Quantcast

On the next bike

Whenever the time comes to replace the Tracer, I have been thinking about selection criteria. So far it would include:
- Metal frame
- Not from a manufacturer that produces e-bikes
- 27'5" wheels
- 2.4" tires

Of no particular concern at present:
- What shifting system
- What braking system

Nice but not necessary:
- Raw finish

I'm not sure whether I'd stay with 160 mm travel or ratchet it down a notch. Weight's not an issue, what I might call playfulness might be.

Since my usual replacement reason is a broken frame, I believe that I have a while to think about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
GG's carbon, as I understand it, so no.
they're one of the few carbon frames worth considering IMO. they're doing thermoplastic vs thermoset (which is what all other carbon bikes currently on the market are). and their production is still in the US. also front triangles are carbon, back ends are still aluminum.

take a look at the Privateer bikes. good looking alloy bikes without totally insane prices.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'd be surprised if there isn't an updated aluminum Scout in the works. Transition just updated that bike and have a history of releasing the carbon version first.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
also seriously, that Tracer hasn’t broken yet? I’d buy a lottery ticket! ;)
Do you just repeat what you read on the internet or do you have data on the rate of failures of Intense frames? Because there are quite a couple of people that ride them and while they break they do not seem to have a higher rate than other manufacturers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you just repeat what you read on the internet or do you have data on the rate of failures of Intense frames? Because there are quite a couple of people that ride them and while they break they do not seem to have a higher rate than other manufacturers.
how long have you been mountain biking?

:D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Any particular reason for going with 27.5" wheels vs 29"? There are more choices if you are open to a set of wagon wheels.

Like say, the Reeb Sqweeb (no affiliation with the actual 'Squeeb). 150mm travel, aluminum, made in USA, comes in a raw finish.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
how long have you been mountain biking?

:D
Over 30 years and I own Intense frames for 20 years. They are aluminum frames on the lighter side of the spectrum, so they will fail eventually. As does every other frame of similar build.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Ah yes, I remember my first week posting on Ridemonkey too.

they're one of the few carbon frames worth considering IMO. they're doing thermoplastic vs thermoset (which is what all other carbon bikes currently on the market are). and their production is still in the US. also front triangles are carbon, back ends are still aluminum.

take a look at the Privateer bikes. good looking alloy bikes without totally insane prices.
Not carbon, because it's an environmental nightmare and because I dislike its failure behavior.
Any particular reason for going with 27.5" wheels vs 29"? There are more choices if you are open to a set of wagon wheels.
Habit, and because I'm thinking of tweaking towards responsiveness.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The no e-bike thing is tough to achieve now, but as mentioned above by @amishmatt definitely take a look at Banshee as I think they can fit all of your requirements. They don't offer completes so you'd be able to build it up exactly as you want. I think the Spitfire hits your list. They're on my potential list of brands for when I replace my 7+ year old Turner trail bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Over 30 years and I own Intense frames for 20 years. They are aluminum frames on the lighter side of the spectrum, so they will fail eventually. As does every other frame of similar build.

JBP is also on the lighter side of the spectrum. Actually I think he is pretty much just made of straw stuffed into human clothing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
2nd the Banshees. No ebikes, metal, but made in Asia. I'd definitely like a go on one.

Aren't the aluminum Transitions very heavy?