Quantcast

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I'm not bitter. I was just illustrating a point. All this dedication is gonna get him a few gold medals, 15 minutes of fame, and his name in a book that will never make it to the NY Times Best Seller List.
But he'll have gold medals. I met a lady that had one for synchronized swimming. Stupid as hell in my world, but it took lots of dedication to get it.

People think bikes are stupid. Fine. I do not. I ride mine as much as I can. I will have nearly 5 hours in by day's end and will get nothing but fun and satisfaction from it. If I could have the bonus of riding in smoggy ass Beijing, you'd bet your ass I would.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
All this dedication is gonna get him a few gold medals, 15 minutes of fame, and his name in a book that will never make it to the NY Times Best Seller List.
That's the point.
And its what makes Olympic athletes so great.
Well, Phelps is a bad example, because he is so bad ass that he is gonna get rich off this.
But most of the athletes are not gonna get paid. They know that from the get go. At best, they will earn a medal.
And they still train 8 hours a day every day from the time they are children up until their last Olympics.
They don't work that hard for so little fame or money.
Its about the glory, and its rare to see that $hit in our country today when everyone is focused on the dollar.
Even in this thread, you guys are saying "marketable skills" and all that.
They have a single focus that 100% of their time and energy goes into, and we get to watch it every four years.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm not bitter. I was just illustrating a point. All this dedication is gonna get him a few gold medals, 15 minutes of fame, and his name in a book that will never make it to the NY Times Best Seller List.
That, and he and his family, and probably his future family, are financially set for life due to endorsements. If he posessed the natural ability to achieve that, and decided to smoke weed and rob liquor stores and beat up his white trash girlfriend instead, would that make him cool in your eyes?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
That, and he and his family, and probably his future family, are financially set for life due to endorsements. If he posessed the natural ability to achieve that, and decided to smoke weed and rob liquor stores and beat up his white trash girlfriend instead, would that make him cool in your eyes?
...he is from baltimore.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That's the point.
Well, Phelps is a bad example, because he is so bad ass that he is gonna get rich off this.
But most of the athletes are not gonna get paid. They know that from the get go. At best, they will earn a medal.
And they still train 8 hours a day every day from the time they are children up until their last Olympics.
Its about the glory, and its rare to see that $hit in our country today when everyone is focused on the dollar.
They have a single focus that 100% of their time and energy goes into, and we get to watch it every four years.
But all that to me get lost when NBC start covering the olympics. It becomes more about marketing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's the point.
The thing about swimming these days... the suits they use are the equivalent of steroids. While they don't physically alter a person's body chemistry or makeup, the surfaces are engineered to have the water move over it faster. It produces the same result as rubbing your body down with oil (which makes water glide over you faster) - which just happens to be BANNED in swimming.

Also, I read (from more than a single source) that the latest generation of suits also helps your abdominal muscles work in a more efficient manner (something about putting pressure on them in certain ways so you get more push from your core muscles - something that is CRUCIAL in swimming). Again, this allows a swimmer to get an advantage over the competition.

Bottom line, a lot of swimmers have maxed out their physical capabilities and have to resort to using high tech swim suits to gain an advantage. Take away the fancy swimsuit and Phelps would be nothing more than a slightly above average swimmer instead of a world record holder.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Bottom line, a lot of swimmers have maxed out their physical capabilities and have to resort to using high tech swim suits to gain an advantage. Take away the fancy swimsuit and Phelps would be nothing more than a slightly above average swimmer instead of a world record holder.

BMX starts the 19th you whiner.

And the high tech advantage of clipless pedals will ruin it for you :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds like sour grapes over not being able to get to the highest levels of your sport. Getting to the Olympics is a little different than being the captain of the high school football team, and I disagree that it's a waste. Whether these folks get paid or not the experience should serve them well later in life. I am not a super competitive person and can't really relate to sacrificing a huge part of your life for a long shot - an incredibly long shot for most - at winning on event that only comes along every four years, but there is a part of me that definitely admires the dedication, the ability to perform under very high pressure, and the glory that comes from bring triumphant while the world watches. Sure, to some extent these athletes are just attention whores, but I'm still a fan.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Oh, I am sorry.
You obviously have stumbled into a thread containing humor.
Please exit your mind numbingly boring ass to the right.
Would not want any "fun" to infect you.

