Olympic BMX...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Aug 19 9:00pm ET Men's Cycling BMX - Preliminary
Aug 19 9:45pm ET Women's Cycling BMX - Preliminary
Aug 19 11:40pm ET Men's Cycling BMX - Quarter-finals

I think the finals are the 21st or 22nd but not entirely sure.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
www.nbcolympics.com

This site lists all of the television schedules for all sports. It also has a link so you can watch online.

Aug 9 Mens Road Race 9A-9:30A, 11:30A-12, 1:30P-2:30P NBC

Aug 10 Womens Road Race 12P-5P NBC

Aug 19 Mens BMX (live) 7P-8P, 11:30P-1A NBC

Aug 20 M&W BMX 1A-4A, 7P-9P NBC

Aug 22 Womens MTB 4A-9:30A MSNBC

Aug 23 Mens MTB 12:30A-5A, 11P-4A NBC

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
So when will we be officially riding BSX bikes instead of BMX bikes?

Pretty psyched on this whole thing, to bad they couldn't show the event on Prime Time, but I guess we can't complain the first year. Heck of a lot more exciting to watch then a lot of the other events I've seen.

Last edited:

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Good race, I thought Day might have had Stromberg in the second turn. Oh well, there's 2012! Congrats Team USA, you made us proud!

Wish Graves wouldn't have gone down.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, I wish there was more coverage, but it was still cool. I can't believe Mikey and Donnie made it through that mess on two wheels. Yeah, I thought Mikey had him swooped on the 2nd, too. But, that's a big ass jump before that berm, he was probably just trying to make it through clean.

And Bob Costas is an idiot.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Well, if it wasnt for the A**hole of the Welsh girl, my country's girl, Gabriela Diaz could have got the bronze medal. Boy, that UK B**ch sucked big time!!! And she was supposed to be the favorite one???

Anyway, I saw the whole event, since T&C Sports took a live coverage, and it was hillariuos. They're a local sports channel here in Argentina, and the sent JUST ONE JOURNALYST to China, he does his best at Rugby, and there he was, commenting on Tae-Kwon Do, BMX, Athletism... I've found a new mean for the word "overwhelmed"... The good news is the lousy soccer-oriented channel discovered BMX!

A few more thoughts:

- The slow motion camera was AWESOME (specially on the crashes).
- Sick circuit, specially the mens one.
- The French guy did nothing but throw down other riders (Cristian Becerino at semis, and Graves at finals, if I don't recall badly)

Last edited:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Fortunately here in Seattle we can get the CBC - Canadian channel and they do a much better job of covering the Olympics. They showed a lot of the BMX action. NBC sucks....Bob Costas sucks!

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
Here is a place to vent some of that frustration

feedback@nbcolympics.com

I did :-/
Here's what I sent:

I was very disappointed with the coverage of the Men and Women's BMX final. I guess you gave it about 6 mins of prime and then the guy commentating didn't have a clue. The action we saw was amazing and BMX is one of the most exciting sports to watch if covered properly. By the way, there were 3 medals won by USA riders which I had better let you know is pretty awesome! ENOUGH endless Beach Volley Ball and High-board diving...give us the real sport.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I don't know what more you guys expected from the NBC coverage here on the west coast it was during primetime coverage.. having been a racer since 1984 it was everything I would have hoped for and more. Here anyway ..They had the moto's on late night, then rain f-d up the semi's then the mains were on before Men's Beach Volleyball which should have meant as big an audience as possible for the day. Now it would have been good to have a better subject expert like Craig Reynolds but to as much as I like Craig he probably isn't to date with the foreign riders anymore than Kenan.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Reynolds Wrap as of Reynolds bikes. Dude was out of Chi, I thought. He always raced up here in Wisconsin. He was super smooth, and a good guy. I would imagine the dude probably keeps up with stuff and could announce just fine.

BTW, this is what I wrote to NBC...

So here we are on the cusp of history, bringing BMX into the Olympics.

As I recall when the alternative sport of Snowboarding came in they received tons of build up (all the drama that is thrown in, background of the sport, athletes, etc, etc). BMX is brought in to "appeal better to the youth" and the first time it is broad-casted is from 12-2AM. The next day it is scheduled there is nothing, and the finals are wrapped up in the absolute minimum time.

According to your website BMX should have been on Tuesday in Prime time, and was actually the only thing listed for Wednesday. Funny, because yesterday there wasn't a word about BMX, just gymnastic gala. So things got rained out, great, maybe show a bit more tonight, but again, no such luck. Instead we get 6 minutes of just the finals, no build up, no drama, just straight racing. All other sports show the athletes walking around, commentary about their background, blah blah blah, but not on this new addition to the Olympics.

I guess I had high hopes of how this sport would be portrayed. NBC did nothing but destroy any confidence that I had in them to get the job done. Instead of making its debut appropriate, BMX is treated like a sideshow that does not deserve the attention that sports like swimming and volleyball apparently do. The main announcers tells us he knows nothing about the sport, why not? The actual announcers for the competition are not ex-bmx competitors like what are used in other sports. Instead of intelligent commentary educated viewers get to hear often incorrect attempts at using appropriate terminology. Highly disappointing.

BMX is a fast paced competition. High risk and exciting action lend itself to TV viewing. Its really to bad that NBC couldn't do it justice.