Quantcast

Olympus Pen?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I know everyone here seems to love Canon, but has anyone played with an Olympus Pen? I've read some reviews online and things have seemed pretty positive. Reason Im drawn to it is its size, as I've been doing alot of backpacking/fishing lately and the quality of my point and shoot fuji just isn't where I need it to be.
Also, Im planning on a few huge trips within the next year that deserve to be photographed very well, so Im going to make a camera purchase probably here this fall.
What do you think?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think the Pen is a great portable camera. Micro 4/3 is probably in a lot better place than the standard 4/3 system because the standard 4/3 system wasn't enough smaller than the APS-C digital cameras to make the drawbacks worthwhile.

I've only just played with it, to be honest, but my initial impressions were really positive. The build quality is great, and it's certainly tiny.

If I didn't already have a bevy of Nikon lenses, I would have purchased that for my girlfriend when I bought her a DSLR since the goal was for us to have a big DSLR and a small DSLR, the latter being for lighter traveling.

You might want to consider the Panasonic DMC-GH1 instead of the Pen, though. For a size/weight penalty, you score a viewfinder (which can be important outside in bright light), and a built-in flash, along with faster autofocus, while still being smaller than the smallest APS-C DSLR. It is noticeably bigger than the Pen, though:

You should probably evaluate your needs for a flash and a viewfinder, since the Pen has neither (though both can be purchased optionally - but it's more for you to pack if you do that).

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Thanks for the input. I'll look into the panasonic for sure.

Viewfinder Im sure I could live without, built in flash... less sure, however a real flash would be something nice to have.

Did you see I bumped your Galapagos thread, cause Im going there in Spring? That's a big part of the reason I want to get a camera, plus an upcoming trip to the Keys.

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
I'll add a +1 to what BV and Poland posted. In addition, the new Panasonic G2 is worth a look as well, much of what the GH1 is for a bit less cash.

I've used both an Oly PEN and a Lumix GF1. If you're going to shoot only jpeg I suggest the PEN. If you want to shoot RAW the GF1 comes into it's own, and the autofocus was noticeably faster than the PEN I tried.

Any of these cameras are far beyond the typical P&S camera.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been running the Olympus 4/3 system for a few years. Got it for backpacking and went for it on the size and weight. It isn't that much smaller or lighter than other offerings but I originally pulled the trigger because Oly's cheap kit lenses seemed far superior than the cannon. The lense selection isn't as good as the other brands but I've pretty much fell in love with my 11-22 for anything outside. The body based IS is a pretty big deal too, you pay for IS once, not with every lens.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Did you see I bumped your Galapagos thread, cause Im going there in Spring? That's a big part of the reason I want to get a camera, plus an upcoming trip to the Keys.
You're going to love the Galapagos. What specifically is bringing you there?

If you're cool without the viewfinder, you can pick up a small flash, the Pen, and Olympus 14-150, and you'd pretty much be covered for everything. If you grab the kit lens with the body, you'll have a compact setup, and then the all purpose 14-150. The 14-150 isn't perfect but it's pretty decent quality and will mean you're not worried about carrying or changing multiple lenses which sounds like what you're looking for.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You're going to love the Galapagos. What specifically is bringing you there?
A plane.

If you're cool without the viewfinder, you can pick up a small flash, the Pen, and Olympus 14-150, and you'd pretty much be covered for everything. If you grab the kit lens with the body, you'll have a compact setup, and then the all purpose 14-150. The 14-150 isn't perfect but it's pretty decent quality and will mean you're not worried about carrying or changing multiple lenses which sounds like what you're looking for.
That was going to be my next question. Perfect.

Seriously though, I'm finishing a master's in biology in early may, and the trip is kind of a celebration of that, I guess. Going to spend some time in Lima also on the way, as my mother in law will be working down there and have a place for us to stay (already emailed alexisdh) but plans are still coming together.

When I get back I'll have to get some kind of real job, I guess. Hopefully I don't end up teaching.