Quantcast

On why large corporations should not exist

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was in my late 20's when I happened upon a Taco John's in Wyoming for the first time. I personally have only seen them in WY, the Dakota's and within the last decade, here in CO. If you never step foot in one, consider yourself fortunate.
There are Taco John's in Eastern Washington. Which is kind of funny as actual good tacos are kind of rare on the West side but abundant on the East. However there are probably a lot more people in Eastern Wa who desire very inauthentic tacos.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
There are Taco John's in Eastern Washington. Which is kind of funny as actual good tacos are kind of rare on the West side but abundant on the East. However there are probably a lot more people in Eastern Wa who desire very inauthentic tacos.
I'm pretty sure a Taco Johns is an indicator of entirely too much Jesus in a given area.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Wait, was Taco John one of Jesus' nicknames -- like Christ or Messiah? :confused:

edit, and if so, why isn't Sunday on a Tuesday?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
How the fuck is this not sufficient for a fraud case?
Or enough to sued for deceptive conduct/misleading advertising?

Tesla's secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints | RNZ News

About a decade ago, Tesla rigged the dashboard readouts in its electric cars to provide "rosy" projections of how far owners can drive before needing to recharge, a source told Reuters. The automaker last year became so inundated with driving-range complaints that it created a special team to cancel owners' service appointments.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We still get to WFH one day a week, but yesterday I went into the office and didn't have a single work related face to face discussion with a single person.
so valuable....

given that most managers are the assholes who sought out hall monitor assignments, the idea that you need to be in an office to be even more distracted from the things you could accomplish at home is very 1950s.

No wonder everyone drank like Mad Men™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so valuable....

given that most managers are the assholes who sought out hall monitor assignments, the idea that you need to be in an office to be even more distracted from the things you could accomplish at home is very 1950s.

No wonder everyone drank like Mad Men™
When working I would rather be at work if I had a reasonably private workspace. I just hate showering, commuting, and stupid loud/distracting open office environments. The loud and distracting open office environment wouldn't be so bad if i didn't work with the least interesting group of people on the planet. One dipshit who sits near me spends at least 20 minutes a day talking about Muscle Milk and going to baseball games to get free bobbleheads.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
When working I would rather be at work if I had a reasonably private workspace. I just hate showering, commuting, and stupid loud/distracting open office environments. The loud and distracting open office environment wouldn't be so bad if i didn't work with the least interesting group of people on the planet. One dipshit who sits near me spends at least 20 minutes a day talking about Muscle Milk and going to baseball games to get free bobbleheads.
:rofl:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Grindr, lol.

may the entire tech industry and gig economy die lying on its shitty worthless disgusting face choking on it's own fabricated delusions of self worth.

the gay hookup app is uptight. Tells you everything you need to know right there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm getting the feeling that these "back to the office" mandates are just a weasely way to do layoffs without having to actually lay anyone off... :tinfoil:
They haven't asked my wife back to the office and they have actually given up some office space downtown. They moved her out last year to the annex, but she's only there for an hour one day a week. But there has been talk of having some folks come back.

There are some advantages to in office interactions, but not forced.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They haven't asked my wife back to the office and they have actually given up some office space downtown. They moved her out last year to the annex, but she's only there for an hour one day a week. But there has been talk of having some folks come back.

There are some advantages to in office interactions, but not forced.
On year 4 now, I find myself in the office when necessary (faster access to network drives), and when there's a heat wave because there's AC there. We work in teh field™ all the time so there's always going to be some amount of office presence.

I think they know that many of us will quit if they try to force that shit. And with what happened to house prices in 2020+ they ain't hiring anybody else to move here with what they pay

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
On year 4 now, I find myself in the office when necessary (faster access to network drives), and when there's a heat wave because there's AC there. We work in teh field™ all the time so there's always going to be some amount of office presence.

I think they know that many of us will quit if they try to force that shit. And with what happened to house prices in 2020+ they ain't hiring anybody else to move here with what they pay
I've been going in most days because it's easier with lab resources and my wife is home all day, too. We get along just fine and we were working together for like 3 years, but it's nice to be gone, too. But I will be remote more than not once I get the lab where I want it.

There are only 18 folks here and nobody is getting fired. We have like 3 open reqs.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
By some miracle, I like everyone I work with. Hard to believe I know. And even then I can't fucking stand being in the office with its open office bullshit. It's distracting as all hell and the supposed "organic collaboration" that it supposedly fosters? What a crock. If upper management truly wanted to make data informed decisions, they'd know that research on open office plans is nearly unanimous, the pros don't outweigh the cons, even when thoughtfully implemented. And I can guaran-fucking-tee you that 95% of the open office conversation centers around "and how much is that going to cost", ignoring the fact that it'll cost far, far more in lost productivity over the long term.

Dialing into the same God damn Teams meeting as the 4 people sitting RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO ME just so I can hear things repeated 4x as it's picked up on everyone's mic incapacitates me with the fire of 1,000 suns.

But hey, what do I know.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the supposed "organic collaboration" that it supposedly fosters? What a crock.
"we think you commoners may come up with something that appeals to other commoners that we couldn't possibly think of given our stature but will still generate revenue while we get credit"

Dialing into the same God damn Teams meeting as the 4 people sitting RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO ME just so I can hear things repeated 4x as it's picked up on everyone's mic incapacitates me with the fire of 1,000 suns.
:rofl:

I had to disable teams on my work computer because two people wouldn't stop "chatting" with me every time they saw I was on the network. And yes, one of them working 10ft away from me.