Quantcast

old records

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Holy shit. Was just deep down the youtube rabbit hole and was watching dudes from hardcore bands go to record stores and dig through crates. It inspired me to look at my record collection. The 7"s were downstairs and in good shape. Lots of awesome stuff I'd forgotten about. Gonna have to go into the attic tomorrow and find the (hopefully not super warped) 12"s. Will maybe post up a series of pics of the 7"s starting tomorrow.

Dig through your crates. Whatcha got???

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
from clash, i also have give 'em enough rope and cut the crap, as well as a few singles.

i also have a near perfect early pressing of "dark side of the moon", still has the stickers and posters that came with it. as far as i can track down its not an original pressing, but second or maybe 3rd pressing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have kind of an eclectic mix, a lot of classic rock and other stuff too - AC/DC, Hendrix, Judas Priest, GNR, Meatloaf, Rush, Van Halen, WASP, Quiet Riot, Michael Jackson - Thriller

i even have a vinyl copy of Wu Tang Forever.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My collection is vast and varied. Where to start? Probably with the best:
16C595F0-5435-4D72-90C4-7E962592C1F0.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
on this topic, my older receiver finally died a while back. my current/new/only receiver does not have a built in pre-amp, open to suggestions.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
on this topic, my older receiver finally died a while back. my current/new/only receiver does not have a built in pre-amp, open to suggestions.
Maybe grab one of these?

My receiver has a built in pre-amp but this made a HUGE improvement in my system.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
my receiver isn't anything fancy, Onkyo HT-R560
Neither is mine (Harmon Kardon HK 3490) but I'm telling ya the difference was night and day. Used a Pro-Ject pre-amp for a while as well (don't remember the model) and it made a HUGE difference too. I'm no Audiophile but I don't believe the pre-amps in lower end receivers are that fantastic. Maybe grab something off eBay and give it a try?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Neither is mine (Harmon Kardon HK 3490) but I'm telling ya the difference was night and day. Used a Pro-Ject pre-amp for a while as well (don't remember the model) and it made a HUGE difference too. I'm no Audiophile but I don't believe the pre-amps in lower end receivers are that fantastic. Maybe grab something off eBay and give it a try?
yea my understanding is i'm better off with a standalone pre-amp

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Ok, serious question.”what is the allure of records?” Sound quality is like listening to, well, a record. It’s not great. Is it a nostalgia thing? I e never personally owned a record but listened to some of my parents shit from the 70s and 80s and man It’s rough on the ears..

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok, serious question.”what is the allure of records?” Sound quality is like listening to, well, a record. It’s not great. Is it a nostalgia thing? I e never personally owned a record but listened to some of my parents shit from the 70s and 80s and man It’s rough on the ears..
analog audio vs digital. you gotta crank it if you really wanna hear it. more barn!

your parents old records are probably rough from use. every time you play a record, the physical contact on the needle puts wear on the grooves. if i ever wind up rich i'm getting one of those super monocle laser turntables that don't put wear on the vinyl.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Absolutely. It has to do with the quality of the pressing in the first place too....and how clean the records (and stylus) are. To be fair, records are way more work than something digital but there is something fun about collecting them. To me when vinyl is good, it sounds fantastic. When it's not, it's meh. In my experience keeping them clean is the most work/time consuming of all of it. In the end, it's just another hobby.

Here's my cleaning setup.

Attachments

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
All my vinyl got tossed when I was in the Navy and the folks sold the house. I haven't had a turntable since then, so I haven't aquired more. But the Vandals just released a limited that I really want.

THEVANDALS_LFD_SPLATTER_VINYL_1_1080x.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Absolutely. It has to do with the quality of the pressing in the first place too....and how clean the records (and stylus) are. To be fair, records are way more work than something digital but there is something fun about collecting them. To me when vinyl is good, it sounds fantastic. When it's not, it's meh. In my experience keeping them clean is the most work/time consuming of all of it. In the end, it's just another hobby.

Here's my cleaning setup.
that's why some of my stuff i rarely play. my copy of dark side doesn't actually look like it ever got played. i discovered it when i was cleaning out the basement at my father in laws house when he died.

i'd love a laser turntable, but they're still north of 10g. with the resurgence in vinyl, i'm hoping for renewed interest in them to get prices lower, but i'm not gonna hold my breath.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It's different things for different people.
- With old records, that was the only available format when the music was released.
- Some love the big, physical album art and (often) extra effort that goes into producing this format. When was the last time you read lyrics or liner notes on your streaming record/mp3?
- Playing records forces you into a different mode - you pretty much have to put it on and let the thing play – no skipping around unless you want to get up a lot. It forces an appreciation of the record as a whole rather than just a single track.
- Some like the collecting aspect.
- Some like the exclusivity. These things are limited sets, so rarity is a draw for some.
- Some folks like the way music sounds on vinyl over other formats. Studies have shown that music with a bit of grit/noise in it is preferred to super clean/pristine recordings. (don't have the study at hand).
- Today, records are a way artists can make money. Streaming pays nothing. Touring is done. But a stack of records sold at $20-30 a pop is going to mean you can pay rent, and maybe get some studio time in.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
a lot of small punk/hardcore bands only put out releases on vinyl back in the 80s/90s.

also, yeah, it's kind of a hobby/rarity thing...limited editions, colored vinyl, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a lot of small punk/hardcore bands only put out releases on vinyl back in the 80s/90s.

also, yeah, it's kind of a hobby/rarity thing...limited editions, colored vinyl, etc.
i have a copy of designs for automation by snapcase in orange vinyl.

i have a toxic narcotic single that has an image printed

my copy of disco before the breakdown is clear

i also have a clear judas priest record.

i also have the 2014 reissue of cock sparrer's shock troops that's multicolor

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i think part of it back then it was also less expensive to put out smaller runs of records (10k copies or less).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i think part of it back then it was also less expensive to put out smaller runs of records (10k copies or less).
producing records certainly used to be a lot cheaper than it is now! Vinyl presses are scrambling to keep up with the orders, others are producing new machines from scratch.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
producing records certainly used to be a lot cheaper than it is now! Vinyl presses are scrambling to keep up with the orders, others are producing new machines from scratch.
Once cd writers got cheap in the late 90s vinyl all but died. I'm glad it's coming back
I forgot I have daft punks latest album on vinyl too

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Once cd writers got cheap in the late 90s vinyl all but died. I'm glad it's coming back
I forgot I have daft punks latest album on vinyl too
Yup, it was pretty much only djs and collectors at that point. Making records on vinyl was pretty dirt cheap at that point – my brother did a few thousand.

Haven't heard daft punk's latest, but Homework is an all-time fav.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Most early punk music was atrocious in regards to audio quality, the better the system the worse it will sound, hahaha!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
just dragged my 12"s down from the attic. most ok, a few slightly warped...am putting them horizontally (they were vertical, but leaning, in the box). hopefully they will relax after being that way for a while.
1601687939294.jpeg

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Thread drift, if I may...

Do you remeber the first vinyl record you bought?
Sabbath: we sold our soul for rock and roll. It had been out a year or two, I was maybe 10.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i also got a set of 10 tapes for xmas along with my first boom box when i was maybe 8...one of them was iron maiden's powerslave...because aces high