Quantcast

Old Rim w/ new hub ?

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Tried to get an answer in tech talk.

Can I build up an old 521 to a new King hub ?

Got a shot @ the King cheap ($225) . 521 is laced to XT (working perfectly) w/ 14ga & brass.

Figure I'll save the $ on the rim...

How about spokes are they no good ?

Thanks. I'm no wheel builder.

PS doing it for weight and I dig on King rear hubs...

RaID

Turbo Monkey
if your rim is in good nick
i dont see why you couldnt built up the old
rim on the new king hub as long as each has the same amount of holes

as for spokes, dont reuse spokes
when a building a wheel Always use new spokes

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I'll just agree with RaID. Although, it'd be nice if you got a new rim as well, that way you'll have a wheel that'll potentially last longer. Chuck your old spokes, although save a few to make handy little things for the workshop (like sharpening one to use to pick out rocks/glass from your tyre, and making a C shape out of a spoke to help when yuo rejoin chains)

Either way, as long as your old rim isn't belted out of shape, you should be fine. Get it laced up nice and tight by someone with experience, and you'll be rolling...

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
do what you like, but if the old wheel with an XT hub adn 521 is in good shape you could just sell it, get the cash for a new rim, spokes, and probably pay for a bit of the King hub, then you have a full new setup, usually not worth tearing apart a wheel that works in my opinion

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Unless the rim is almost new, I wouldn't do it. I recently did it on a friends bike. His XT hub blew up on a new wheel on his trail bike so I relaced the rim to a King. The rim was perfect before the hub crapped out. If you decide to do it, don't clip your old spokes or it can tweak the rim. Slowly loosen all the spokes and untension the wheel evenly. This will keep the rim in good shape for your next hub.

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by Ronny Grady
do what you like, but if the old wheel with an XT hub adn 521 is in good shape you could just sell it, get the cash for a new rim, spokes, and probably pay for a bit of the King hub, then you have a full new setup, usually not worth tearing apart a wheel that works in my opinion

I agree. sell the whole wheel and it will pay for the new rim and spokes and maybe even the labor for the wheel build......

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
dude, don't do it. you'll save yourself what, $50 on a new rim, and you'll just have to rebuild your wheel that much sooner, meaning new spokes and the cost of a build. You probably won't get much if you sell the wheel, either, as XTs in pre-built wheels are relatively cheap ($120/pair or so, maybe more for the 521). Keep it as a spare, or use it in the winter/crappy weather/etc.

dante

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You didn't say how old the rim is but it almost doesn't matter, don't do it. Easy for us to say, but if you need new spokes anyway (and you do, spokes should never be reused) the cost of a rim is not that much more and you'll save time, money and aggravation down the road. Rims have a limited life span made shorter by tensioning, detensioning, and rebuilding.

Save the old wheel for a spare or to practice your own wheelbuilding.