Quantcast

On the next bike

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
it was definitely the 951. a buddy of mine from racing had one. i saw it first hand. never heard about it on the m6, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Who is this jonKranked guy commenting here then? :D

its well documented and well known that intense had alignment issues for a period of several years and across several models. it wasn't just lack of maintenance or heavy riders. this was happening with frames brand new straight from the factory. i never owned one after hearing enough complaints in the race pits at numerous venues across a period of years, and actually seeing these issues first hand.
I never argued that it didn't happen, but it seems people blow it out of proportion quite a bit. My sample size is quite big and why should I be the only guy in the world that was so lucky to only get well aligned frames?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Oh Belcher Hill on early season legs was the absolute worst, there's no way I can forget that.

But once I had my fitness built up it was always a good challenge to see if I could clean the whole thing. Managed to do it all in pieces, but never linked it bottom to top. Best I managed was a single stop.

The challenge is what I find fun. Both up and down.
It's still a challenge to clean the whole thing. It's just a quicker challenge.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I never argued that it didn't happen, but it seems people blow it out of proportion quite a bit. My sample size is quite big and why should I be the only guy in the world that was so lucky to only get well aligned frames?
I have a Joplin dropper post that is somehow still functional. What's your point again?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Oh Belcher Hill on early season legs was the absolute worst, there's no way I can forget that.

But once I had my fitness built up it was always a good challenge to see if I could clean the whole thing. Managed to do it all in pieces, but never linked it bottom to top. Best I managed was a single stop.

The challenge is what I find fun. Both up and down.
Wounded me today. I love/hate that climb.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
RAAW released the Like A Virgin pretty recently, it would suit-
1590794249194.png

Curtis have their XR650 and Black Market have the Roam but it has the same length stupid pinch bolt type headtube for every size, just to let you know that it was designed by the former Corsair dude.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Some of these have been mentioned already, but:

-Airborne (Plague) - maybe don't get one of those right now
-BTR (Pinner)
-Banshee (Spitfire, Rune)
-Canyon (Spectral AL)
-Cotic (Flare, Rocket)
-Foes (Ridgeback, FXR)
-Ghost (SL AMR, FR AMR)
-Knolly (Warden)
-Starling (Swoop)
-Transition (Patrol, Scout)
Canyon and Ghost offer electric mopeds.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
And my N=4...

Needing a dremel to fit my chainguide on my uzzi, as did at least three of my buddies as well, was not uncommon and often joked about at the time (bikes rode great).

I would really be curious to see production quantities , with corresponding serial/lot #s. Otherwise all our N are anecdotal at best.

N=1 vs. N=20+
Do you even do stats, bro?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Switchback 160 meets the request, even combines two different materials-
1590833957876.png

Snabb 160
1590836194730.png

Zumbi F11 GeoRevo-
1590836385461.png

Dartmoor Blackbird Pro
1590836617213.png

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
And my N=4...

Needing a dremel to fit my chainguide on my uzzi, as did at least three of my buddies as well, was not uncommon and often joked about at the time (bikes rode great).

I would really be curious to see production quantities , with corresponding serial/lot #s. Otherwise all our N are anecdotal at best.
That was pretty common back in those days, an e13 guide needed some serious shaving to fit the Nicolai Ion I had.

My N=1, my bike is shit at everything so I can always say I brought the wrong bike no matter what I am riding, it's fantastic!

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Except on my uzzi it was frame material that had to be removed. And it ate bearings as well, all pointing to misalignment.

Wish it was the guide.. of course back then it was a chain guide with FD for all the funz..

That was pretty common back in those days, an e13 guide needed some serious shaving to fit the Nicolai Ion I had.

My N=1, my bike is shit at everything so I can always say I brought the wrong bike no matter what I am riding, it's fantastic!

Except on my uzzi it was frame material that had to be removed. And it ate bearings as well, all pointing to misalignment.

Wish it was the guide.. of course back then it was a chain guide with FD for all the funz..
I have never had a bike with suspension that did not eat bearings and/or bushings at some rate.

Generally I'll take the bike into a competent shop in December for soup to nuts maintenance - fork and shock seals and whatever else, check/replace bushings and bearings, bleed brakes, ya-da-ya. Routine maintenance during the riding season I attend to myself; beyond chain replacement, I don't usually have to do much.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I have never had a bike with suspension that did not eat bearings and/or bushings at some rate.

Generally I'll take the bike into a competent shop in December for soup to nuts maintenance - fork and shock seals and whatever else, check/replace bushings and bearings, bleed brakes, ya-da-ya. Routine maintenance during the riding season I attend to myself; beyond chain replacement, I don't usually have to do much.
That is what I like about my Transition. With the Intense frames it was lower bearings overhaul every season. The Scout is at 2300 miles of trail, still on OG bearings and smooth as new.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That is what I like about my Transition. With the Intense frames it was lower bearings overhaul every season. The Scout is at 2300 miles of trail, still on OG bearings and smooth as new.
Same with my Hightower. 18+ months of riding, still on the original bearings. Once a year I add grease via a zerk fitting, that's it. My old Ibis, OTOH, required a new seat of bearings 1-2x / year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I'm not talking once a year bearing changes for pivots. I'm talking several times a year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Who is this jonKranked guy commenting here then? :D