Don't feel bad though.
If you showed up to a sword fight, and you were just standing around with your hands in your pockets, you would be asked to leave there too.
Safety first.:thumb:
Guess I was too tired to get you joke about people from spain crossing the border illegally:think:

Or were you mocking the spainish people for making squinty eyes becasue the chinese don't have that particular trait?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds like sour grapes over not being able to get to the highest levels of your sport. Getting to the Olympics is a little different than being the captain of the high school football team, and I disagree that it's a waste. Whether these folks get paid or not the experience should serve them well later in life. I am not a super competitive person and can't really relate to sacrificing a huge part of your life for a long shot - an incredibly long shot for most - at winning on event that only comes along every four years, but there is a part of me that definitely admires the dedication, the ability to perform under very high pressure, and the glory that comes from bring triumphant while the world watches. Sure, to some extent these athletes are just attention whores, but I'm still a fan.
This has nothing to do with me not being able to get to the highest level of the sport (which I never wanted to anyways, I was just trying to stay in shape). It has to do with how you get there.

To me, the Olympics is about determining who is physically the strongest, the most agile, has the most talent, or the best physical fitness/endurance/etc. NOT who has the biggest Technology/R&D budget.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Zinged again.

I don't know about you, but I might become more interested in women's sports if they followed these rules.
Yeah but the quick breakaways to wrestling highlights when I wasn't expecting it might turn me gay.

You gotta watch out for that shlt. Never know when the gay™ might creep up on you.

Of course coming up short on hurdles could provide some comedy. Might have to include a 'junk drag' penalty.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
To me, the Olympics is about determining who is physically the strongest, the most agile, has the most talent, or the best physical fitness/endurance/etc. NOT who has the biggest Technology/R&D budget.
Come on, technology will always be a part of the highest levels of sport. That is one reason it's useless to compare different eras, and why records keep getting broken. Where do you draw the line? You're bothered by new swimsuits - what about improved training methods or better understanding of nutrition? Plus, the governing bodies keep things under control and prevent a real unfair advantage. Within a given era, I think everyone is pretty much on the same level.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Guess I was too tired to get you joke about people from spain crossing the border illegally:think:
:banghead:
The original pic was ignorant and racist and I was just returning the favor.
And everybody knows that ignorant racist people think that ALL Spanish people are Mexicans.
See explaining it, takes the FUN out of it.
Exit-------------------------------------------------------->

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Take away the fancy swimsuit and Phelps would be nothing more than a slightly above average swimmer instead of a world record holder.
:rofl::rofl:
Phelps has been breaking world records since before those suits were invented.
And also, are you actually watching him swim? In the same pool, with the same suit on as everybody else?
He is leaving those dudes like they are standing still.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Same with full face helmets. Safety ruined the olympics for me. When they were started, those ancient dudes wear throwing javelins butt naked.
"See...what gymnastics needs is defense. You gotta guy up there on the rings right...doin' his thing. Then you put a big dude from another team out there trying to yank him off of 'em. Or the vault...you have the dude running at the spring board, but then you toss in a linebacker trying to stop him. NOW we got ourselves a SHOW!!"

-Alonso Bodden

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Come on, technology will always be a part of the highest levels of sport. That is one reason it's useless to compare different eras, and why records keep getting broken. Where do you draw the line? You're bothered by new swimsuits - what about improved training methods or better understanding of nutrition? Plus, the governing bodies keep things under control and prevent a real unfair advantage. Within a given era, I think everyone is pretty much on the same level.
so its not cheating if everyone does it?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ummmmm......working? Working a 9-5 for 30-some-odd years must take some sort of commitment, no?

Try working only 5 hrs a day everyday instead of 8 and see what happens.
5 hours in the pool.

2 hours in trainer's room.

Add in a few weight lifting sessions, stretching, and media BS, sounds like a full day.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
so its not cheating if everyone does it?
It's not cheating if it's a level, legal playing field.

This is a type of swimsuit that is deliberately made available, free of charge, to all swimmers and is sanctioned by the Olympic committee.

jonKranked said:
Take away the fancy swimsuit and Phelps would be nothing more than a slightly above average swimmer instead of a world record holder.
So wrong, it's almost hilarious.