Quantcast

On the docket...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
jdcamb said:
Looks like some cool terrain. Looking forward to it...
27 mile river trail. i like river trails and this one is always touted as the best. i've heard about it for years and it was in one of the rags top 10 all time trails. From pictures, past reports it does look outstanding. i'm wondering if i'll be too engorged in the trail to stop and take photos.:sneaky:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've done it as a shuttle. It was fun but super long and much more of a xc ride than it sounds when people say shuttle. I got burned out and ended up finishing the last couple on the road.

Have fun. I'm a bit jelous.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Skookum said:
i'm wondering if i'll be too engorged in the trail to stop and take photos.:sneaky:
Bite thy fvcking tongue.:wave:

take pictures.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
buildyourown said:
I've done it as a shuttle. It was fun but super long and much more of a xc ride than it sounds when people say shuttle. I got burned out and ended up finishing the last couple on the road.

Have fun. I'm a bit jelous.
27 miles? That's a shortie. ;)

So Skooks - which trail is it? The green one *right* along the river? It looks tasty from a topographic standpoint. :D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
That trail is simply awesome - you'll all have fun...wish I could join you. Like already stated, it will kick your ass!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
SkaredShtles said:
27 miles? That's a shortie. ;)

So Skooks - which trail is it? The green one *right* along the river? It looks tasty from a topographic standpoint. :D
Yes, number 3507. McKenzie River Trail.

Best of all, it's only going to be mid 70's this weekend:thumb:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I should warn you, there is currently a Black Crater fire burning just outside sisters and by McKenzie. Highway ORE242, 17 miles West of Sisters MP 74 - 86, issued: 07/24/2006 1:04 pm. Forest Fire in area. Highway is closed.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Heidi said:
I should warn you, there is currently a Black Crater fire burning just outside sisters and by McKenzie. Highway ORE242, 17 miles West of Sisters MP 74 - 86, issued: 07/24/2006 1:04 pm. Forest Fire in area. Highway is closed.
Huh?

Thanks for the info! Do you know where I can go get up to date info on this fire and road closer?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
one of the best things about that ride was the shuttle back up...8 guys w/ 11 bikes in the blackened hold of a U-Haul truck, w/ beers and banging out a tribal beat on whatever surface available.

you may have had to have been there.

mtbtom, can i get a witness?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
one of the best things about that ride was the shuttle back up...8 guys w/ 11 bikes in the blackened hold of a U-Haul truck, w/ beers and banging out a tribal beat on whatever surface available.

you may have had to have been there.

mtbtom, can i get a witness?
Well i still say you don't know more than magazines. They know all...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
mtbtom said:
It happened. For the record my "instrument" was the neck of a beer bottle against the inside wall of the truck.
i'm not sure the magazines said you were supposed to do that in the article i read...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I ran it once on foot... popular 50K when run as an out and back. :thumb:

Heidi: Do you still have those pictures from a few years back when you rode with... IRB & MBC? Or is that just some pre employment flashback of somebody else?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That does look like a great trail, I've heard a lot of good rides from it. Some day I may have a bike I could do miles on.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
mtbtom said:
But having ridden the MRT what I liked even better was the North Umpqua River Trail near Roseburg.
That's been on the hit list.:)

Y'know all kidding aside there was a big deal about North Umpqua in one of the rags. They were calling it "Trail X" in order to try to keep a massive flood of people from riding it. i found out about that when people on some local boards started inquiring about it, asking what is Trail X????. i thought that was ridiculous on many levels....

And believe it or not i don't have a top ten list. Trails can be different from year to year and from day to day. Twist my arm and i'll spit out a few trail names, but for the most part they all can be good if you bring the right attitude, and/or people.:)

But sometimes the masses have a good basic idea and many many positive opinions can't be wrong. So with that i'm stoked....

Serial Midget said:
i'd be interested in riding it as an out and back, but not with my downhill chums.:rofl: Hey howzabout Humptulips Trail in about a month or so?:)

jimmydean said:
Some day I may have a bike I could do miles on.
i keep on saying that about my Enduro, complaining about my tall 36 and 34 lbs. But then i get to the top and have miles of downhill, and i quickly forget.:)

Go sell some more sausages and buy an XC bike.:)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Skookum said:
i'd be interested in riding it as an out and back, but not with my downhill chums.:rofl: Hey howzabout Humptulips Trail in about a month or so?:)
Sounds like it could work... low river + a much needed vacation in mid September = a qualified maybe. :)

I haven't been on a bike since I started my new assignment... :nopity:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
Sounds like it could work... low river + a much needed vacation in mid September = a qualified maybe. :)

I haven't been on a bike since I started my new assignment... :nopity:
From what little of it i rode the trail is really primitive, but i'm looking forward to doing it again because the scenery is really nice. Keep me in the loop on your time off, might be nice to make a social out there with possible campout with a beach ride one day and the Humper the next.:)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Skookum said:
i keep on saying that about my Enduro, complaining about my tall 36 and 34 lbs. But then i get to the top and have miles of downhill, and i quickly forget.:)

Go sell some more sausages and buy an XC bike.:)
I keep trying to, but it never turns out right. I bought a GT Ruckus I-Drive, but then I dug it so much I didn't touch the DH bike for 2 months. Then the DH season started and I lost my ass.

I am building a long HT that "should" be trail worthy, I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks.

I look forward to the pics and ride report, maybe I'll put it on my list of "must rides" before the weather sucks.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Serial Midget said:

Heidi: Do you still have those pictures from a few years back when you rode with... IRB & MBC? Or is that just some pre employment flashback of somebody else?
I never rode it with them, I've ridden it with a ton of people back when I wasn't working so I don't know which ones you are talking about :love: I don't have any of the pics on this computer at work though. :mad:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hmmmm... a few years ago someone posted some very cool pics, wrote a ride report that mentioned running out of water so they drank from the river... I thought it was you because you made such great ride & race reports. :thumb:

Well I mixed my stories but here is yours:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58754&highlight=mckenzie+river+trail

Its was mushrooms... not water. :)

Heidi said:
I never rode it with them, I've ridden it with a ton of people back when I wasn't working so I don't know which ones you are talking about :love: I don't have any of the pics on this computer at work though. :mad:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
No pictures or detailed ride report yet, but here is a short summary....

1) The trail lived up to it's billing:)

2) The weather was perfect:)

3) 27 miles on a bike make you hinnie sore:nope:

4) Skooks got stung by some hornets about 1/3 of the way down while taking pictures, but rode it out like a stud:ouch:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Snacks said:
4) Skooks got stung by some hornets about 1/3 of the way down while taking pictures, but rode it out like a stud:ouch:
Yah i mean riding off the mountain with a broken leg was easy compared to them stupid hornet stings...

Believe it or not it actually takes me hours to do ride reports, photo editing and writup... Anyways i'm almost there but i gotta go watch my dumb friend get hitched at the courthouse.:)

Anyways here's a teaser...

[/IMG]

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Glad you guys liked it. It sure is a lot of fun and the pic posted at BBTC of the Blue Pool shows it living up to it's name.
See Skookie, having the rain out in June worked out just fine after all...:)