Quantcast

^^OMG Its ThursdayGMT^^

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Weather finally starting to cool off. Temps look to be in the low 70s during the day and 50s at night. This is prime bike ride'n weather. Thats all I got folks.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good morning, peanuts! Dragged my carcass to the pool this morning and swam for an hour. BLAH. This is the best weather time of the year....lows in the 30's, highs in the 60's, no humidity. The bedroom got nice and cold last night with the windows open.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Good morning, peanuts! Dragged my carcass to the pool this morning and swam for an hour. BLAH. This is the best weather time of the year....lows in the 30's, highs in the 60's, no humidity. The bedroom got nice and cold last night with the windows open.
i love this weather as well. need to do some MTB in it.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Ride last night coming home from the bar, no lights, shirt and shorts, 70+ degrees couldn't have been a better night.

This morning has been rough.

Lunch ride planned.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Pedaled in bright and early, 36 hours fasted. 30 to go!

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
"pedaled" or pedaled?
Sans quotes, on this fine ride of mine that you have spied before.

(Since about April I've been without an office--new office should be done in a month or so. And I'm certainly not locking up the Shuttle on the outside bike racks at work! Plus fenders and panniers are nice.)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
are there before pictures of fat toshi?
I did have the thought to take a few before pictures. This is me on August 4, somewhere around 38 BMI, albeit with "only" 30% overall body fat (36% in the abdomen, which is the worst place for it risk-wise):

At that point I looked like an overstuffed normal person, IMO. The defattening is ongoing: weighed in this morning a solid 20 lbs down from the photo, although that's probably exaggerated since I'm in the middle of an medium length fast. I'll be a legit 20 lbs down in a few days, likely.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did have the thought to take a few before pictures. This is me on August 4, somewhere around 38 BMI, albeit with "only" 30% overall body fat (36% in the abdomen, which is the worse place for it risk-wise):

At that point I looked like an overstuffed normal person, IMO. The defattening is ongoing: weighed in this morning a solid 20 lbs down from the photo, although that's probably exaggerated since I'm in the middle of an medium length fast. I'll be a legit 20 lbs down in a few days, likely.
i only bust your chops in jest. good on you for doing this. i'm trying to get my shit sorted myself.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i only bust your chops in jest. good on you for doing this. i'm trying to get my shit sorted myself.
Keto diet (or even just cutting carbs down to, say 100g/day) + intermittent/occasional extended fasting really is the hot ticket. After posting about my experiences with it I've had a ton of friends come out of the woodwork and share that they've lost 30, 50, 75 lbs and kept it off by using these techniques.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Keto diet (or even just cutting carbs down to, say 100g/day) + intermittent/occasional extended fasting really is the hot ticket. After posting about my experiences with it I've had a ton of friends come out of the woodwork and share that they've lost 30, 50, 75 lbs and kept it off by using these techniques.
my biggest issues that i'm working to address:

1 - late night snacking
2 - beer consumption
3 - eating more fresh fruits.

1 & 2 are by and large my biggest issues. i was doing good on them, then the accident happened.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

1 - late night snacking
2 - beer consumption

1 & 2 are by and large my biggest issues. i was doing good on them, then the accident happened.
Based off of what I have read and heard I'm totally behind 1 and 2 being culprits. Having high insulin levels throughout the night (and then eating breakfast! who told us to do this anyway?!) means you never get a low insulin state, ever.

But if you're not nutrient deficient staying away from things with fructose is probably good. In mouse models it increases rates of pancreatic adenocarcinoma, and then you have the anecdote of Steve Jobs, an avowed fruitatarian...

If you're feeling in a biochemical mood:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Based off of what I have read and heard I'm totally behind 1 and 2 being culprits. Having high insulin levels throughout the night (and then eating breakfast! who told us to do this anyway?!) means you never get a low insulin state, ever.

But if you're not nutrient deficient staying away from things with fructose is probably good. In mouse models it increases rates of pancreatic adenocarcinoma, and then you have the anecdote of Steve Jobs, an avowed fruitatarian...

If you're feeling in a biochemical mood:

oh i absolutely know they are the culprits. my weight was going down and staying down consistently when i was drinking less and not snacking before bed.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Couldn't get to sleep until after midnight and Hannah decided to wake me up at 6:30am. Today will be slow but I get to meet with a Director of Benefits of my largest client today.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I’m just shy of 6’ 2” and ~200-205. I guess I should concerned?
But you can do a lap of WR in 1:15. You are doing just fine. :D

I'd love to see Jon head up Belcher. (While I watched from my e-bike.)

:D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
So last night the wife and I had been asleep in the camper for about 45 minutes when my phone started ringing..

Hello:

Eric this is Ann we have a medical emergency at the race barn how fast can you get down here?

Five, what's the issue.

Rider got knocked over and stomped by the horse

Aw shit.. Sent to Trauma center. .ended up 3 broken ribs bruised kidney and lung

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm slow as fuck on the climbs, but have many local and nearby in excess of an hour. (with breaks)
oh yea i get that. my issue isn't that i couldn't potentially handle it, i'm just not conditioned to it. that plus elevation. my house sits at about 250' above sea level :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

1 - late night snacking
2 - beer consumption

I've cut beer out totally during the week (on week 4). I don't know what its done for my health, but it has most certainly saved a lot of money.

Still reading the book at @Toshi pointed out about fasting. I haven't dived in with it yet, but it makes sense to me. I think it'll be easy though, I already generally don't eat breakfast and eat my lunch late in the afternoon at work.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
But you can do a lap of WR in 1:15. You are doing just fine. :D

I'd love to see Jon head up Belcher. (While I watched from my e-bike.)

:D
If that's me, then given his speed the other night Evan would definitely beat me. My August was terrible for riding mileage and September hasn't been much better.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
oh yea i get that. my issue isn't that i couldn't potentially handle it, i'm just not conditioned to it. that plus elevation. my house sits at about 250' above sea level :rofl:
Shit, I did that on on hill during the ride with Haley last weekend.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
It's my Friday. w00tw00t.
not sure what I am gonna do tomorrow. we will leave for Grand Lakes in the late afternoon once the girls get home.
Lola has been extra melty lately, so it should be a fun 48 hours. :/

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
consult your career counselor.
Fixed that for @Full Trucker

the longest sustained climb on any trails within an hour drive of me is maybe 10 minutes tops.
We definitely need to get you on a bike if/when you ever get back out here. We could do White Ranch, Chimpex, and Deer Creek. :D

Maybe throw in Bergen Peak for fun afterwards...