Quantcast

old people (part 2) + marriage (part 1)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I ran into a friend on the trail today... she's 55 yo and a badass mtb'er (competitive), skier (moguls, terrain park), roadie (going to France this summer to ride portions of the TdF!), etc.

Her husband is only a few years (cronologically) older than her, but an "old" man... he probably does 5-10% that she does.

If you were to ever get married, would you consider marrying someone who wasn't even remotely as active as you?

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
NO way i just couldent do it. I hate chicks that want to sit at home and wate for me. I dont eaven like dating girls that dont do the stuff i do. I guess its why i have bin single for 6 years.:confused:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
My ex wasn't as active as I am. It was okay at first, but then I think he kinda resented me for it. It was like some kind of jealousy issue. He didn't support me at all.

My current bf is as active I am, but not in all the same activities. We bike and play soccer together, but each have our other things that are our own.

I think you need to be with someone that will at least support you, and understands what your activities mean to you.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
There's too many hot chicks out there to have an active wife following me around all over the place.
I need a wife who is content with being a housewife.

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
cooter and i have different activity levels... but if i dont want to ride that day i still go out with him w/o my bike and just watch him huck or go to the dirt jumps and watch him there... i enjoy spending time with him even if i am not always doing the same activity as him... spectating is fun too...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I think it depends on what you want out of life...usually if each person has their own activities that mean a lot to them, it should make up for it ...right? :) It's probably also harder on guys if the girl is the one that is way more active, kind of a reversal of roles and all that.

Me? I enjoy getting my tush handed to me by my sweetie, and I enjoy challenging him to try :D :p It's kinda cool to be able to go with on some of the adventures and play at my level and know it's cool, and he can play at his level.

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Me? I enjoy getting my tush handed to me by my sweetie, and I enjoy challenging him to try :D :p It's kinda cool to be able to go with on some of the adventures and play at my level and know it's cool, and he can play at his level.
we were just talking to a dude this weekend at the race who was talking about whistler and cooter sd, yeah we are gonna go sometime... we just gotta... and the dude said... uh, dont take the old lady cuz she wont be able to do all the stuff u want and it will hold you back... and i said... heck no, i wont... we will meet up in the AM and again for lunch and then at the end of the day but there is no way i would tag along behind him and hold him back in whistler... they have ALL KINDS of stuff to keep someone with my skill level busy and cooter can go huck and jump and ride to his hearts content without having to worry about me bringing up the FAR REAR! haha...

its fun to have the same activities and enjoy them together but playing at our own levels is sooo important for their progression and your own... i would rather bite it alone without cooters audience, if i am gonna try something that is challenging for the first time!! ha ha

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by TULSATUMBLERSGF
we were just talking to a dude this weekend at the race who was talking about whistler and cooter sd, yeah we are gonna go sometime... we just gotta... and the dude said... uh, dont take the old lady cuz she wont be able to do all the stuff u want and it will hold you back...
Whatevah!!! :rolleyes: I got to play up there for the first time this past Sunday...I finally understand the term "whistlerized!"

Everything was so safe, and easy...I'm a pretty slow moving rider, and don't like to crash a lot so I don't take a lot of risk. I figure...I'm about an intermediate level rider, I have a good time on my bike, and I don't really qualify as a beginner any more, but I also didn't think I'd be up on the harder trails.

WRONG! :) It was so much fun, and fast and awesome! I was able to ride all (well not all, I rode a couple and they were good) the single black diamond trails, I didn't move up to the double blacks yet, but I don't think that stuff is out of reach. I just need a little more time getting comfortable with higher speeds. When y'all come out here, you should definitely post it in the PNW forum so we can all hook up for some wheel time and maybe a good beer or two ;).

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
When y'all come out here, you should definitely post it in the PNW forum so we can all hook up for some wheel time and maybe a good beer or two ;).
omg... that is sooo good to hear that there was a lot of stuff for everyone... awesome... im afraid of REALLY steep and drops... but other than that, i love to ride...

we would LOVE to hang with ya'll and you could show me the good stuff to ride... and the beers, those are a given! ha ha

redbull in Virgin UT is a FOR SURE in october... maybe ya'll could head over there in OCtober and hang out and ride flying monkey with cooter...

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by TULSATUMBLERSGF
omg... that is sooo good to hear that there was a lot of stuff for everyone... awesome... im afraid of REALLY steep and drops... but other than that, i love to ride...

we would LOVE to hang with ya'll and you could show me the good stuff to ride... and the beers, those are a given! ha ha

redbull in Virgin UT is a FOR SURE in october... maybe ya'll could head over there in OCtober and hang out and ride flying monkey with cooter...
:) Me too! hehe, I've been a horrible chicken for the last year, and haven't really ridden much other than XC and road. I figured start on the Green and work my way up there. Except the Green was REALLY green, and the Blue lines weren't much better. I thought it was way cool the number of guys out there working with their girlfriends and making sure they got down safe and were comfortable.

I caught one couple my first run down for the day on B-line - again wayyy easy and signs are posted that the slower riders have the right of way and fast riding is prohibited on that trail...she was so nervous but was doing awesome! When I caught up to her she said something that I remember saying quite well...I slowed down, wayy down, behind her and gave her lots of warning I was gonna pass, and she goes "oookay...it's my first time" :thumb: she was a total trooper on a Canondale that looked a wee bit big for her.

The other thing that's awesome is if you end up on a trail over your head, there's easy-outs around the tougher obstacles so there are no mandatory drops or anything...at least on the black diamonds I rode.

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
:)

The other thing that's awesome is if you end up on a trail over your head, there's easy-outs around the tougher obstacles so there are no mandatory drops or anything...at least on the black diamonds I rode.
that is sooo phuckin cool... i cant wait now... i was kinda bummed that i wouldnt get to see cooter do "his thing" in whistler cuz i wouldnt be able to go on some of the trials, but yet excited about getting to ride some fun new stuff... i cant wait... we are really gonna hve to start saving the dough for a trip to whistler for sure!:D

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
My wife and I (5 year anniversay just this past Saturday - 9 years together total) don't ride together at all. She was very active in High School (softball and basketball) but she blew out her knees in basketball, didn't do her physical therapy and now her knees are bad. Plus, she's convinced she has bad balance and so bikes really freak her out.

She's active in her own way... she certainly doesn't sit on the couch waiting for me to come home from a ride. I can't imagine her NOT doing something. She's got so much energy that sitting for more than 2 hours gets her all annoyed.

I will get her on a bike, though. Once we move to Tucson later this summer, I'm going to get her a hybrid to start on.