Quantcast

Old vs new downhill bikes

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That's because they're on bikes that weigh 31 fkn pounds! That's what my trailbike weighs. Those aren't what most people would consider dh wheels. They're saving weight somewhere with pinner bits.
This confirmed? I remember not so long ago, like 2010 ish many teams were not going for super lightweight parts and the bikes were actually in the 38-40 area.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't need to confirm something that every racer and team has done for 20 years.

I go on road trips with some of these fucks and have to watch them scratch their heads when they're popping spokes once a day and throwing on backup wheels to finish a week of riding.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Multiple teams confirmed what we all suspect that riders go thru a set of rims every other run whether carbon or alloy.
Said it many times. What WC pros are running is truly of no consequence to the rest of us. Their requirements are "get through a run or two... maybe even a weekend". Ours differ significantly from that.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I guess this is as good a place as any to posit a wheel question - anybody know if a 27.5 wheel with a "normal" (non-3.0 balloon) tire will fit in a 26" boxxer?
I don't think Boxxers have the clearance for such shenanigans.

cozzy

Chimp
Aug 3, 2019
Imo Scott got it right with their new Gambler. compatible with 2 wheelsizes, adjustable geometry, and adjustable progression, at the weight of an enduro bike?
Whats not to like besides the price?
Pressfit bb. Urgh. I didnt know this till I saw a video recently of a rampage bike being built up. No thanks although they look bloody superb.
DH bikes are so cheap, it makes more sense to me to buy 650b rather than save a few hundred quid on an older 26" bike.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Pressfit bb. Urgh. I didnt know this till I saw a video
Is it still 41mm?
If so I don't understand the "problem", I've lost count of the number of bikes I've owned with 41mm pressfit BB shells now (various brands, carbon, alloy, DH, slowduro, you name it) and haven't had a single creak or problem with any of them - including the previous gambler. I've even moved the same (plastic bearing cup) BB to different frames and it's still been fine.

I've deliberately only used Shimano BBs and twin-pinchbolt cranks (either Shimano or FSA) on all of them.
I suspect people often blame the PF standard when the real problem is their crank/BB choice.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I haven't had any use problems with the pressfit bikes I've had either but 'your choice' in cranks should only include "stuff that someone designed for this and should therefore work"

My biggest gripe with the pressfit stuff is that it's not reusable in some cases. Even with the right tapper, those things can get mangled getting them out.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
You guys are on the money: 24mm spindle and pressfit is a no brainer!

30mm and whatever the new Dub stuff is doesn't make sense, the bearings in pressfit applications will just be too small...

I would rather see/hear people bitching about the poor bearing life of the rear triangle than ranting about pressfit.