Quantcast

Olympics events...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Ok so what would event you like to see gone and what should be a event but isn't. Someone please explain to me how trampoline is an event and baseball is out :crazy:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
only the us, japan, and cuba actually care about baseball. why keep a sport not played by a majority of the world?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
uh it's a world wide recognized professional sport...trampoline is something kids do in the backyard. That being said I don't like watching Baseball but I think they're getting screwed...D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Synchronized swimming. Are you serious?

I like baseball. But that's because I'm an American.

I think they should do away with "pros" in sports, too. But that's just me.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Honestly I like most of the events. At what other time in your life do you get to watch Handball played? I think it's really fun to see different and odd sports.

I think it's great that there is such diversity in the games and the people.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Can you belive how little coverage BMX got?

Also, can you believe that Anne Caroline Chausaun (sp?) won!!!
I didnt know she still rode!!

Jared Graves went down pretty hard. Oh well. We still got bronze and silver.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Honestly I like most of the events. At what other time in your life do you get to watch Handball played? I think it's really fun to see different and odd sports.

I agree I like watching some of the odd sports but it seems like it's getting to the point where there is no structure and just about anything can be an event...D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

ESPN 8, "the Ocho"!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I agree I like watching some of the odd sports but it seems like it's getting to the point where there is no structure and just about anything can be an event...D
like baseball.

you can argue with me all you want about this, but baseball is not a sport i consider to be at the pinnacle of athleticism, and isn't the olympics about showcasing amazing athletic achievements?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
International rules of speed walking.

I'm not even kidding :rofl:
So that's what it's called.

I just can't take that event seriously.

Where's the danger, challenge, or drama ?

I guess the whole challenge is to not run.

Maybe I'm wrong, but they look like they're trotting off to the bathroom and trying to hold it in.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
like baseball.

you can argue with me all you want about this, but baseball is not a sport i consider to be at the pinnacle of athleticism, and isn't the olympics about showcasing amazing athletic achievements?
I'm not arguing..doesn't matter what you consider a sport. I'm talking about the world at large...Baseball is one of the top 5 most recognized sports on the earth...plain and simple...D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
So that's what it's called.

I just can't take that event seriously.

I guess the whole challenge is to not run.

Maybe I'm wrong, but they look like they're trotting off to the bathroom and trying to hold it in.

There is some nice booty swayin' going on though.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
only the us, japan, and cuba actually care about baseball. why keep a sport not played by a majority of the world?
hmm..there are leagues in China, Taiwan, Japan, US, Canada, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Isreal, Korea, Italy, and all over the UK...I mean really Australia won a Silver at the last Olympics!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Synchronized swimming. Are you serious?

I like baseball. But that's because I'm an American.

I think they should do away with "pros" in sports, too. But that's just me.
What about kids raised in government funded sport school? They are basically pros. Pretty much anyone helped by a national sports program is a pro. But if you ban that you basically prevent anyone who is not independantly wealthy from participation in Olympic level sports.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What about not getting your ass beat every time you train for said event? It's impossible to NOT look ghey.

My daughter came in while I was flipping past it. She looked at me dead in the face and said "Why don't they just run?"

I had no answer that would make sense to a 7 year old.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Equestrian events shouldn't be in a sporting event that is supposed to showcase the athletic abilities of the human body. There is no argument for a judged event's validity in the Olympics when half of the sport involves an animal with the ability to make choices.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
like baseball.

The summer olympics are supposed to be about "sports" that are derived from military disciplines. Javelin, Marathon, hammer throw, sprints etc.

Higher, Faster, Stronger.

Synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are none of the above. All judged events should be tossed from the games anyways.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Equestrian events shouldn't be in a sporting event that is supposed to showcase the athletic abilities of the human body. There is no argument for a judged event's validity in the Olympics when half of the sport involves an animal with the ability to make choices.
While I agree entirely (much to the chagrin of an ex roomate's chick who actually left him after i pissed her off enough about it), s mentioned the olympics were originally created to showcase military skills and have soldiers willingly train to become the best, so horseback riding was a key skill. Of course, maybe they should have barrel riding or something and not some lame show jumping event. (seriously, how does the scoring even work??)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The summer olympics are supposed to be about "sports" that are derived from military disciplines. Javelin, Marathon, hammer throw, sprints etc.

Higher, Faster, Stronger.

Synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are none of the above. All judged events should be tossed from the games anyways.
boxing, wrestling, judo, and taekwondo?

I think boxing and wrestling need to get tossed for the overwhelmingly obvious incompetence / corruption in their judging. Some of the boxing was truly amazing in that there seemed to be no effort to even mask what was going on.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
boxing, wrestling, judo, and taekwondo?

I think boxing and wrestling need to get tossed for the overwhelmingly obvious incompetence / corruption in their judging. Some of the boxing was truly amazing in that there seemed to be no effort to even mask what was going on.
I agree, the judging in these events is terrible. They do fit with the original idea of the games, but back then he who did not get the crap kicked out of him won. It was pretty efficient.

Judging in those events is so subjective it is hilarious. I watched one taekwando match and it was unreal how some solid hits didn't count, while some glancing blows did.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
Agreed...would make for better competition...D
so you're pretty much saying that the games should be normal people that have normal jobs and just do these kinds of sports for fun? how would that make for better competition...the goal is to win...if you get rid of your pro's then that means you get rid of all your pro swimmers, runners, basketball players ect...you bring your best people, pro's or not

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This is my single contention with the Olympics.

I do not feel that "judged" events of any kind should be part of the Olympics. That is of course unless they create a computer program that is able to monitor the athlete in 3D and assign a score. Maybe then I would be willing to accept it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Greek boxing matches were performed seated, with the boxers' hands wrapped in studded leather thongs, and ended when one of them died, IIRC from my Greek history class.

Teh Greek boysex is probably out, too, as there's way too much room for subjective interpretation of degree of difficulty and style.