Quantcast

**OMG!!!** A cantilever brake question

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
So I'm putting cantilever brakes on my commuter, trying to maintain a first-generation mtb look. I'm using an old schwinn frame, but not old enough. It doesn't have the female part that the cable housing terminus fits into. I have seen adapters that mount to the seatpost, but a google search for "cantilever brake" and "adapter" just turns up a bunch of disc brake adapter and v-brake parts.

Anybody know what I'm talking about, what it's called, and where I could find one?

Also, anybody have any of the sweet cant-brake hangers (red triangle, peace symbol, paul logo, etc.) that they would sell for cheap?

Thanks!

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yeah, just got to the LBS...everyone ive worked at has had tons just laying around in the back since nobody uses them anymore.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
SkaredShtles said:
For the love of God WHY?!? :D
You'll see when I post the pics; gonna be sweet. I'm moving to Portland, and I can't bear to join the legions of fixie-riding, cycle-cap wearing, coffee swilling, Chrome bag swinging, shaved and tatooed calfed jerk-offs that seem to solely ride from one bar to the next looking for over-priced PBR.

Instead, I'm gonna go for the High-Life drinking, hairy-legged having, beater bike blazing, enraged urban redneck look. Lookout PDX.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yepper. I have a old bridgestone carcass "in the pile" at work. I will see if it is still has the seatpost bolt cable hanger still on it. If so I will just send it to you.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
jdcamb said:
Yepper. I have a old bridgestone carcass "in the pile" at work. I will see if it is still has the seatpost bolt cable hanger still on it. If so I will just send it to you.
That would be great, but I'll check my LBS first. I just didn't know what it was called, so I wanted to get that squared before I went searching.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
sam_little said:
That would be great, but I'll check my LBS first. I just didn't know what it was called, so I wanted to get that squared before I went searching.
Look for one of those trick hand shaped ones. Ibis used to build them into the frame but I remember seeing them that used the seatpost bolt. Good luck....

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I may have one. I have a Giant Sedona from around '91 I think and I'm pretty sure it had one. I'm not sure if I tossed it when I strip the parts a few back.

If I can find it a send it to ya.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
mogulskr said:
I may have one. I have a Giant Sedona from around '91 I think and I'm pretty sure it had one. I'm not sure if I tossed it when I strip the parts a few back.

If I can find it a send it to ya.
If you mean the hand shaped one, that would be friggin rad.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
After looking I think I mine is welded to the frame. Unless I thinking of something different. Here's a pic.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If all else fails, (and by the offers you've received in this thread it doesn't seem it will) and if you don't change your seat height too much, and you're not going to be jumping all over the place, you can drill two holes in your seat post. One in the front large enough for the outer, and one in the back smaller that just lets the inner through.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Changleen said:
If all else fails, (and by the offers you've received in this thread it doesn't seem it will) and if you don't change your seat height too much, and you're not going to be jumping all over the place, you can drill two holes in your seat post. One in the front large enough for the outer, and one in the back smaller that just lets the inner through.
That is called an "Excelsior" and I can't remember why. It doesn't work with a hite-rite though. :thumb:

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
If you're stuck and need to sort the ride quickly, you can just zip tie the outer cable to the toptube/seattube/seat stays junction. Make sure you use a couple of decently strong zipties though.

Works fine, I ran this setup on my old kona for about a year when I lost the cable hanger for it.