Quantcast

Old vs new downhill bikes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
While I agree with @Udi that size does matter, I wonder what the real cost between the two would be ($1000? $1500?) for pretty similar geometry and technology. And while you're certain to be marginally faster on bigger wheels, is that worth it to you?

For tires, what treads are you interested in? Almost everything is a DHF copy, so why not go with the real thing for half the cost?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bikeparks are more enjoyable and less painful with 27.5" (vs. 26"), with no real downsides.
Even just the bigger wheel on the front is nice. I wouldn't bother with 26 if buying a fresh DH bike in 2019.
the only reason to consider 26" is cost. the bottom dropped out on the used 26" DH bike market, and they can be be had dirt cheap. i just perused the PB classifieds, you can find a decent, non ancient DH bike for under a grand.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
the only reason to consider 26" is cost. the bottom dropped out on the used 26" DH bike market, and they can be be had dirt cheap. i just perused the PB classifieds, you can find a decent, non ancient DH bike for under a grand.
Bikeparks still have a decent choice of 26'' tires, tubes and shit if you need to replace something fast? I know big ones in EU will but I've have not been in smaller places in 2 years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bikeparks still have a decent choice of 26'' tires, tubes and shit if you need to replace something fast? I know big ones in EU will but I've have not been in smaller places in 2 years.
yea, there's still plenty of good 26" tires (and even rims) out there, but not really any new models coming out.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah I'm thinking about new dh bike and I'm kinda torn between keeping my legend for 1 more season or buying something now but if I keep the legend for 1 more season I will be able to afford a new enduro bike since I really like riding bikes in strange places where bikeparks are not really available (so far Madeira, Bali and a few less known spots)

Also I need to find some old boxxer damper (i sold mine) not to sell my avy damper.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Quick look at PB.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Quick look at PB.....
also this

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I don't mind 26" wheels, there are good rims (DT EX471, FR560 and 570) and good enough tires (Magic Mary and the classics from Maxxis) available online. Surely 27.5 opens some more options but I am not chasing the clock... The roll over and filtering from bigger wheels would be nice to have in the front of the bike tho, which is possible with just a new wheel on a 26" 40 !

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Seems like the DH resale market is crazy soft right now. There are Current 2019 Wilson 29 available under 3k, carbon wilsons for 2k? Snowshoe has 17 or 18 Specialized demos for around 2k?
For those prices I would never buy a 5 year old 26 to save a grand?
The way I would justify the extra cost is the difference between what I am paying for it and what I could turn around and sell it for. and if I could sell it.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
personally i'd be highly unlikely to buy a demo bike from a bike park. those things are generally clapped out midway through the season.
I hear you on that, But there were probably 30 of them the ones on display looked new? I would have thought the same as you guys, couldn't believe how clean they were.
I guess if you're serious enough to drive that far into the middle of nowhere to ride, you probably have your own bike?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hear you on that, But there were probably 30 of them the ones on display looked new? I would have thought the same as you guys, couldn't believe how clean they were.
I guess if you're serious enough to drive that far into the middle of nowhere to ride, you probably have your own bike?
that's definitely a fair point, but it's still a gamble unless you see it in person (and know exactly what to look for).

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
They're available for cheap cause The Industry™ is discontinuing EVERYTHING. 2019 is so last years old technology that replacement parts are not even available for purchase. 2020? Oh yeah!

Proably cause the assholes are forcing 27.5 out and forcing 29'ers on us all.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
They're available for cheap cause The Industry™ is discontinuing EVERYTHING. 2019 is so last years old technology that replacement parts are not even available for purchase. 2020? Oh yeah!

Proably cause the assholes are forcing 27.5 out and forcing 29'ers on us all.
Imo Scott got it right with their new Gambler. compatible with 2 wheelsizes, adjustable geometry, and adjustable progression, at the weight of an enduro bike?
Whats not to like besides the price?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Imo Scott got it right with their new Gambler. compatible with 2 wheelsizes, adjustable geometry, and adjustable progression, at the weight of an enduro bike?
Whats not to like besides the price?
they do offer it in alloy, so the price aspect isn't nearly that big of a deal.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Keep in mind we have Brendan, Vink and Vinny T to keep us honest on the durability front. How light was your V10 frame? The alu Gambler frame is 3.52 btw

V10 was exactly what I was thinking of. Remember the broken downtubes under the shock? Doesn't mean steve peat or greg minnaar were advertising it or not racing on them.

