Quantcast

Once again, I'm going to bore you with....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Though it's 2 days away, Alaina would be 16 this Thursday. And as always, I keep thinking I'm going to do well, then some trigger hits, and I get all teary eyed. And as before, I wonder how many calls/cards/dates/etcetc she'd be experiencing about now. I do know I had plans to hand over my van keys to her (what kind of respectable dad gives his daughter a van for her first car????). Now, wife and I will be celebrating her life at Mammoth, where I do know I've been granted lift tickets to the top, and we'll release a balloon or two with messages, and if the reception works, I'll be calling the Monterey Bay Aquarium and make a donation in her name ($16 for 16 years, big spender). Maybe stick around late Thursday and watch the movie at the Village. Find a trinket to leave with her when we get home. And talk with the Adventure Center manager about purchasing 2 or 3 of their rentals (one for wife, one for son, and one to flip).

It's still strange, that this is her 12th birthday away, and I still feel like it's the first one all over again. But I do feel like I'm getting better, and as long as I can ride in her honor, all will be well........

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Never boring and I knew exactly what you would be writing about when I opened the thread and still there were tears. I gave my girls an extra hug right after reading. Happy Birthday to your angel!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Don't know if you had a particular portion of the aquarium in mind, but I gave to the Children's Education Fund.
Happy Birthday Alaina.
P, know this of me...... I am not going to judge how someone wants to show kindness/support as you have. Thank you.

Just got home about an hour ago, and yesterday was rough, I'm not going to lie. Had a good Wednesday day/night, ate/drank/sauna-ed/and watched movies. Thursday, though, was a whole 'nuther story. Woke up, told wife I was going to play cabana boy for her and ride to town to NY Bagel/Deli for our morning bagels, and ride back (last time I did it, took 45m. This time, 38m). When I got back, she had been crying because of her memories of Alaina. Which got me crying. Which made us start to wonder if we should go home or try to stay another night (originally planned for just the one night). Left it to fate, went to front desk, and they said we could have the room another night. YAY!!! Went in to town, got a couple balloons, and met with adventure center manager, Ben (great guy) for gondola tix. Set us up without a hitch. At the top, watched the video on Dave McCoy, then out to very top, said a few words, and released the balloons. Oh, did they go high. Back down, and did our best to enjoy the day. During the whole trip, the theme was to try new things, which we did. Some good, some blah, yet all with Alaina on our minds. Oh, and even put a down on 3 of the rental bikes from the adventure center to get next month... one for wife, one for stepson, and one to flip. So if you know of anyone who wants to buy a medium Rocky Mountain Element10, or my wife's Soma custom I made for her, let me know.

Today was basic for our trip routine.... breakfast, last minute shopping, and on home. And some good news is that it looks like, depending on scheduling for my Maverik Bahama Mama contest in September, I'll be doing the Kamikaze Bike Games, too!!

Now for your viewing pleasure....

Attachments

Last edited: