Quantcast

(old schoolers) Memorial thread for JustJames

Many of you remember James aka JustJames aka James@Giant.

His wife just posted on FB that he passed away. He was young and it makes me sad. I have no other details.

While I never met him in person, when I wanted to buy my first road bike, I settled on a Giant OCR1 - problem was there were none to be found because they were very popular that year. I contacted him and he told me to have my shop call him. They did and I had the bike within a week.

Over the years I always picked his brains about road tires and he was always happy to chat with me about them.

RIP James.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Damn just read it on Facebook too. I seriously just thought about writing him yesterday as we had not talked in a while. He had a huge crash on his road bike when a car ran in front of him which caused a brain injury but no idea if that had anything to do with his death. He leaves behind a loving wife and three wonderful kids so sad. James has helped me so many times over the years such a cool guy.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Fuck...

He gave me a sweet deal on some carbon sole Nike shoes way back, still remember it. Seemed like a great dude.

RIP

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
RIP James. Remember you from the early days. You were always grounded, professional and ready to offer assistance. Sad.

Damn just read it on Facebook too. I seriously just thought about writing him yesterday as we had not talked in a while. He had a huge crash on his road bike when a car ran in front of him which caused a brain injury but no idea if that had anything to do with his death. He leaves behind a loving wife and three wonderful kids so sad. James has helped me so many times over the years such a cool guy.
Was this recent or are you referring to his accident in 2016?

I was hoping this was not a bike vs car accident.....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I saw from Tara's IG post this morning. fucking gutted. I met James through RM at Sea Otter in 2005 when I was 17, and we've been friends ever since. He was one of the kindest people I've ever had the chance to get close to, and I never told him that. The world's a lot worse off without him.

help out the family if you're able - karie and the kids need it: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-the-winchester-family

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ugh. Dude got me my first opportunity for a real job in the bike industry at Giant. But I followed a girl and stayed in SF. Great guy. I haven't seen him in 20 years, but being that great of a person doesn't just change. World lost a good one here. RIP James.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It was Just James and Lord Opie who told me that the Local Rochester Monkeys were talking shit behind my back about me. Calling me a drug addict, trail Nazi, and a criminal. People who to my face called me a friend. I am still here. They are not. Certain current Monkeys also participated in that gossip. I know who you are. Out of respect I will keep that info to myself. His advice on how I handled myself concerning Tryon Park was very useful. I never see any of these folks riding in Tryon. He pointed out how petty they were when they tore down the Stone bridge, I built over Ecoli Creek. He advised me not to point out who those Monkeys were. I never have.