Quantcast

Old Skool RM Member Looking for Kind-Hearted Help

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Looking for help in building a stock trials bike for a 14yr old that just lost his mom. He needs something to positively occupy his time. I plan to teach him how to put a bike together, perform maintenance, and of course...ride trials.

I have had some people already donate a frame, fork, stem, RDR, seatpost, shifter, front wheel, brakes, 5-bolt bashring and front ring. I'm donating tires, BB, tubes, and bar.

I will pay to ship whatever you can donate. Here is what I still need:

- 5-Bolt Cranks (Square Taper or ISIS...I have a BB for either)
- Skewers
- Cassette (preferably an 8-speed road)
- Rear Hub (Old Hope Bulb or Hadley..LX Silent Clutch?? Anybody got one of those?)
- Grips (prefer lock ons if people have them...they just gotta work, not be pretty)
- Used Wellgo, DMR, Planet X (pin grip) pedals
- 8-speed Cain

Thanks in advance for lookin'. Any help is appreciated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
word... I have an older Zoo! pitbull frame, a pair of magura hs-33's, and some other misc parts that'd I was on the fence about selling... but for something like this I'd be willing to part with them.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
word... I have an older Zoo! pitbull frame, a pair of magura hs-33's, and some other misc parts that'd I was on the fence about selling... but for something like this I'd be willing to part with them.
I've updated the original post to list what I need. What is the TT of the frame? The one that was donated is a long frame for someone 5'6" even with a short stem...not to mention it has a REALLY bad dent in the downtube.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
offhand, not sure what the TT is, I can measure tonight. I'm 6' so it might be too big anyways. My frame has a minor dent in the downtube - hasn't affected anything in my 2 years of riding it. Other than that the only problems are cosmetic. And I have a spare sticker kit for it. I'll snap some pics tonight if you want.

The frame you have, does the rear brake take a standard 4-bolt mount? I know my frame is 4-bolt rear, but the fork I'm using is a QR style front. I'll look through my hardware to see if I have any extra 4-bolt mounts.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
offhand, not sure what the TT is, I can measure tonight. I'm 6' so it might be too big anyways. My frame has a minor dent in the downtube - hasn't affected anything in my 2 years of riding it. Other than that the only problems are cosmetic. And I have a spare sticker kit for it. I'll snap some pics tonight if you want.

The frame you have, does the rear brake take a standard 4-bolt mount? I know my frame is 4-bolt rear, but the fork I'm using is a QR style front. I'll look through my hardware to see if I have any extra 4-bolt mounts.
Shots would be rad.

The frame I have is an OLD Planet X Zebdi with standard brake posts. The front fork is the only thing that has a 4-bolt mount. Wish it were the other way around, heh.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I definatly can get a grip shifter, and maybe a cassette. Send me a PM, and I'll rumage and see what I can find.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Also, are you looking for a 110 or a 94mm BCD crank? I may be able to help out there too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BTW, the HS-33s would be great. I'm fine with if the lines need to be replaced or if they need to be re-bled, I can do that.
they just need re-bled.

Also, not exactly sure how to get the TT measurement on my frame... its a new skool trials frame that doesn't have a seat... not sure if that would matter to you?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Damn, I had a stock trials crank that I couldn't get rid of for a long time and I ended up practically giving it away. I'll see what else I have around.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey bonk i just took a bunch of photos... i'll PM you the links once i get them posted (my camera battery needs to recharge first).

oh and the wheel base with the fork I have on it right now is 41"~42" (1060mm) if that helps you at all (according to zoo's site it would be a short frame)

edit: i just remember i have a bunch of extra derailler hangers for it too.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
hey bonk i just took a bunch of photos... i'll PM you the links once i get them posted (my camera battery needs to recharge first).

oh and the wheel base with the fork I have on it right now is 41"~42" (1060mm) if that helps you at all (according to zoo's site it would be a short frame)

edit: i just remember i have a bunch of extra derailler hangers for it too.
It'll give me a good idea. I'll have to go down to the basement tomorrow and measure the other frame. Don't want to wake my lady up walking around the house right now. She's passed out right next to me. I'll look for your PM. Thanks again.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I've got some used wellgo platform pedals if you need them I don't think the pins are replaceable, but I haven't looked that closely to see if they are or not... They've still got a lot of life left in them though.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
I still need:

- 5-Bolt Cranks 94mm BCD (Square Taper or ISIS...I have a BB for either)
- Skewers
- HS-33 Brakes (fork that was donated needs a front Magura HS-33 as it's a 4-bolt mount...unless someone has trials brake post fork to donate)
- Cassette (preferably an 8-speed road, gonna drop the top two for spacers the chain can slide on for rolling backward)
- XC to Ryno Lite style front wheel
- Ryno lite or heftier rear wheel (dreaming of a hope bulb or better engagement hub for him)
- Grips (ODI lock jaw grips...ruffians if people have them. Grips get torqued a lot riding trials)
- An old short length 6-speed grip shifter (one that I could trim down even shorter)
- Used Wellgo, DMR, Planet X pedals (any kind that has pins...the PX Clingons used to be great)

Forgot to list a few things before:
- Headset (the one I have in the frame is just cups w/o top race or bearings)
- Chain (8-speed if an 8-speed cassette gets donated)
- Tioga DH 2.3" Rear (would be better than what I can offer the kid)
- Huchinson Python Airlight 2.0" (would be better than what I can offer the kid)

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
I have pedals, forks, grips, posts, 60%+ of two completed bikes that would be perfect.

I've been slacking in my donation bike efforts as work is kicking my ass.

Bonk, lemme know if finishing this build is something you're interested in. I can send it at my cost: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181319
Thank you for the offer on the K2, but I'm lookin' to get him a trials specific bike built up. I'll try to post a pic of all I have so far. Maybe it'll inspire people.