Quantcast

On the trail first aid

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I'm putting together a basic first aid kit to carry in my camelback and was wondering if and what everyone here carried. So far I have this stuff for mine....

butterfly bandages
bandaids
small non-stick gauze pads
stretchy sticky stuff to hold on gauze. (kind of like an ace bandage except it sticks to itself)
small bottle of antiseptic spray
Krazy glue
vitamin I

Any other ideas?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
LordOpie said:
gel neosporin... glob that on and you're covered, literally.

big knife :D
I thought about neosporin but figured that is more post ride. This is just the basics to make it through the rest of the ride.

big knife..... I carry a 4" spyderco. :evil:

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I'd ditch the butterflys for steri-strips

Lose the band-aids all together

Substitute a roll of tape for the CoBan (Stretchy self adhesive stuff). It's smaller, lighter, and more versatile.

Anti microbial wipes for the bottle of antiseptic spray. Alcohol prep pads could work too.

A variety of gauze pad sizes

Tweezers

Latex gloves

Duct tape

Ibuprofen/anti inflamtories.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
maxyedor said:
No painkillers=Morphine:rofl:
Laugh as you may, saving some quality meds is a very good idea. Just one or two from your [or your buddies] last injury can be a godsend when trying to get off the mountain. Not everyone rides with a pipe or flask, but a few legit perks can save the day. Carried them ever since the day I didn't have them :rofl: .

Oh, and The Skooks likes space blankets. Not sure where you ride, but for outback yonder lostasphuck, it's a good idea too. :cool:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Morryjg said:
I'm putting together a basic first aid kit to carry in my camelback and was wondering if and what everyone here carried. So far I have this stuff for mine....

butterfly bandages
bandaids
small non-stick gauze pads
stretchy sticky stuff to hold on gauze. (kind of like an ace bandage except it sticks to itself)
small bottle of antiseptic spray
Krazy glue
vitamin I

Any other ideas?
is this just for you or are you planning on helping other people out? Austin and San Antonio have groups of riders that patrol local trails and help injured riders.
www.bikemojo.com is the place.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You shouldn't worry about small gashes or stuff to clean it out. Just finish the ride and/or go home and do that....

Gauze, Wrap, Tape.

Although i don't carry any a tampon is a great absorbent for huge gashes.(sorry i'm too tired to word it different)

Super glue, but only for last resort of course...

The tape can be used for fixed on bikes too, therefore one may want to use duct tape, but that stuffs a bitch for a hairy person.

Also Wrap is important because it can be made into a sling.

No drugs since if you do something bad enough to legitamately need pain killers, weak drugs may complicate the taking of the good stuff. Suck it up princess, at least until you get the goods.

Knife, if it's sharp you'll be able to use it as a tool. Plus if you make a splint (Toshi) make sure you whittle off the nubs on the sticks so they don't dig into someones skin (me).

Space blanket is good for bad weather, people go into shock and need to keep their body temp normal. And you never know if you gotta spend the night in the woods.

Cel phone for help is the best first aid, unless you're a trained emt...

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
The Toninator said:
is this just for you or are you planning on helping other people out?
For me and whoever happens to be with me. I do have duct tape in my pack that I put in there for mechanicals, so it will double as first aid.

Laugh as you may, saving some quality meds is a very good idea.
I have some vicodyn (sp?) left from earlier this year that I was thinking about throwing in the kit. Still undecided on that one.

Anti microbial wipes for the bottle of antiseptic spray. Alcohol prep pads could work too.
A variety of gauze pad sizes
Tweezers
Latex gloves
Good stuff! I thought about tweezers, but figured if it was that small I could ride out with it. I have pointed nose pliers for mechanicals and for cactus splines. (Hope I never have to use them for cactus)

A space blanket is a cool idea. I remember an older post from Skooks that mentioned it, I'll have to pick one up and throw it in.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Triangle bandages - basically large square sheets of cloth folded into triangles, good for bandages/wraps, slings, etc.

Couple of safety pins never hurt to have along (for securing bandages - although the self adhesive stuff might work too).

The advice about skipping the drugs is good. It would suck to have taken Percoset or something, then get a shot of morphine once you hit the hospital. All of a sudden you have a broken bone and and OD/drug interaction issue on top of it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You guys have left over morphine, vicodin, percocet, whatever from your last accident?

I took my leftovers recreationally. i'm proud of y'all.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Having tape/ace bandages, etc. in lengths long enough to wrapped around the thigh a few times is helpful. We came up a bit short on this one and the bandage kept dislodging on the slog out.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
justsomeguy said:
Having tape/ace bandages, etc. in lengths long enough to wrapped around the thigh a few times is helpful. We came up a bit short on this one and the bandage kept dislodging on the slog out.

mmmmm....can I get that with a side of eggs? Over easy please....

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Skookum took my suggestion with the tampon. Seriously, the most absorbant material you can get!! I am an EMT and I carry them in my pack.

Carry a couple of triangular cravats. And not the little dinky ones that come prepackaged. Get some fabric material and make your own, nice big ones. Absolutely one of the best multi use things you can carry, but most importantly used for slinging shoulder or upper arm injuries.

Someone mentioned coban...great stuff. It holds pressure well and you don't need tape with it. It sticks to itself. Tip on buying it...I used to pick it up at a store that sold horse supplies. Same stuff, half the price.

Don't ever give anyone any pain meds, unless you are like in some extreme backcountry and advanced ALS is a long ways away. The Docs in the ER prefer injured patients on an empty stomach. They don't want the pain masked until they can figure what is going on; and drug allergies can really complicate things out in the field.

Last suggestion: if you or anyone you will be riding with happens to diabetic, carry a honey packet. Or you can get things specifically made for diabetics that you can carry.

Last last suggestion: Never a bad idea to carry an Epi-pen (sp?) if you can get your hands on one. This would be for the idiot on the trail who is one of those "if I get stung by a bee I have to get to the hospital in less than 10 minutes or I will die, but I don't carry my Epi kit with me." Run across one of these dudes whose been stung by a bee and going into anaphalactic shock, bust out an Epi pen......insta-hero!

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Morryjg said:
I have some vicodyn (sp?) left from earlier this year that I was thinking about throwing in the kit. Still undecided on that one.
Let me help you with that one. Technically it is illegal for you to give that to someone else. While a nice gesture, too many things can complicate that, so I wouldn't.

Enjoy the leftovers yourself or flush them.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
riverside73 said:
Skookum took my suggestion with the tampon. Seriously, the most absorbant material you can get!! I am an EMT and I carry them in my pack.

uh, don't you guys mean maxipads? They come prewrapped and everything.

gg