Quantcast

Olympia WA, Capitol forest ride 3-16-2006

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Met Glen and Craig at the Chevron and we headed up the road to Cap Forest

We get to the spot to find the snow a little deeper and the air a little colder than I suspected. I start to get some dirty looks as we hurry to get ready to ride

We go slip sliding down the trail trying not to fall over the edge as snow is more difficult than one would think to stay upright on a bike. I'm last because I have been fooling with my camera and finally get up to speed when my battery comes disconnected from my light. So going as fast as I am able in the snow all of a sudden my view looks very similar to this

I know I don't want to fall right so I lean left and crash into the side. I fumble my gloves off and grope around blindly for my battery cable in the pitch black. Get it hooked back up and grab a picture while I am stopped.

I get back on and ride a little further and the snow turns to a stream that follows the trail. It doesn't really matter now anyway as I am completely soaked and am starting to be more concerened about recent cougar sightings and the fact I still haven't caught up with the guys.

Finally catch up with them to find that Craigs crank bolt came out, so he now has one pedal. They attempt to find a quarter sized black bolt on the trail.

I know it's pretty much useless so I take some picturees

We make it back to the truck and there is none of the usual post trip banter as the bikes are loaded back in the truck. I'm pretty sure the only thing that is keeping me alive is the fact that they don't have keys to my house and the hot tub.

Check out Craigs one pedal wonder. This photo actually makes him look fairly dry....

So we get back to the house at about 11:30 and we find a note for Craig along with some cookies and a tasty pasta meal prepared by the sweet wifey(Did I mention she is the awesomenest female on the planet?????)

you see, Sara is no stranger to mud rides. Lil PUhfaaafo from the back.....

The mood got noticeably better and then we got in the tub and life was good again

Glen does get the hardcore award though as he had to get up at 6 for an 11 hour workday today and he left about 1:30am. I woke up around 6 this morning, thought about him and then went back to bed ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
awesome!

how'd you get that the pic w/ the bike light shining right at the camera, but still get a good exposure of the rider in the background?

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
narlus said:
awesome!

how'd you get that the pic w/ the bike light shining right at the camera, but still get a good exposure of the rider in the background?
longish exposure. The light on the rider is coming from a bike just behind him so they are both exposing at the same time.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
bikingisbetter said:
thats a pretty epic sounding ride, haha at least in the snow and middle of the night. how long was the actuall ride?
a little over an hour. The lights don't last too much longer than that :)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
great job BAH.. i love rides like that... things dont go exactly right, but you still wind up having a great time !!!:thumb: