Quantcast

Olympic border cross looks bad a$$

J

JRB

amydalayna said:
did anyone else heard Nate Holland's cry baby remarks when he DQ'd from the event? He was a bit out of control, crashed on his landing, and took someone else down. And then he said he was protesting to the judges.
there's been alot of heat on here lately about Bode, but when Bode's out he takes it.
Holland totally screwed up and he protested? That's silly.
I actually saw that. I was thinking I was stupid and I was missing something. I guess my initial thought that he was a whiny bitch was right.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
amydalayna said:
did anyone else heard Nate Holland's cry baby remarks when he DQ'd from the event? He was a bit out of control, crashed on his landing, and took someone else down. And then he said he was protesting to the judges.
I heard his remarks but didn't take them in the light that you did.

As he said, it's similar to the coach throwing the red challange flag in football. If there's a question, and the event is important, why not ask to have everything reviewed? In the heat of the moment a lot can happen, and the review just makes sure everything was kosher.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
I heard his remarks but didn't take them in the light that you did.

As he said, it's similar to the coach throwing the red challange flag in football. If there's a question, and the event is important, why not ask to have everything reviewed? In the heat of the moment a lot can happen, and the review just makes sure everything was kosher.
Stop interjecting logic. He was being a whiney bitch.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
Did I miss part of the interview?

edit: that may have sounded sarcastic. It's not. I'm seriously asking if I missed part of the interview because I may be arguing when I haven't heard the whole story :D

I heard a very reasonable guy saying he went down in an important event and lodged a very standard request with the judges that the situation be reviewed.

I didn't hear any whining, just a statement that he was disappointed that it happened, and that he was rooting for his teammate to win it.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Did I miss part of the interview?

edit: that may have sounded sarcastic. It's not. I'm seriously asking if I missed part of the interview because I may be arguing when I haven't heard the whole story :D

I heard a very reasonable guy saying he went down in an important event and lodged a very standard request with the judges that the situation be reviewed.

I didn't hear any whining, just a statement that he was disappointed that it happened, and that he was rooting for his teammate to win it.

And he seemed very congratulatory when it was all done. I see your interpretation, and have amended mine. I was thinking of how I would have handled it. :D

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
loco said:
i agree. he was just being a cry baby.
if Bode did something similar, everyone here would be all over him.

Holland had absolutely no reason to protest. No one took him down, he took himself down. You could tell when he was still in the air that he wasn't in control.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
amydalayna said:
No one took him down, he took himself down. You could tell when he was still in the air that he wasn't in control.
That makes the whole thing even easier, then, since it was a clear-cut case. The review took all of 30 seconds, he didn't make a big deal out of it, and the whole situation was resolved cleanly.

If he had started whining on camera about the situation, I'd agree that he was just needlessly complaining. It was the reporter that asked about it, though, and his statement was essentially, "Hey, it was an important event, and I wanted to make sure everything went down the way it should."

Seems reasonable. I wouldn't have handled it that way, myself - at least, I don't think I would have (having never been in the Olympics I guess I shouldn't be so definitive ;)), but I don't see why he should be condemned for it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
amydalayna said:
there's been alot of heat on here lately about Bode, but when Bode's out he takes it.
Holland totally screwed up and he protested? That's silly.
He took out Jasey Jay Anderson, the defeding world cup champ, as well as the expected gold medal winner. JJ got DQd as well, as his board went outside the gate.

When the CBC interviews JJ said, "that's ok, it's BX - **** happens". Guys shoudl learn to deal, **** does indeed happen in BX.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
SkaredShtles said:
Those announcers are really something.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to mute my TV during the Olympics from now on......... :D
and how many times did we need to hear about how extreme the event is?
"and remember folks, contact IS allowed in this sport."

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Transcend said:
He took out Jasey Jay Anderson, the defeding world cup champ, as well as the expected gold medal winner. JJ got DQd as well, as his board went outside the gate.

When the CBC interviews JJ said, "that's ok, it's BX - **** happens". Guys shoudl learn to deal, **** does indeed happen in BX.
I saw the interview and didn't get the feeling that the guys was bitching about it. Almost sounded like it was standard operating procedure.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I was amazed by the # of fruit booters on alpine boards.. It showed in that finish that the alpine board is faster, but the freerider had the ability to hit the jumps with more control and cut corners faster (abale to change direction quicker). The long alpine boards arent as responsive.

Of the SBX guys here what boards do you ride??

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
oly said:
I was amazed by the # of fruit booters on alpine boards.. It showed in that finish that the alpine board is faster, but the freerider had the ability to hit the jumps with more control and cut corners faster (abale to change direction quicker). The long alpine boards arent as responsive.

It depends on what the course is like. Sidecut and board length/style can make a huge difference.

I prefer my Palmer Carbon Circles 158 with Technine bindings for most events. Its VERY long for my height, but it lets it run and rail corners. It is almost as stiff as an alpine board, but supple enough to make up for my frequerntly botched landings.

On this course, i was surprised that anyone was on a softboot setup.

