Quantcast

On the way to JBP!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
JBP has been kind enough to let his 1965 Matchless G15-CS (motorcycle) pass to me as its next caretaker. To a motorcycle guy, it's like someone offering you a chance to own an early, all-original Fat Chance or Eastern Woods Research bike.

I am in Rhode Island for a few weeks off and will be heading to VT shortly...

Got fuel in the truck I borrowed and some New England go-juice in me.

Waiting on co-pilot to hit the road!

Last edited:
I bought this motorcycle new in 1965 when I was 19.
Somehow, it has managed to survive very close to box stock, including its original tool kit.
I watched Mike's posts for years and decided he'd be the right person to carry it forward, so I offered it to him.
We have been discussing it for, I don't know, a year.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
No way, I want it!
No sign of MikeD, shit now I have to go to VT and get him out of JBPs basement. I hope I get there before Mmike. I swear to god I am not cleaning up any messes. I am very averse to cleaning up others bodily fluids. You guys are aware I expect to be reimbursed for Gas and Tolls when I have to rescue your sorry asses.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hah, I'd been planning on putting up a big travelog, and getting JBP on video talking about the bike, etc., etc., but the awesome trip kinda got in the way of its own documentation. And JBP got the only important pics.

Thanks to JBP for being a generous friend and fantastic host. Getting a chance to meet was awesome, and I hope we get to MTB in the future now that we look to be setting up shop in New England.

The bike's stowed at my father-in-law's until we're done in Africa sometime next spring/summer. Likely be back Stateside then and will give it a good going-over to tackle a few issues John pointed out. Mostly just needs basics like carb cleaning and a basic timing/tune-up, but I've never worked on a Norton twin. Not terribly different than the Enfield, but the devil is in the details.

The relationship between JBP and the bike is obvious, and I'm proud to have the chance to be its caretaker for the time being. It'll always be his machine. It's the small things he's done over the years that really seal that deal...the little problems solved in his own way. Same as I've been with my Enfield in a lot of ways.

JBP, Tom was cursing me for being so lucky all the way home.

(Toshi, I think we're facebook friends...you should be intimately familiar with my Ramboness.)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
To a motorcycle guy, it's like someone offering you a chance to own an early, all-original Fat Chance or Eastern Woods Research bike.
i can accommodate you on the latter when you are back in the states...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hah, that's awesome. Pics? But more stuff is not what I need. Plus after a few hundred feet of singletrack on the moonlander I need a fatbike... :p

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i think i have a pic at the house....

edit: went by the storage building...still needs to be cleaned from fire...

Last edited:

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Cool thread all around! Stoked to see what you do to the bike! And JPB... is this like a pre-dispensing of your will? Please, say it ain't so! (Though I can understand the desire to see the look on the faces of the recipients... go some ancient skis for me?! ;))

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm in the process of going through the estate of my wife's late (and estranged) father. seeing the amount of shit he had, i understand JBP's position and actions.