Quantcast

OMFG..! a N8 bike related thread!!111

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If it's in the kind of condition claimed in the ad, certainly. If it's more heavily used, depends on just how much more.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, in "mint condition" it's probably worth it. Couldn't touch a new bike like that for 2k, could you? Is 3 yr old suspension noticeably dated?

El cheapo stem though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, in "mint condition" it's probably worth it. Couldn't touch a new bike like that for 2k, could you?
Hell no. The '08 version of that bike (granted, it's carbon now) runs $6900. Frame alone is $2900.
Is 3 yr old suspension noticeably dated?
Not sure where you're getting 3 from, since the bike is an '03. But at any rate, while that suspension isn't quite up to par with the latest and greatest, it's pretty damn good. The fork is a really good efficient pedaling racer boy fork. If that's not you, you'll probably hate it. Small bump compliance isn't really there, but it'll soak up the big stuff, and dosn't bob at all. More or less the same for the rear suspension. Fast and efficient, but not so forgiving.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The 2003 suspension is nowhere as good as subsequent years. The shocks for that entire year were crap. There was no user adjustment of the threshold and they were either valved too hard or too soft and regardless of that setting way too slow.

That being said most folks might not know that and pay it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hell no. The '08 version of that bike (granted, it's carbon now) runs $6900. Frame alone is $2900.

Not sure where you're getting 3 from, since the bike is an '03. But at any rate, while that suspension isn't quite up to par with the latest and greatest, it's pretty damn good. The fork is a really good efficient pedaling racer boy fork. If that's not you, you'll probably hate it. Small bump compliance isn't really there, but it'll soak up the big stuff, and dosn't bob at all. More or less the same for the rear suspension. Fast and efficient, but not so forgiving.
Im trapped in '06 I guess.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Other than the stem, it is actually worth probably 3k. Thats a hi end xc bike, even on the older systems, the Brain system was awesome. to give an idea, 08 frameset for the Sworks epic, < the one pictured is an 03 epic> is 3K for the frame and 7K for the bike with a simular component package, the 03 wasnt that far off of that price.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
N 8 I'm confused...

Don't you already have titanium/carbon bling bikes for days (BTW your single speed still makes me drool). Not that this isn't a nice bike but.....Aren't you already covered?

You can never have too many bikes but.....???

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!

I can't sell my awesome shape complete blinged Stinky for a fair price, so I figured this: Bike parted out on ebay + time and effort to ship = bike worth.

Too much trouble to part out, so I'll keep her.

Those Mavic wheels suck imo, (they're not for big riders) and it's not worth 2K.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
N 8 I'm confused...

Don't you already have titanium/carbon bling bikes for days (BTW your single speed still makes me drool). Not that this isn't a nice bike but.....Aren't you already covered?

You can never have too many bikes but.....???
i'm not buying just pricing

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Other than the stem, it is actually worth probably 3k. Thats a hi end xc bike, even on the older systems, the Brain system was awesome. to give an idea, 08 frameset for the Sworks epic, < the one pictured is an 03 epic> is 3K for the frame and 7K for the bike with a simular component package, the 03 wasnt that far off of that price.
I'm not sure about 2k, let alone 3k. It's 960 series XTR which has plummeted in value since the '08 came out. The cranks have proprietary chainrings, made of aluminum that Shimano sourced from Land-o-lakes. Plus questionably-performing suspension, I'd say $1700.

But, today's market is all about carbon, so $1700 may be a bit high.

mai too sense