E) publish movie.

Then maybe you'll finally be happy.

Or just mute and play your own thing, which I end up doing sometimes. I did actually like most of the track on Life Cycles and I consider myself to be 'sonically balanced', but sometimes the music just hits the wrong nerve or the audio is mixed poorly and I can understand the gripe. But hey, at least it's different because hearing just metal, ska, or rap for years was monotonous, and I have finally heard both drum and bass and dubstep which I thought I never would.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Or just mute and play your own thing, which I end up doing sometimes. I did actually like most of the track on Life Cycles and I consider myself to be 'sonically balanced', but sometimes the music just hits the wrong nerve or the audio is mixed poorly and I can understand the gripe. But hey, at least it's different because hearing just metal, ska, or rap for years was monotonous, and I have finally heard both drum and bass and dubstep which I thought I never would.
this is another highly recommended option.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I am in 100% agreement with you. If you want some good entertainment, regarding this subject, I'd suggest reading the Team Robot blog.

team robot racing-isnt-funny-its-really-serious

team robot more-consensus
oh man...i was trying to think of a way to sum up my feelings on the subject and those two videos nailed it. I feel like #1 is what everything has become nowadays...and #2 is how it should be...****ing fun as hell, kind of offbeat and goofy, and above all a good time. That's why we ride, right? All the modern videos make me feel like if I don't have my jammies tight enough I'm not mountain biking...the old **** made me want to get out and ride in the woods and have fun doing so.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
All you rankin fans realize that alloutproductions is there for your enjoyment right?

A little more merickan and stuff but his edits are definitely in the same vein.

I agree with the OP though. I attribute it to too many kids getting laid for their first time in an era of chick pants and having never grown up with AC/DC

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I should have mentioned alloutproductions as well. They are b1tching, and make rad movies.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
William42...you are so right on about videos today and that clip of Sam Hill. I can't watch any of the stuff that's out besides Alex Rankin's stuff either. The Sam Hill clip though? It is so insane and this sounds horrible but, the crash at the end just makes it that much better in a way, if you know what I mean. Not that I wanted to see Sam crash there and he should have won. But watching it you're like "oh man! oh man!" and then that crash is just devastating. It's the link I send people who don't know anything about DH racing...

...this is still my favorite DH video though...no slo mo in this one...and even the music is good!

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
its true, its opened my eyes to the number of ways its possible to poorly cook an egg, although their cereal pouring technique is pretty impressive.