Quantcast

On-board tools/gear

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What are the best solutions for carrying tools and supplies on-bike at the moment? I'm thinking of a spare tube, pump, tire levers, a few Allen wrenches, and maybe a spare derailleur hanger. Are the current market options good enough to forego carrying a pack? I see stuff from OneUp, Wolftooth, and Lezyne, but don't know if anyone else makes options worth considering.

I've been a hydration pack guy for the past 20 years, but spent the spring carrying nothing but my phone in a pocket and found I liked the freedom. Most of my rides are 8-20 miles, and I'm seldom remote enough that walking out wouldn't be an option.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The most functional but least fashionable solution is the XC jersey back pocket. How cool do you want to look?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The most functional but least fashionable solution is the XC jersey back pocket. How cool do you want to look?
I wore sweatsuits and corduroy pants through middle school, so I'm pretty sure looking cool has never been my forte.

Though on topic, the shirts I wear to ride bicycles are the same I wear hiking, and they are all sans pocket. Do they even make reasonably priced pocket jerseys?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The problem with "a few allen wrenches" is that you'll always need the size that is on your bike somewhere that you didn't bring.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The problem with "a few allen wrenches" is that you'll always need the size that is on your bike somewhere that you didn't bring.
In all my years of riding, I can recall needing to tighten/adjust the following on more than one occasion: stem bolts (3mm), grip bolts (2.5mm), headset top cap (4mm), saddle (5mm), shifters/brake levers (4mm), and derailleur stuff (3mm and 5mm). So reasonably speaking, if I carry 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm, it would seemingly address the majority of things I've encountered.

Of course, I say that and watch my pedal or crank loosen up mid-ride next ride.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In all my years of riding, I can recall needing to tighten/adjust the following on more than one occasion: stem bolts (3mm), grip bolts (2.5mm), headset top cap (4mm), saddle (5mm), shifters/brake levers (4mm), and derailleur stuff (3mm and 5mm). So reasonably speaking, if I carry 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm, it would seemingly address the majority of things I've encountered.

Of course, I say that and watch my pedal or crank loosen up mid-ride next ride.
No torx?

My itty bitty One-Up tool covers everything I need.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
No torx?

My itty bitty One-Up tool covers everything I need.
Trying to think of what is torx on my current bikes, and all I can come up with are rotor bolts and brake bleed screws, neither of which I've ever needed to touch mid-ride.

You have one of the OneUps that tucks in the bar end, steerer, or crank spindle? Or just a standalone?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Trying to think of what is torx on my current bikes, and all I can come up with are rotor bolts and brake bleed screws, neither of which I've ever needed to touch mid-ride.
I have torx on my seatpost and several bar clamps. All I really need is a 3, 4, 5, T-25

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Slight derail but have you thought about one of the new-school hip packs? They're sort of the Goldilocks option for shorter days without loading up your bike with stuff. I like my EVOC a lot.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They help to sag down your shorts so you rip them on the seat and buy new shorts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I might actually put one in my dh bike too.

Just for clarification - I have one EDC multi tool, but have multiple carriers depending on bike. The mattoc on my Scott wasn't the right size to tap so I got the edc lite, they sell the plastic carrier by itself.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
These threads constantly pop up, but the ‘list’ changes slightly over the years/needs.
I carry:
Wolftooth handlebar tools (with chain tool)
Stan’s dart tool with 5 darts
Tubolito tube
Wolftooth chain pliers (with two master links)
Spare hanger
tire levers
fatty zip tie
Brake pads
small patch kit box with assorted bolts, cleat, cleat bolts, tubeless valve, der. Cable, spare chain links, brake pad pin/bolt
some gorilla tape (naturally)
water purification tablets
1oz bottle of Dumondetech
emergency foil blanket in base of steer tube
sometimes headlight and whistle, not always.
All of this is super stealth, in a tiny saddle bag that doesn’t interfere with dropper.

I have needed basically everything on this list except the emergency blanket before.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
These threads constantly pop up, but the ‘list’ changes slightly over the years/needs.
I carry:
Wolftooth handlebar tools (with chain tool)
Stan’s dart tool with 5 darts
Tubolito tube
Wolftooth chain pliers (with two master links)
Spare hanger
tire levers
fatty zip tie
Brake pads
small patch kit box with assorted bolts, cleat, cleat bolts, tubeless valve, der. Cable, spare chain links, brake pad pin/bolt
some gorilla tape (naturally)
water purification tablets
1oz bottle of Dumondetech
emergency foil blanket in base of steer tube
sometimes headlight and whistle, not always.
All of this is super stealth, in a tiny saddle bag that doesn’t interfere with dropper.

I have needed basically everything on this list except the emergency blanket before.
i was gonna say that's an insane amount of bullshit, then i remembered you guys get pretty far out in the backcountry. the vast majority of the trails i ride, i'm rarely more than a 20 minute walk from my car, or at least a road.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Honestly, I usually need this stuff to help out unprepared gomers so I don't leave them alone in Grizzly country...but I have certainly needed lots of it myself. Sometimes we are a few hours of a walk out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
For on bike carrying, it looks like OneUp covers most things with their tools and pump. And a bag or frame strap like what @rideit uses would cover carrying the other misc stuff.

I almost always carry a long list of crap like rideit. We don't have the same back country experience and most places have cell service, but there are times where you could be a 30-60 minute walk or more from the car. Even if its a 20 minute walk, I'd rather fix the problem and ride out, than do the walk of shame.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
For on bike carrying, it looks like OneUp covers most things with their tools and pump. And a bag or frame strap like what @rideit uses would cover carrying the other misc stuff.

I almost always carry a long list of crap like rideit. We don't have the same back country experience and most places have cell service, but there are times where you could be a 30-60 minute walk or more from the car. Even if its a 20 minute walk, I'd rather fix the problem and ride out, than do the walk of shame.
This was the real reason I started this thread. Not so much as a, what do y'all carry, but more a, what do y'all carry on/in the bike and how is it contained?

I know some OneUp kits require tapping the steerer, are those the kits you are referring to? I'd rather not, simply cause I don't wanna buy the tap too. Are the steerer kits superior to the bar end stuffs, or do the bar end kits carry different items than the steerer? And what frame straps are decent these days? I don't know shit about fuck when it comes to this stuff.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This was the real reason I started this thread. Not so much as a, what do y'all carry, but more a, what do y'all carry on/in the bike and how is it contained?

I know some OneUp kits require tapping the steerer, are those the kits you are referring to? I'd rather not, simply cause I don't wanna buy the tap too. Are the steerer kits superior to the bar end stuffs, or do the bar end kits carry different items than the steerer? And what frame straps are decent these days? I don't know shit about fuck when it comes to this stuff.
One Up now has a kit that doesn't require tapping. Headset preload is handled by a headlock type thingamajigger.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

the original kit / version requires tapping the steerer. there are limitations on what forks are compatible with this based on the ID of the steerer. They list a few known incompatible ones on the oneup website. my mattoc was not compatible with this. i have this on my 36 for my megatrail. this version stores the multitool plus the storage compartment (chain pliers & tire plug they offer fit in this) or a CO2 cart.

i also have the EDC lite, in which the star nut just gets pushed farther into the steerer. this configuration only allows for storage of the multi tool. i have this on my mattoc.

the headlock version stores the full tool like the original version.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
The newest oneup looks great without the need to tap, but still carry full tool unlike the lite version.

I currently use the bar end tools from Lezyne. The are nice quality, only thing does not have is a chain breaker. Works best with aluminum bars or carbon if they are not ovalized inside.