Quantcast

Old school GT DHI question

boostin

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
Calgray, AB, Canada
Hey guys, I am new to this sight but not new to bikes.

I recently scored a new old stock GT DHI frame from 2001, never ridden!

But here is the question.....

I am looking at upgrading the rear shock from the van RC to something either air like a manitou Evolver ISX 6 or Revox IS6.

But it is a odd size, 63mm strok and about 225mm stroke give or take 5mm.

Now this by no means is a common shock size, but I have read lots of people that have changed the shock to a longer one but i was wondering what size you switched to.

From the best I can figure is 215mm by 63mm and make a new little rear shock plate.

If any one remembers these bikes please help.

thanks

mike

Last edited:

boostin

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
Calgray, AB, Canada
You should be able to run a 8.75x2.75 on that back with the plates in the "steep" position just fine.
I actually had one of these shocks and set it up on the frame with out a spring and the frames linkage ran out of travel before the shock did.....

actually i never tried it with the plates in " steep"...let me give that a try...

mike

boostin

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
Calgray, AB, Canada
This works
Hey

do u know this works from speculation and or for a fact, I just kinda wanna make sure everything is right cause these are not so easy to find parts for.

This bike was on pink bike being sold by a bike shop... looked like no one wanted it cause it was on there for almost a month

I only got one day of riding on it before canadas winter came but i was impressed!!

Yes i am a little concerned about the swing arm, hope its ok or i can find a spare!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Yes. I have done it. However, I didnt try to bottom the shock without a spring. I have a dhi frame in my basement to try it with.

Please try this first: Take the shock off.
8.72-2.75=6".
Rotate the swing arm until the eye to eye is 6".