The bike looks like a winner. But you know as well as I do that when you buy tires you still look at weights. There's a reason for that.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Got to see Brendan’s bike at snowshoe and talk to one of the Scott mechanics. It apparently weighs 31 pounds with DH rubber which I believe having picked it up. That is nuts. Other interesting bits were the race only Asegai tires which were insanely soft and slow rebound. I didn’t know the WC teams get special rubber but apparently they do. Multiple teams confirmed what we all suspect that riders go thru a set of rims every other run whether carbon or alloy.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's because they're on bikes that weigh 31 fkn pounds! That's what my trailbike weighs. Those aren't what most people would consider dh wheels. They're saving weight somewhere with pinner bits.
Yeah, that's nuts. My hardtail is barely sub-30.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
That's because they're on bikes that weigh 31 fkn pounds! That's what my trailbike weighs. Those aren't what most people would consider dh wheels. They're saving weight somewhere with pinner bits.
Saw a lot of ex471s on bikes which must be essentially disposable riding at that pace over those rocks. With crabon its harder to say what the rims really are but surely you're right. That said, light rims don't get your DH bike to 31 pounds by themselves.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I was stoked when I changed wheels and got my DHR to sub 40#.

lightest DH bike I've ridden was a Session all decked out. maybe 31# or so. Crazy light.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Saw a lot of ex471s on bikes which must be essentially disposable riding at that pace over those rocks. With crabon its harder to say what the rims really are but surely you're right. That said, light rims don't get your DH bike to 31 pounds by themselves.
Pinner ass little spokes do though. There's a lot of weight to cut in steel. Hence the preponderance of titanium bolts too. But when you're starting with a dual crown fork, dh casing tires (plus inserts in some cases), getting to 31lbs can only happen when you start compromising strength somewhere. Triple butted spokes, aluminum nipples......that doesn't make for durable wheels, no matter what rim they're attached to

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
At least Commencal is not using inserts per Nicco at their pits (who was very cool and made me want to buy one). I agree they are widely used tho.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Pinner ass little spokes do though. There's a lot of weight to cut in steel. Hence the preponderance of titanium bolts too. But when you're starting with a dual crown fork, dh casing tires (plus inserts in some cases), getting to 31lbs can only happen when you start compromising strength somewhere. Triple butted spokes, aluminum nipples......that doesn't make for durable wheels, no matter what rim they're attached to
Don’t forget carbon cranks that break a lot. Brendogg had carbon bars and seatpost too. I bet they get swapped after each yard sale wreck too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe two weekends out of the cranks. Three if you're aaron gwinn.

But that's exactly it: What applies to race teams milking every last bit of performance gains out of a 10 run weekend, who can replace parts at will, doesn't have jack shit to do with us at the buyer level who ride parts for years.

I was just answering a question someone asked. And at that weight, out of that material, durability would be concern of mine. Based in zero empirical data at this point but it's just something to think about. I've already cracked carbon frames about that weight in non-dh riding.

Doesn't matter who's riding it for a paycheck, they could break 12 in a row and you'd never hear about it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The bike looks like a winner. But you know as well as I do that when you buy tires you still look at weights. There's a reason for that.
My minimum is 1150 grams or more for mountain biking. If I downhilled more I'm thinking minimum of 1300 grams these days, maybe closer to 1400.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I recently took apart my large V10.5. Compared to my new 27.5 and 29 enduro bikes the wheels felt too small and the reach too short. I'll use the parts on a new Gambler 27.5 build but the frame was gonna collect dust in the attic. I'll sell it really cheap with its Vivid Air. Frame looks mint.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I thought I could get away with the "normal" Minion/HR combo, 2.5WT/2.3, at ~950/850g, somehow I thought I'd gotten away with it before at the park. Sharp rocks sliced the HR like butter and punctured the front casing 3x. Inserts wouldn't do a damn thing, the riding there definitely requires some beefy DH casings.