Quantcast

Old School!

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just came across this vid of the Mammoth National Championships circa 1990. These guys were nuts!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ah, the glory days of Norba.

The DH was nuts. I can't imagine Kamikaze on a rigid canti bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I realized that I was racing road in 1990, and I had no idea about mountain bikes existed...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Damn...The crash like 97% through where the guy got messed up, and went up onto the hill on the side, then almost hit the person sitting there, before flying off his bike 15-30' back onto the road.

That was crazy.

1990 was a year after I was born. I started mtbing in in about 1996-7. After school, when I was about 8-9, I went up into the trails and fireroads of chairy canyon. I climbed up for 40min and then pedaled down the fireroads or singletrack as fast i could (w/o getting too out of control).

At the time, I had no idea about downhill racing or suspension. At that time, I was riding a Gary Fisher ridgid tyro (24" wheels).

About 4-5 years later, I got a bmx bike and sucked at it. Then, I got a freeride bike, a level betty with a Judy XL and a RS Superdeluxe shock (old school). Then, it broke and I got a Hardtail. I got a bullit recently and the hardtail broke soon after (Bjanga thinks the bullit was jealous...:D).

Damn, sorry for my mtb life story. :p

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
we HAVE come a long way baby!

I did kami in 1991 tange switchblade with 1.5'' of travel and cantis 1.95 ground controls S tires.

yeah, it was a ride for sure.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i love watching the old school stuff. i think that the kamakaze run should still be races. i know its open and fast but damn if it takes alot of skill to get down the thing fast. also the wrecks on it are always classics.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
reminds me of my first dh on blackcomb mountain (circa ~1989). the race started at the roundhouse & dropped to the blackcomb base primarily on the access road. course length was about 15k. can't remember if i was on the new (2") rockshox rs-1 yet or still running the rigid switchblade (on a hardtail with cantis of course). i do remember the full lycra gear (including lycra covered xc lid), no armor & spinning out my 48t ring, though. scary fun.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Hey, I'm not saying it wasn't hard. Just wondering what they actually rode down back then, couldn't really see any corners or tight singletrack or tech stuff.
The Kamikaze was actually the first "real" downhill race (other than the grasroots ones held in Marin). They originally planned it as a mass start race, but realized that would mean certain death for some.

They also had the Ezakimak hillclimb (kamikaze backwards.. clever).

Even on todays bikes, that trail is still pretty challenging. Insane speeds, drifty corners, braking bumps, blind "no brakes" corners that if you hit the brakes, you will slide off a 30-50' rock strewn cliff.

It's a classic.

i like this video.

i just don't understand why "slalom" looks like some sort of 3 stooges cyclocross.
Three stooges is exactly what it looks like! :cheers:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
So why are the guys running around carrying their bikes in the slalom races? I get it that it's probabally faster to get off and run around that little loop than it is to try and ride it and loose your momentum in a few spots, but the way it looks is more like cyclocross than slalom. I was about 12 years old when this race was going on, I read about it in magazines but I never saw the race. Someone tell me that this was the carnage and gag reel not the best of or highlights. I'd have expected a lot more skill from the worlds top pros. (Except on the Kamikazee, that's just nuts, anybody could crash hard on that one.)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The Kamikaze was actually the first "real" downhill race (other than the grasroots ones held in Marin). They originally planned it as a mass start race, but realized that would mean certain death for some.

They also had the Ezakimak hillclimb (kamikaze backwards.. clever).

Even on todays bikes, that trail is still pretty challenging. Insane speeds, drifty corners, braking bumps, blind "no brakes" corners that if you hit the brakes, you will slide off a 30-50' rock strewn cliff.

It's a classic.
I did the kamikaze a few times. The actual "racing line" was no more than 6-8" wide in most spots. As soon as you got off line, you were "in the marbles" to use a nascar term. You don't want to be in the marbles on a bicycle at 60mph. This is especially true when your left hand side is a 60ft, near vertical cliff.

There are plenty of corners as well. 50 mph, loose, switbacks without brakes. Long sweeping 55mph corners without brakes etc. Blind corners, in a tuck, on loose stuff, with a 60ft cliff to one side and nothing but snowfence between you and it. It was a hell of a race.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Speaking of Tomac, even with the crappy compression on that video it was super easy to pick him out in both the slalom and Dh footage.

Such badass style.

I remember the two up races on the Kamikazi. Think it was called the Eliminator or something. That was fun to watch. It became a match race to see who would take the front, as the second guy in second would stay there and jump out of the draft at the second to last corner and sprint for the win.
Was a lot more fun the first time they ran it because no one had figured out that strategy so it was crazy passing in and out of the corners all the way.
And Bob Seals racing down the Kamikazi on a beach cruiser with a basket on teh front, while wearing a speado and a helmet and nothing else. That guy was the last truly wacky dude in the business.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
If only we could travel back in time with a sunday world cup and a set of 2.7 tires.

We'd be such pimps. Although losing a race would be seriously demoralizing.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
in 1990 I was 10 years old and went with my dad to mammoth for the first time. I rode Kamikaze on a specialized hardrock with a rack and saddlebags on the back and a white and neon green Etto helmet.

It was the first time I ever got my big ring spinning so fast that it was useless to pedal. We got to the bottom and and both my dad and I decided our hands were too tired to hit it again. The next time I hit Kamakazi I was 10 years older and had disc brakes.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I remember the two up races on the Kamikazi. Think it was called the Eliminator or something. That was fun to watch. It became a match race to see who would take the front, as the second guy in second would stay there and jump out of the draft at the second to last corner and sprint for the win.
Was a lot more fun the first time they ran it because no one had figured out that strategy so it was crazy passing in and out of the corners all the way.
And Bob Seals racing down the Kamikazi on a beach cruiser with a basket on teh front, while wearing a speado and a helmet and nothing else. That guy was the last truly wacky dude in the business.
Yea, that was the "Rebok Eliminator" with TV coverage and everything.

Thats when the sport had big money.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I remeber buying a really dumb pair of Reebok light hiking boots because Myles Rockwell wore then in a Cannondale Ad. They were saweet! I then won a seyvlor inflatable Kayak for winning a trivia contest at the Reebok-V/C booth at a national 2 months later and felt vindicated for my stupidity. Still have the kayak, and I regularly use it.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I didn't know that the ds participants were also required to
be drunk when they raced!
I know mammoth soil is loose I've went down myself but
these guys were stugglin'

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I remeber buying a really dumb pair of Reebok light hiking boots because Myles Rockwell wore then in a Cannondale Ad. They were saweet! I then won a seyvlor inflatable Kayak for winning a trivia contest at the Reebok-V/C booth at a national 2 months later and felt vindicated for my stupidity. Still have the kayak, and I regularly use it.
We've got that same ad at my shop!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
BUMP! Love the oldschool!

Check out these two vids:

In the first vid, Vouilloz RIPS appart everydoby else.

In the second, it's all about Cully.

Post some more if you have some!

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Awesome post! I used to have that Cap d'Ail vid on tape, and i must have seen it so often that i still remember it shot by shot; got to ride the track the next year and loved it.