Quantcast

Old School Rules

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
What I think is kinda funny is that they came out with the Tag Wheels and NO ONE seemed to even give them a shot. Yet EVERYONE seems to have a weakspot for old school mags! What gives? I LOVED my mags back in the 90's, wheels just weren't an issue. Ever!

Hey, anyone remember "pool" tires??? No tread whatsoever, just wear indicator divots every 10 inches or so. Mine were always either pink or white.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
The only person that could make Tuff's look good on a cruiser:

I'll see if you guys know who these 2 legends are in the pic.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That's you, right? With a nasty leary... Harry would be proud.
haha, Thanks. Yeah, that Leary is me at the trails I had in my parents backyard back in '85 or so. 8 acres of woods and me in high school at the time, I just dug and rode. It was pretty dialed setup especially for the time. We had a mini half for skating too around '88. Bike is a Hutch Pro Racer that I had just repainted w/ a rattle can a few days earlier.

That exact spot/jump where the picture was taken is a little interesting in that:
- It was the same spot for my first real jump. My dad made a tabletop w/ a backhoe so I could practice for racing. I then built some bigger lips on each side and would practice speed jumps thru the center
- I broke 2 forks on that jump - one set was on a beater Huffy. I ended up needing to spend a night in the hospital as I cleaned my clock a bit - I broke the fork in 2 at the steerer tube. The other was on an old Hutch trying to learn un-turndowns and got the bars caught in my pants - broke the dropouts.
- My friend Scott came over one day to ride and said the tabletop was too small so we built a new lip a few feet in front of it and used the tabletop as a landing.
- In that pic it's at the point where we made it a tabletop again so my younger brother could jump it and not worry about clearing it. From what I remember it had a nice poppy lip and was pretty long.
- We finally tore it down and flattened it out to make room for a halfpipe for skating. On that same half, I dislocated my shoulder for the first of many times.

Weird how there were lots of good and bad times just from one little area.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
OGRipper - cool pics - that ad w/ Buff is great as it's a ripoff of an for RadPads (IIRC).

Very strange is I just found a pdf file of that issue of BMX Action you put up. I can send the link to whomever is intereted in it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OGRipper - cool pics - that ad w/ Buff is great as it's a ripoff of an for RadPads (IIRC).

Very strange is I just found a pdf file of that issue of BMX Action you put up. I can send the link to whomever is intereted in it.
I'm interested, post it up or drop me a PM. I remember reading the how-to on kick-turn 540's and the included quote along the lines of "If you can do this, go find a sponsor" (or something like that) then going out and learning them in like a day. Never did get beyond an LBS sponsor though...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Haha! Wow... Found this old pic of my "freestyle team" from WAAAAY back in the day.
Name the bikes? Mine's the pink one and I'm the dork with what appears to be a goddamn MULLET! I didn't even know I ever had one! Back then we just shaved the sides of our heads, didn't think anything of it!
The back of our shirts say River City Freestylers...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Raliegh on the table, pink Skyway Street Beat or Street Styler(can't even remember what the diff was now), red/white Schwinn Predator, and the blue one was just a Dyno knock-off. Ahhhh thems were the days. I LIVED on that Skyway, and now can't find time to ride. THAT'S what sucks the most about getting old.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
My driveway around '82. I've got lots left over from BITD. Kind of a packrat with my stuff. Still have that Panda ProAm I'm dropping in on. I found this place through VintageBMX.com

Good thread.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I was more "middle" school than true old school. This isn't close to the radness of Don's leary, but at least I'm wearing some hot pink...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Cru - that is rad! I have some mid-school flavor myself as I was riding a lot up to the summer of '88 (according to the "higher ups" on Vintage - old school ended in '85). I then got back into it in '95 when I started riding trails and reading Snap mags and watching Props vids.

And whatcha running there? 1 1/8" or 1 3/8" wheels? Uni seat? Echo or Ecko helmet (btw, I loved those Euro wrap visors). Can't tell the plate - Crit? Zeronine? Extra cool factor if those are your goggle mask around your neck. My guess for the year is 1991.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
This is sometime before '82. Bunnyhop over our BMX track's director and his son in a random parade. On an aluminum Race Inc. no less. One of the few bikes that got away from my past.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Cru - that is rad! I have some mid-school flavor myself as I was riding a lot up to the summer of '88 (according to the "higher ups" on Vintage - old school ended in '85). I then got back into it in '95 when I started riding trails and reading Snap mags and watching Props vids.

And whatcha running there? 1 1/8" or 1 3/8" wheels? Uni seat? Echo or Ecko helmet (btw, I loved those Euro wrap visors). Can't tell the plate - Crit? Zeronine? Extra cool factor if those are your goggle mask around your neck. My guess for the year is 1991.
I think you're right on the year. It could be '92. Yeah, 1 1/8" wheels, Uni seat, Ecko helmet, Big Daddy Ralph's team uniform, and, of course, Vans. I started to wear the mask (sometimes) after I knocked out a tooth in a crash while I was wearing a jofa. I'm trying to remember the frame I was on, I think it was either a MCS or an ELF.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm not sure I see much of a difference between a turndown and a leary though, educate me:bonk: :banana:
The biggest difference is that with a leary your legs are bent and with a turndown your legs are straight. That and the bike is usually in a more vertical position in a turndown. They are close enough, though, that Harry Leary is generally credited with inventing the turndown.

Leary

Turndown

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
CHepler - I built that same ramp - from the plans in one of the issues of BMXA right? 6ft wide, around 6 ft tall, and not the most stable thing. I put a vert extension on my so it would pop me up and out. We had lots of fun on that ramp.