Quantcast

On why large corporations should not exist

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i call my office "the morgue" as i'm routinely the only one from my department on the days i'm in office.
Mine is similar. I mean, there are only desks for 8 folks and 3 offices, but it's me until 8, then maybe the CTO or the president get here and jump into a meeting. 4 of the devs are WFH and only come in for events, but there are 4 of us who come in a few days a week.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mine is similar. I mean, there are only desks for 8 folks and 3 offices, but it's me until 8, then maybe the CTO or the president get here and jump into a meeting. 4 of the devs are WFH and only come in for events, but there are 4 of us who come in a few days a week.
opposite here. lots of empty desks. its a ghost town compared to 2 years ago. our group used to be 15 of us on site. now there's only 2 of us left.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Got office space costing us a fortune, so it has to be filled.
Got to fill those gas tanks to get to work.
Got to pay for that parking.
I could go on...
Kinda makes you wonder if the system is rigged. :bonk:
Yeah, with US Bank vacating the US Bank Tower and MODA Health not occupying the MODA Center in downtown, it shows how some of the big names are dealing downtown spaces. Both locations became near empty during the pandemic and many of the folks there didn't want to return, so they have adjusted.

US Bank has a large space with PLENTY of free parking in Gresham, but Gresham isn't sexy. The folks who work there love not paying $250/month to park. MODA has a similar setup just south of downtown were they relocated many of the folks from downtown, same deal.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I suspect Amazon is looking to trim some fat and this is a good way to do some "voluntary layoffs"...
That was the goal of a few shops last year and some worked all too well. It's nice when the folks you want to leave, do. But not so great when folks you wanted to stay, leave.