Quantcast

Oldschool MTBR chat

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Who was there back in the day? I spent many, many hours chatting there, 1999-2001ish.

I was, as MikeD. Partsy and VB were around. Grizza still posts here as Thylacine if I point something out to him.

Who else? Under what name?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Chat? You mean the bulletin board or did they have a live chat?

I used to post there around the same time (1999-2001ish) under this same username. Might have posted a bit as an old handle, noyoki.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Believe or not, I hated chat and avoided online culture period.

As an old school computer admin, that stuff really slowed down your cpu cycles.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Never chatted, but I hung around on the forums usually once a day to check up on anything interesting. I didn't visit mtbr for around 3 or so years, only to visit one day and find something like 40+ forums. Umm, no thank you.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Paul Burchard!!!!!!!!....or something like that. I remember some of the characters...DFA who was like H8R except with a large gun collection....Alacratis from Alabama.....Blaze from Brisbane who was a vampire goth or some bloody thing. Oh the fun Partsy and me had with that.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Paul Burchard!!!!!!!!....or something like that. I remember some of the characters...DFA who was like H8R except with a large gun collection....Alacratis from Alabama.....Blaze from Brisbane who was a vampire goth or some bloody thing. Oh the fun Partsy and me had with that.
Chat touring...with Paul Bouchard (or something).

Split Saddle & 4-Banger. User 12. Konagirl. Lonewolf(e?) who I think may post here. Vert from North Carolina. Dude from Moab--nurse by trade...Poison Rider, maybe, but I think PR was actually another friend of his from Utah. Dirt Carver from Tahoe. Zman from NorCal (not the same guy as Zonic Man, though) And the incomparable Mrs. Treat, some idiot 12 year old boy who would either stir **** and/or shut the place down with cut/paste for hours.

Never posted much on the forums, myself. Just stuck with the instant gratification of java chat.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
User12 set up aukcycles.com which had a faux-mtbr chatroom for those of us who held over after mtbr killed the fun, but it doesn't seem to be working. Last I visited there was in like 2003.

I learned about Ridemonkey when Nizmeister dropped into the mtbr chatroom.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I was llkoolkeg there as here but all my old posts seem to have been deleted or archived or something. I came here after finally getting sick of all the daily e-arguments with snotty little turdburglars. Once I came here, I probably only posted there a couple more times ever.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I was llkoolkeg there as here but all my old posts seem to have been deleted or archived or something. I came here after finally getting sick of all the daily e-arguments with snotty little turdburglars. Once I came here, I probably only posted there a couple more times ever.
So what do you think of the snotty little turdburglers here? :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So you guys posted the forums, but didn't chat?

It took Ridemonkey to get me to see the value of forums beyond asking a tech question or three. I much preferred the real-time chat. But this was the first VBulletin board I ever saw, and it was a LOT more slick than the MTBR ones...and I got used to it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
And of course there was a13x, $eth and f1moto.

and M.W. and grommet
MW was a funny bastard. the banning and ensuing fallout/epic war between RM and Hcor was very entertaining.

i still have a hoodie from a13x's ill-fated clothing company, aberrant concepts. i wear it all the time.