Quantcast

On the next bike

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I have a 100% failure rate on Intense frames and 100% hate rate for them also. Who the fuck discontinues replacement parts after 3 years...??

I'd second Transition. Go Scout before Patrol for east coast riding. If ever there is a tin can version of the 2021, it would be my next frame. (2017 Scout right now.)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Do you just repeat what you read on the internet or do you have data on the rate of failures of Intense frames? Because there are quite a couple of people that ride them and while they break they do not seem to have a higher rate than other manufacturers.
Intense was the only frame that I ripped the bottom bracket shell off of. But I did own two and the other one didn’t detonate. We’ll just say that Intense obviously has a 50% failure rate.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You're entitled to draw whatever lines in the sand you want, of course, but care to explain your reasoning behind the "no e-bikes" requirement? It will seriously limit your choices, particularly if this isn't happening any time soon.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have a 100% failure rate on Intense frames and 100% hate rate for them also. Who the fuck discontinues replacement parts after 3 years...??
On how many frames?
Canyon, Specialized, Trek to name just a few. From Canyon you can not even get current model year chainstays.
I guess you are aware of the replacement parts shop on Intense's webpage. Things get out of stock frequently, but are replenished all the time and you can get most links, bolts and such for frames up to 10 years old. Just no more frame parts as they have given up their domestic manufacturing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Funny, out of the 20 or so of their frames I own one might qualify for being not perfectly aligned. What is your N?
my N was 0 after seeing enough friends have misaligned frames. this includes frames that ate bearings because the stays weren't well enough aligned, wheels that were improperly offset, rear ends that had dropouts needing to be pushed together or pulled apart to get a wheel in.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
You're entitled to draw whatever lines in the sand you want, of course, but care to explain your reasoning behind the "no e-bikes" requirement? It will seriously limit your choices, particularly if this isn't happening any time soon.
And is it retroactive? Surly makes an e-cargo now.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
and let's not forget how the rear tires on the 951's would hit the seat tube when bottomed out.
That was the M6.
I am not saying they are perfect, but most people complaining never owned or worked on them. Most issues that I am aware of are from people that either are fairly heavy, do not set up or maintain their equipment well, or generally have a reputation of breaking frames.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That was the M6.
I am not saying they are perfect, but most people complaining never owned or worked on them. Most issues that I am aware of are from people that either are fairly heavy, do not set up or maintain their equipment well, or generally have a reputation of breaking frames.
it was definitely the 951. a buddy of mine from racing had one. i saw it first hand. never heard about it on the m6, doesn't mean it didn't happen. supposedly it happened on the first gen 27.5 carbine as well.

its well documented and well known that intense had alignment issues for a period of several years and across several models. it wasn't just lack of maintenance or heavy riders. this was happening with frames brand new straight from the factory. i never owned one after hearing enough complaints in the race pits at numerous venues across a period of years, and actually seeing these issues first hand.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Impossible, that bike was so insanely progressive past the sag point that you'd never bottom out out unless it was so undersprung as to be a wallowy mess :D

1590782052268.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
all that being said, there were enough of them out there that had zero issues that the brand didn't get totally sunk. from what i've heard since they moved to carbon the alignment issues have mysteriously vanished.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'll say my intense bit: i beat the shit out of my uzzi for 6 years before it cracked on the rear seatstay. they replaced it for free, no questions asked. i know 3-4 other people locally who rode tracers with zero issues. i've broken other bikes (including my recent nomad) much more quickly. obviously jbp likes his tracer. i'd guess it will keep him happy for many more years.

what this thread does illustrate is how many companies are on the e-bike train. even intense and sc. sad.

i agree with @jonKranked about pick your poison. not sure how a carbon frame that's super solid from somewhere like gg is really that much worse than an alloy one. especially if you're gonna keep your bike for 6-8 years like I'm sure jbp will.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'll say my intense bit: i beat the shit out of my uzzi for 6 years before it cracked on the rear seatstay. they replaced it for free, no questions asked. i know 3-4 other people locally who rode tracers with zero issues. i've broken other bikes (including my recent nomad) much more quickly. obviously jbp likes his tracer. i'd guess it will keep him happy for many more years.
that's the flipside, the ones that worked were great. it's no secret that intense was having business issues, which is why steber left, but then eventually came back as ceo in 2018.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That was the M6.
Or failure due to bad welds.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
i agree with @jonKranked about pick your poison. not sure how a carbon frame that's super solid from somewhere like gg is really that much worse than an alloy one. especially if you're gonna keep your bike for 6-8 years like I'm sure jbp will.
GGs plastic is actually significantly less earth murdering than normal plastic bikes, and being made in Co I can only assume any toxic byproduct is disposed of in at least a mildly responsible manner. GG ticked all the boxes for me, Non 3rd world, environmental not horrendous, non ebike, and cutting edge geometry that’ll be a bit less outdated in 4-5 years when I’m ready to upgrade.

