Quantcast

one botched overseas move, and one insurance claim later...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the bling is almost complete:

closeup:

full view:

WC / CK...Oo La La:

it's the little touches that count:

the damn shop didn't set the crowns correctly:

:nope:

can't wait to get this bee-yotch on the dirt; gotta dial in the tuning. and still need to get the e13 direct mount stem.

J

JRB

You have better taste in music than bikes. :D

Kidding, of course. Looks nice. Cold, but nice. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well it's my wife's bike, actually. but i'm still a bit pissed that the shop didn't set the fork up right (7" of distance between the lowers and the bottom crown, 8" travel...hmm...). it's an easy fix, but for $1500 you'd figure the shop would be bending over backwards to get the thing setup right. i had to suggest the right spring rates for the fork too. :rolleyes:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
narlus said:
well it's my wife's bike, actually. but i'm still a bit pissed that the shop didn't set the fork up right (7" of distance between the lowers and the bottom crown, 8" travel...hmm...). it's an easy fix, but for $1500 you'd figure the shop would be bending over backwards to get the thing setup right. i had to suggest the right spring rates for the fork too. :rolleyes:
What shop did you take it to?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
Hopefully they didn't torque the crown bolts down too tight and damage the lowers... Most stanctions are thicker in the spot that the crown clamps.

Bike looks sweet :thumb: - nice, racable machine, perfect for someone shorter and/or lightweight.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no, the bolts weren't cranked down which is good. but it was obvious they didn't open the manual. the store shall remain nameless for now.

BV, it's a pretty light build now...tubeless rear, ti sprung (both shock and fork), thomson post and stem, 222 frameset...this would make an ideal freeride bike for lynn if the head angle wasn't so slack. the last bits of bling is the e13 direct mount stem (and then i can claim the thomson stem, woot woot!). she could probably use a lighter front wheel too (it's a 321 rim), but i've already got enough spare fronts. maybe i could work a trade. she could probably use lighter cranks too, but i'm not gonna worry about it. and now the silver cranks complement the fork (the old one was black).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
no, the bolts weren't cranked down which is good. but it was obvious they didn't open the manual. the store shall remain nameless for now.

BV, it's a pretty light build now...tubeless rear, ti sprung (both shock and fork), thomson post and stem, 222 frameset...this would make an ideal freeride bike for lynn if the head angle wasn't so slack. the last bits of bling is the e13 direct mount stem (and then i can claim the thomson stem, woot woot!). she could probably use a lighter front wheel too (it's a 321 rim), but i've already got enough spare fronts. maybe i could work a trade. she could probably use lighter cranks too, but i'm not gonna worry about it. and now the silver cranks complement the fork (the old one was black).
you say you have extra 20mm hubbed wheels Narlus - would you be willing to part with one of them inexpensively? - if so, let me know.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i've kinda got two spares, but one has a good-sized ding in the sidewall:

and the other one is my front wheel for the evil (hope bulb, convertible to 20mm w/ the kit i have).

so i really don't have any i could reasonably get rid of, aside from the one on hil's bike now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
you say you have extra 20mm hubbed wheels Narlus - would you be willing to part with one of them inexpensively? - if so, let me know.
I have a 20mm/QR wheelset but I'd like to get rid of them as a set, Mark. PM me if you're interested.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
COmtbiker12 said:
Where'd you get those gold grip clamps and bar ends? That would complete my gold V10. :D That thing looks sweet!!! :thumb:
the grip clamps are silver ODIs. must have been an artifact of the setting sun. the ends are 20 euro cent coins. they fit perfectly into the end of the bar.

this was a nice tip courtesy of a guy i used to race w/ in ireland.

:thumb:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
narlus said:
the grip clamps are silver ODIs. must have been an artifact of the setting sun. the ends are 20 euro cent coins. they fit perfectly into the end of the bar.

this was a nice tip courtesy of a guy i used to race w/ in ireland.

:thumb:
That bike is amazing, All the right parts for the Orange, boxxer, hopes, and CK headset amazing! Lets u know how u like the boxxer, they look really sick this year but im scared to buy into all the hype. How does it feel just parking lot test wise?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well for once, the rebound damping adjustment actually does something. so that's a start. it's nice and light, of course - that's a given. not sure if the "slippery" stanchions actually do anything or are just a pile of snake oil, but the fork feels good so far. i need to set it up for my wife's weight and riding style once we get out on dirt, but i think it should be a winner.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
she's about that weight too. i forget what rate the ti springs come in, but i think they should work (maybe there is just one in teh fork? i'll pop off the cap and take a peek). i think the sag is OK but need to double-check. i know that her original fork needed softer springs (i think i went w/ a yellow and silver, or maybe white?).

and just when the warm days and rain cleared the snow, it's back again. :mumble:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
she's about that weight too. i forget what rate the ti springs come in, but i think they should work (maybe there is just one in teh fork? i'll pop off the cap and take a peek). i think the sag is OK but need to double-check. i know that her original fork needed softer springs (i think i went w/ a yellow and silver, or maybe white?).

and just when the warm days and rain cleared the snow, it's back again. :mumble:
no there are 2 springs in there. Mine came with 2 med (yellow) ti springs. So I went ahead and got 2 Silver ones. That is what I used in my 7" Boxxer, so I hope 2 silvers will also work in the 8" one. If not I can always try a Silver and yellow combo.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:

Is it REALLY for your wife...didn't I see NARLUS painted somewhere on that frame...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
Mmmm hmmmm...and Homer Simpson had his own bowling ball, too.
and it said "HOMER" on it. :D

well, here is some proof to show it's not mine:

bring yr pretty babyblue V10 out east and come ride w/ us.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it was the sloppiest course i'd ever been on, maybe w/ the slight exception of the 24hr of Canaan race in '95. newly cut course + non-stop rain + riders + irish countryside = more mud than you can believe.