Quantcast

on a darker note

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
In San Francisco this morning while working a house fire there was a flash over. 3 San Francisco Fire Fighters were inside when it happened, the temperatures soarded to over 1000 degrees. Our gear is good to 500. One firefighter died instantly, one is a San Francisco General in extremely critical condition, the third escaped with minor injuries

Lt. Vincent Perez, 48, died trying to extinguish a fire at a four-story home in Diamond Heights. Anthony Valerio, 53, is in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital's intensive care unit with severe burns.

A third firefighter was treated and released for minor burns and smoke inhalation, Talmadge said. Her name was not released.

Perez was a San Francisco firefighter for 25 years. He was born and raised in the Mission District and Bernal Heights, and was known for his courage and sense of humor, firefighters union president Tom O'Connor said.

"He was always the first guy in a fire and the last guy out," O'Connor said. "He lightened up the mood at the firehouse ... He was a firefighter's firefighter."

Perez and the others were hurt during a "flashover," when the temperature in a room rises so high that its contents ignite spontaneously, said Mindy Talmadge, a spokeswoman for the Fire Department.

All three firefighters were found together in the home at 133 Berkeley Way. Perez and Valerio were unconscious and the third firefighter was able to walk out on her own, officials said.

There are a bunch of us on this board that will understand and feel this more than others. We are part of that brotherhood.
Gff, Dogwelder, me, and many more whose names escape me right now.

This really has me looking at my age, my fitness, my reaction times it's sobering.

Rest in peace Lt Perez and FF Valerio I'm pulling for you brother

Mattcz

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
I wonder how quickly the room went from flame over to flashover? Any idea if they were truckies or an engine crew?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, it was Diamond Heights, about 2 miles from my house.

One time the SFFD literally were across the street from my house. Luckily no one was hurt and they put a very serious house fire out before anyone got hurt.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Stepson starts with the wildlands crew here in the Tallac district of Tahoe on the 6th, and Alaina wanted to be a firefighter. Loads of respect for the job they do, and prayers out to these individuals......

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Eric, I'm so sorry.
Vincent and Anthony, thank you for your service; may you rest in peace.
May their memory be eternal.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
a little while ago Firefighter paramedic Anthony Valerio of the San Francisco Fire Department succumed to the serious burn to his respiratory system. Two deaths on the same fire is two too many...

Rest in Peace Brothers
One of my co-workers is a part time firefighter, and I guess Valerio trained him. He got a call this morning with the news, you could see the kid get crushed with the news, super tragic.