"and remember folks, contact IS allowed in this sport."
the funny thing is, contact really isn't allowed. You can protect your own lane and personal space, but you can't really "contact" anyone else beyond bumping into them or putting your hand out (your personal space is as far as you can reach or your board length).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
oly said:

Fruit boots rail.

strap ons jump

Depends on the course. That one is so long, I personally would go fruity.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
kidwoo said:
Fruit boots rail.

strap ons jump

Depends on the course. That one is so long, I personally would go fruity.
I wish they would have Ski Blade cross. That would rock.

I didnt know anyone still made alpine boards...... :oink:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Transcend said:
I woudl watch that for the comedy factor alone. Crashes galore, it woudl be like demolition derby on snow.
just wait those things will make a comeback.... when they do, i will dust off the warranty pile and make a killing....

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Qualified 2nd out of about 80 at the BorderX race today. (Top 48 compete in 8 six person rounds, top 3 in each round advance)

Won my first round.

Got destroyed coming out of the 2nd to last turn in the course when I was in 2nd. Another rider went for the pass, we got tangled, my edge caught, now I can't sit down comfortably.

Twas fun.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I Are Baboon said:
So I'm seeing at nbcolympics.com right now that one of our American chickies pulled a Leon Lett....
watching it right now...it looks like she grabs her board on almost every jump. finals to come up pretty soon...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ok, that was way more movement than she had shown on any of the other jumps in any of her run. my conclusion: showboating bit her in the ass.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the Inbred said:
ok, that was way more movement than she had shown on any of the other jumps in any of her run. my conclusion: showboating bit her in the ass.
She caught an edge, it's BX, that's ilfe. It probably would have happenned whether she through down a grab or not.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
What the hell? Getting silver is not acceptable for an American. I mean gosh, if she would've gotten gold, our medal count (for golds that is, what really counts) would be one up on everybody else....

Come on, she fell, sh1t happens, much the same as in bike racing. And she still seemed pretty happy with medalling.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
anyone see the post race video clips where they showed her on that jump, side by side, the semi final and the final ? In the semi final she's straight on, direct, going for the finish, and in the final"compensating for wind" or what ever with that jump, yeah, right. I think that race will be shown to young atheletes the world over for what NOT to do, don't get cocky.

Any one know why the men wear hard boots, the women soft?

geargrrl

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Well yeah she looked disappointed (and I'm sure we all would be in that situation) but she seemed happier or at least approach it with a better attitude than Bob Costas and everybody else from the nbc crew who kept attacking her over it. :p

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
geargrrl said:

geargrrl
about half the men were in soft boots as well, I think it's probably just preference as each has its own riding characteristics. I'd imagine you could compare it to DH racing and people riding clipless or with flats (but on a lot larger scale since there's more factors affected by the hard/soft boot choice)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
COmtbiker12 said:
What the hell? Getting silver is not acceptable for an American. I mean gosh, if she would've gotten gold, our medal count (for golds that is, what really counts) would be one up on everybody else....

Come on, she fell, sh1t happens, much the same as in bike racing. And she still seemed pretty happy with medalling.
Her fall was a direct result of her pulling a celebratory trick on the last jump. It was her choice to do it and she will now live with a silver.

It's no different than if she were a Swede. Being American has nothing to do with this, IMO.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
geargrrl said:
anyone see the post race video clips where they showed her on that jump, side by side, the semi final and the final ? In the semi final she's straight on, direct, going for the finish, and in the final"compensating for wind" or what ever with that jump, yeah, right. I think that race will be shown to young atheletes the world over for what NOT to do, don't get cocky.

geargrrl
The women can get away with soft boots as they usually ride less aggressively then the men. Canadian chick #2 however showed what can happen when she flew off the top of that berm..she lost her edge completely.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
SkaredShtles said:
Her fall was a direct result of her pulling a celebratory trick on the last jump. It was her choice to do it and she will now live with a silver..
2nd to last jump... I think if it were the last jump and she would have fallen... she would have skidded across the line first on her back... :wonky2:

SkaredShtles said:
It's no different than if she were a Swede. Being American has nothing to do with this, IMO.
I agree it is a mistake made many times by PEOPLE everywhere!!! doesn't matter where she is from... it just sucked that she was really out in front having a great run!!! Oh well!!! S#!t happens!!!

I am glad for her that she still crossed the line in time for the silver!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Jeremy R said:
How is that possible?
You mean that you never watched Shaun Palmer race Boardercross?
That's it, I am driving up there and pulling you out of a lab, and forcing you to go on a ride. :)

I'd never heard of it before until last weekend when I went to Snowshoe and they had a course set up. I had no idea what it was, but Dartman and The Captian quickly clued me in!

So when is it on? is there a schedual of the olympics TV coverage somewhere?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
brungeman said:
2nd to last jump... I think if it were the last jump and she would have fallen... she would have skidded across the line first on her back... :wonky2:
Her coach should've told her if she was going to showboat, make sure to do it on the *last* jump. :D

And let's not forget - she's a 20 year old snowboarder. Showboating is probably *very* important in her peer group. This'll probably be a good lesson. ;)