Quantcast

On why large corporations should not exist

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
having worked in pharma, the big problem with the premise of these researchers/this article is that they assumed a 1:1 correlation between drug pricing and R&D costs. they falsely assumed that the pricing of a drug reflects the R&D for only that given drug. they ignored the fact that for every drug that does make it to market, their are hundreds more that don't. and the R&D costs for APIs that never hit the market has to come from somewhere.

that's not to say that pricing on drugs isn't a problem (it is), but that's because our country allows medicine to operate on the free market like other businesses. if we had single payer this would be far, far less of an issue.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
if we had single payer this would be far, far less of an issue.

Single payer is how it works in NZ with Pharmac a central buying agency, the Pharmac system has it's faults but man does it lower the costs.
During the TPPA trade agreement negotiations the USA tried to get Pharmac style single payer outlawed under the trade agreement.
NZ kept Pharmac, but you can bet there will be more attempts to shut it down.

"Drama over rising rent costs—now a key driver of inflation—has been increasingly public. The year before the pandemic, roughly 46 percent of renters in the US spent more than 30 percent of their income on rent and therefore met the definition of cost-burdened, Harvard University’s Joint Center for Housing Studies found."

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Large corporations just amplify and scale the human trait of individual selfishness.

The 'small' company I work for received ~$1mm in PPP which the sole proprietor ended up disbursing to himself after it was forgiven.

I'd like to imagine that societies could achieve better if we truly valued things like education around kindness and the benefit of shared success and incentivization.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I couldn't pick which dumb free market joke I wanted to use

I'm a failure
Yes, that word is weaponized by the free market crowd, and although I cringed when I typed it, I'd like to think that it could cut the other way. Should there not be incentive to fair labor laws, affordable housing, a clean planet, etc..?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Should there not be incentive to fair labor laws, affordable housing, a clean planet, etc..?
we won't cut off heads?

This is the problem with the neoliberal pseudoscientific capitalist shit. None of them can think past a quarter or two. The incentive to fair labor laws and affordable housing is that your company succeeds, the community around it and supporting it do too.

Where we went wrong is that the idea of 'company' is so fluid now, you can just rape the assets, declare bankruptcy and do it all over again. (Hi Mitt!) relatively free of consequence. There's no long term strategy because there's no long term vision, nor does there really need to be.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Where we went wrong is that the idea of 'company' is so fluid now, you can just rape the assets, declare bankruptcy and do it all over again. (Hi Mitt!) relatively free of consequence. There's no long term strategy because there's no long term vision, nor does there really need to be.
In NZ the concept of company is also really fluid and vague, BUT the personal responsibility line is much more firmly set.
If you go into bankruptcy you are banned from owning or managing another business for 10 years.
So post bankruptcy you cant even be a manager for 7 years (3 years to be discharged from bankruptcy and another 4 years as a "discharged bankrupt".
It's not an easy way out — entering bankruptcy means the Official Assignee has control over everything you own (except things like your clothes and household appliances), and can sell them to pay off your debts.

From the Inland revenue website.
Your responsibilities

You must:
  • help the Official Assignee and provide all records and information you’re asked for
  • notify the Official Assignee and your Debt Repayment Order Supervisor if you change your:
    • name, e.g. if you get married
    • address
    • employment
    • terms of employment
    • income and/or expenditure
  • keep filing tax returns.
You must not:
  • take on any new debt over $1,000 without telling the new creditor that you're currently bankrupt. This should be done in writing to avoid any misunderstandings
  • be a director of a limited liability company
  • fail to provide information or lie to the Official Assignee
  • hide assets
  • try to prevent the Official Assignee from dealing with any of your assets.
You need to get permission:
  • to leave New Zealand
  • to take part in the management or control of any business (this includes if you file your own taxes, ACC levies or workplace insurance, or you’re responsible for meeting any regulations, e.g. health and safety requirements)
  • to be self-employed or employed by a relative or a relative’s business.
You can be prosecuted for breaking any of these rules.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
In NZ the concept of company is also really fluid and vague, BUT the personal responsibility line is much more firmly set.
If you go into bankruptcy you are banned from owning or managing another business for 10 years.
So post bankruptcy you cant even be a manager for 7 years (3 years to be discharged from bankruptcy and another 4 years as a "discharged bankrupt".
It's not an easy way out — entering bankruptcy means the Official Assignee has control over everything you own (except things like your clothes and household appliances), and can sell them to pay off your debts.

From the Inland revenue website.
It's actually sorta kinda similar here, at least in intent/theory, depending on which chapter you declare under.

The problem is each one seems to have a loophole you can duck under and reinvent yourself/your money/your investors rather quickly. Manipulating this system is how Trump became what he is.....which is someone constantly eligible to take investor cash, fuck over people doing the work, and then turn around and do it all over again. He names other fall guys managers to be the on paper heads.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
They already won in california. At least partially
And there you go.

Just imagine how profitable they would be if they weren't crippled by government oversight, crushing regulations, and a flawed business idea that's had years to mature but has never progressed beyond the "accumulate a mass of customers and figure out how to become profitable later" phase.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And there you go.

Just imagine how profitable they would be if they weren't crippled by government oversight, crushing regulations, and a flawed business idea that's had years to mature but has never progressed beyond the "accumulate a mass of customers and figure out how to become profitable later" phase.
Uber is still not profitable. Nor were they in the decade or so they operated before some meager regulations only put in place recently.

Neither is airbnb

All these shit box companies exist only on investments and some fantastic (like literal fantasy) hope.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Uber is still not profitable. Nor were they in the decade or so they operated before some meager regulations only put in place recently.

Neither is airbnb

All these shit box companies exist only on investments and some fantastic (like literal fantasy) hope.
Just trying to live the American Dream. Start a company and get rich off investors before they realize your idea is shit and the whole thing falls apart.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

Neither is airbnb

A big chunk of the economy is made up of "vessels".
Financial gymnastics are far more profitable than actual investment and economic growth (understood as jobs) given the incentives of the traditional monetary policies.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm still running my standalone copies of Lightroom and Photoshop from 2012 because of this SaaS bullshit. I don't use either frequently enough to warrant paying $10/mo from now until eternity. Get bent Adobe.
Ditto on the video stuff. Most of the decent codecs are backwards compatible and the joys of that old legacy shit is that people are still making plugins for some of it.

fuck adobe

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Ditto on the video stuff. Most of the decent codecs are backwards compatible and the joys of that old legacy shit is that people are still making plugins for some of it.

fuck adobe
Some day I'll see if I can get a codec or plug-in to do Nikon RAW file conversion in my version of Lightroom. They dropped support for my camera, so now every photo import requires Nikon Capture -> Adobe DNG converter -> Lightroom instead of directly importing into Lightroom via their tool.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Well, either I gotta go without heated seats this winter in my BMW X6 M Premium Midsize Sports Activity Coupe, or spot channels in my InDesign swatch palette.

I should start a poll.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Well, either I gotta go without heated seats this winter in my BMW X6 M Premium Midsize Sports Activity Coupe, or spot channels in my InDesign swatch palette.

I should start a poll.
*Or move across the Hudson. Didn't someone post in the car thread NJ had told BMW to get bent with subscription heated seats?

Moving to NJ seems pretty desperate though.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
*Or move across the Hudson. Didn't someone post in the car thread NJ had told BMW to get bent with subscription heated seats?

Moving to NJ seems pretty desperate though.
I'll just over there when my ass gets cold.