It's not "blown out of proportion" when an issue is so widespread the manufacturer has to issue a fix (to offer free replacement parts for product already on the market as well as a running change in production) and a public statement addressing the issue.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My old RFX went for years without needing bushings, or really any attention whatsoever. With the 5" rocker plates on it had modern'ish geometry, minus a tall bottom bracket. Loved that bike, and wish I could track down a straight steerer Fox 36 to build it back up.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have never had an issue with bearings on any of my Knolly's.
My Endorphin used to have a slight hunger for an IGUS bushing on one side, every 2 years, everything else was minty. INA bearings if memory serves.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I rode a Turner with bushings for almost ten years and only ever greasing the zerks, still.tight. Sadly the death if the bike came from obsolete geometry and corrosion caused by my sweat.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I think I rode about 5-6 years on the 6pack bushings, eventually, when I cracked the front triangle due to riding too small of a frame (my fault), I replaced the rear bushings when Turner supplied me with a new front triangle. The rear bushings at the horst-link were the only "loose" ones and no play in the bike, just obvious when it was taken apart. I'll always consider grease-port IGUS-style bushings to be a better system than stupid ass bearings, much better lateral rigidity and ease of maint. I replaced the bearings in my RFX with high end stuff about a month back, but it's a major PITA to do so and you still have a system where they'll eventually kill themselves due to loss of grease, oxidation, wear, etc.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Sample size is irrelevant in both our cases, as the point is that it's well documented what the issues are. You even provided evidence yourself, which undermines your sample size "argument".
One thing are these famous crooked and breaking frames. Here the sample size is relevant because you only hear the people that complain.
Other cases are faulty product like tires hitting the frame or this too thin machined chainstay yoke on the first gen. Tracer VP. These had 100% failure rates for the first batch. In both cases Intense provided solutions to solve this at no cost to the customer. No excuse that this shit happened in the first place, but at least they dealt with it in a good way.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Trouble makers are these shitty Enduro bearings. Replace them with quality bearings from SKF or NTN and all is good.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's not "blown out of proportion" when an issue is so widespread the manufacturer has to issue a fix (to offer free replacement parts for product already on the market as well as a running change in production) and a public statement addressing the issue.
In contrast to reputable companies like e.g. Shimano or Canyon who do nothing?
And don't mix things up. Some frames had issues from the get go that were addressed by Intense. Before you were arguing that quite a high percentage of frames are crooked or cracked. This I think is a wrong perception of yours and others that bring this up over and over in forums. Hearsay is not good enough, especially from a guy that apparently has never heard of rear tires hitting the frame on the M6. ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
[QUOTE
Trouble makers are these shitty Enduro bearings. Replace them with quality bearings from SKF or NTN and all is good.
[/QUOTE]
Mmmmm, nothing screams quality like stuff made in India, love those SKF's hahaha!
I have cracked a 4" ENDURO roller, but it was due to my own stupidity, didn't align a 800Lb attachment properly and it swung in and whacked the roller. ENDURO bearing seem to last pretty well in the field but the stuff I work on is a lot like bikes though- misalignment issues, various surfactants used, idiots with pressure washers, overloading, no greasing etc etc, so gauging how well something is made by how long it lasts isn't really an exact science.
If something is misaligned, a bearing with poorer tolerances may last longer than one with tighter tolerances, as long as the seal is able to keep some pressure on the lip it should go okay.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One thing are these famous crooked and breaking frames. Here the sample size is relevant because you only hear the people that complain.
Other cases are faulty product like tires hitting the frame or this too thin machined chainstay yoke on the first gen. Tracer VP. These had 100% failure rates for the first batch. In both cases Intense provided solutions to solve this at no cost to the customer. No excuse that this shit happened in the first place, but at least they dealt with it in a good way.

Jonkranked read it on the internet, it has to be true.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Mmmmm, nothing screams quality like stuff made in India, love those SKF's hahaha!
I have cracked a 4" ENDURO roller, but it was due to my own stupidity, didn't align a 800Lb attachment properly and it swung in and whacked the roller. ENDURO bearing seem to last pretty well in the field but the stuff I work on is a lot like bikes though- misalignment issues, various surfactants used, idiots with pressure washers, overloading, no greasing etc etc, so gauging how well something is made by how long it lasts isn't really an exact science.
If something is misaligned, a bearing with poorer tolerances may last longer than one with tighter tolerances, as long as the seal is able to keep some pressure on the lip it should go okay.
The issue of the Enduro bearings are the seals because all faulty ones I have seen were contaminated or rusted. SKF 2RSH are way better sealed.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
see if waltworks would so something in aluminum for you rather than ti/steel maybe....

20200531_005211.jpg

no carbon/ebike ever....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Again, sample size is irrelevant because it doesn't change the fact that the issues *actually existed*.

In contrast to reputable companies like e.g. Shimano or Canyon who do nothing?
And don't mix things up. Some frames had issues from the get go that were addressed by Intense. Before you were arguing that quite a high percentage of frames are crooked or cracked. This I think is a wrong perception of yours and others that bring this up over and over in forums. Hearsay is not good enough, especially from a guy that apparently has never heard of rear tires hitting the frame on the M6. ;)
Where did I say anything about failure rates and percentages? Only point I'm making is that the issues actually existed and are well known. You got your panties all in a bundle for some reason because you were lucky and didn't experience the issues. And yea, I can't be bothered to remember all the details of the issues of a bike I had not interest in owning because of said issues 12 fuckin years ago.