I get wanting aluminum though, I was a diehard anti carbonite too until I scored my Carbine 29 for so cheap I didn’t care if the frame broke. It ultimately gave me 5 good years, and now a friend has it and it’s serving him well. I did however break the aluminum suspension links a lot.

The 27.5 thing seems like a weird hill to die on though. You’re willing to accept the newest most arbitrary wheel standard, but not that one that’s been around for almost two decades and is pretty much universally accepted as the better option. Not like his wheels are likely to swap over anyway, Boost was the nail in the coffin for that.

I have zero regrets about buying my GG, but if the current version of the Squeeb existed when I was shopping, I think that’s probably the rout I’d have gone, because for some reason I still wish my bike were aluminum. If I were JBP, I’d but the Reeb and embrace 29” wheels, if for no other reason that to piss kidwoo off

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The 27.5 thing seems like a weird hill to die on though. You’re willing to accept the newest most arbitrary wheel standard, but not that one that’s been around for almost two decades and is pretty much universally accepted as the better option. Not like his wheels are likely to swap over anyway, Boost was the nail in the coffin for that.
there's enough difference between the 2 that i don't see 27.5 going away fully. in the DH world cup realm, the first jump was to 275, then 29, and now there's a shift to a mullet setup (29 front 275 rear). sure there's fewer of them, but there's enough demand for that wheel size that more than just a handful of companies are offering it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I do not wish to support any company that produces bicycles designed for off-road use with electric motors.
look mom....i'm not pedalling....and i'm going up this hill!

but then again....i have never seen a e bike in action....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Some of these have been mentioned already, but:

-Airborne (Plague) - maybe don't get one of those right now
-BTR (Pinner)
-Banshee (Spitfire, Rune)
-Canyon (Spectral AL)
-Cotic (Flare, Rocket)
-Foes (Ridgeback, FXR)
-Ghost (SL AMR, FR AMR)
-Knolly (Warden)
-Starling (Swoop)
-Transition (Patrol, Scout)

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

All of the legal ones on trails are class 1. 250W nominal, pedal assist, no throttle.

Assist modes muck with things a bit, but there's no going uphill without pedaling happening. Instead it multiplies one's input torque.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Had a few guys on e-bikes overtake me on the trails last night, in a state park that to my knowledge does not allow them. Far be it from me to judge who and who should not be on one, but the pilots were reasonably shaped men in their late 30s, early 40s.

Takes some of the fun out of it IMHO, but whatever.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
there's enough difference between the 2 that i don't see 27.5 going away fully. in the DH world cup realm, the first jump was to 275, then 29, and now there's a shift to a mullet setup (29 front 275 rear). sure there's fewer of them, but there's enough demand for that wheel size that more than just a handful of companies are offering it.
I have to disagree with this statement. I recently have swapped out between 29 and 27.5 wheels on my hard tail and the difference was almost unnoticed. Same bike, same tire models, same rim width. I could notice a small difference when swapping them out and immediately riding back to back around the neighborhood. I could barely tell the difference a few days apart on the actual trail. Each had their pros and cons but they honestly kind of all cancel out. Now the bigger wheels can drive different geometry, but the hardtail has super short 415mm stays.

Unless JBP has a large inventory of wheels and tires he wants to re-use, just find the bike with the right geometry that checks all the right boxes and let the wheel size get determined by everything else.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
fwiw, re: wheelsize. friend won the decked out reeb squeeb 29er. he's maybe 5'7" and he was a die hard 26 rider before that. now the reeb is all he rides and he loves it. i've even considered throwing a 29" fork on the front of my nomad...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what the fuck is a reeb squeeb......brb....

made in schlongmont......interesting...

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You're clearly already forgetting the "fun" of grinding up Belcher! For the Fells or whatever, though, sure.
Oh Belcher Hill on early season legs was the absolute worst, there's no way I can forget that.

But once I had my fitness built up it was always a good challenge to see if I could clean the whole thing. Managed to do it all in pieces, but never linked it bottom to top. Best I managed was a single stop.

The challenge is what I find fun. Both up and down.