Quantcast

Older Z.1 with dual disc mounts -- IS or no?

• Last couple of days to enter the Ridemonkey Secret Santa!

Come exchange gifts with other monkeys! From beer, to light-up bike nuts, to custom machined holiday decorations, there's something for everyone. To participate, make sure you send your email by Moday, December 2nd.
    Click here for details and to learn how to participate.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hey,

If I recall correctly, the older Marzocchi Z.1s with the dual disc mounts were not IS but a Formula-specific mount. Right? Or no?

If so, is there an adapter to run an IS disc up front?

Thanks.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Colin said:
Hey,

If I recall correctly, the older Marzocchi Z.1s with the dual disc mounts were not IS but a Formula-specific mount. Right? Or no?
Yup...the tabs do not have IS spacing. They're something like 48mm if I recall correctly. Hayes does make an adapter (part #98-14590) but I imagine it might be hard to track down at this point. Plus I think with that adapter you have to use the old school calipers designed for the old Manitou post mount spacing of 68mm.

Alternatively I seem to remember Hope making a C2 caliper that mounted on those tabs directly but I can't remember what number it is.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Yup...the tabs do not have IS spacing. They're something like 48mm if I recall correctly. Hayes does make an adapter (part #98-14590) but I imagine it might be hard to track down at this point. Plus I think with that adapter you have to use the old school calipers designed for the old Manitou post mount spacing of 68mm.

Alternatively I seem to remember Hope making a C2 caliper that mounted on those tabs directly but I can't remember what number it is.
Yep. I had/have one of these forks. It's a '97 model (possibly late '96). The mounts were meant for old Formula brakes and Hope did make a C2 caliper half that worked - I had one of those too; sold when I unloaded my collection of Hope stuff... :disgust1: . I don't recall Formula offering a hub with disc mounts on both sides. The fork had mounts on both sides because for a time, Formula offered calipers for either side if you wanted to run your levers moto-style. The idea didn't catch on...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Hayes had adapters for those. but would put your caliper out to a 8" only. i had a local machinist make me one aswell.

goodluck with that...