Quantcast

OldSchool Pics (History Lesson Kiddos)

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Ok so I broke my ankle yesterday so I'm stuck at home on Vicodin and bored... I'm going to scan the raddest pics from Freestylin', GO, and BMX Action and post them up. If you have rad old school pics, post them here... a bit of a history lesson for the young bucks and good memories for us old headz.

Eddie Fiola at the first real halfpipe contest...

Ron Wilkerson, the promoter of the first halfpipe series, 2-Hip... read the caption. Ironic

Mat Hoffman's first ever pic in a magazine...

I'll be posting stuff all day...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
love it. I remember most of these pics for sure. I also remember Hoffmans letter. I think it was one or two months letter he had the centerfold in BmxPlus! and they didn't know who he was. next month in FREESTYLIN' he blew up.

Sucks that you broke your ankle. How'd it happen?

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
love it. I remember most of these pics for sure. I also remember Hoffmans letter. I think it was one or two months letter he had the centerfold in BmxPlus! and they didn't know who he was. next month in FREESTYLIN' he blew up.

Sucks that you broke your ankle. How'd it happen?
Tailwhip... missed my back pedal. Foot got driven straight into the concrete, full on ankle roll. Luckily it's just a bone chip the size of a nickel... nothing too serious. Should be back on the bike just rollin around by next week as long as my vagina doesn't have sand in it.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
For me it started in about 1979 with a Thundertrail, I broke it in a couple months so I was back to the hand me down stingray till I was about 13 or 14 and I wanted a Redline and my dad bought me a freakin 10 speed. I didn't buy a bmx again till I was about 2007. . .

Attachments

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Cool idea for a thread. In a mid- to late-80's issue of BMXA there was a local spot check on "Jones track" with a pic of some guy doing a perfect, killer table - I used to study that picture for hours on end. Unfortunately, I haven't found that issue in my archives... If you happen come across it, please post that one up!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Joel - first off - sorry to hear about the broken ankle.

2nd - Great thread. As much as I wish I was 22 years old right now and could ride modern day DJ trails - I wouldn't give up being a young bmx rider in the 80's. Looking back, it was such a fresh yet inocent sport. I have some old pics that I've posted up here but I'll try to find some new ones.

Funny that you mentioned BMXA, Freestylin' and GO. I think the Wizard pubs were a big part of how I got so into riding. I still remember going to the newstand with my family being a bored 9 year old and this issue of Bicycle Motocross Action popped out at me: http://oldschoolmags.com/contents/BMXA8004.jpg Mag wheels, huge air, stylish euro table while looking down, a concrete park - it blew me away. Next thing I know, I'm transforming my ****ty Huffy into a moto machine. There was no interweb with tons of vids, no Fuel TV, no sick shops with all the latest gear. So getting that monthly issue of BMXA was the only way to get the info.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
hmm i went through all my old mags along time ago...though they were all from the early 90's not the 80's i guess i should have kept a few eh?

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
this thread rules. i grew up in the 90's bmx era and, like said above, was awesome with magazines and mailorder, no internet. every month was a new treat. nowhere near the 80s you speak of, but close.

that josh white pic is ridiculous, though theres hills and dirt in the background i have to assume that lookback was in a pipe. but i doubt anyone these days would dare try something like that, especially stretched like that, on anything.

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
though i grew up on and still do ride strictly dirt, i remember this fella as the first pro i met, and saw him a few times in my first summer of bmx. grew up in my mom's hometown/ our cabin town.

used to go to the highschool parking lot in the summer and watch him practice.

also makes me chuckle how long the rear end on his bike is + the set back seatpost. constant innovation ftw

Last edited: