Quantcast

One finger brake action

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I just re-did my brakes. Cleaned the brake pads, rim and lubed the cable.
( white lightning wax actually). it's good, but not good enough. I'm using a odyssey mono lever, but with one finger it's not enough to stop me going over in manuals, or to lock in flyouts. With two fingers, yes, it's ok... locks up good.

So is it my brakes, still not dialled enough? wrong lever for me? or do I need to learn to use two fingers for everything...?
Dia compe AD990 in the back by the way.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
FYI - I have a Dia Tech Hombre on my model C (very flexy) and one finger braking is no problem at all.

My fbm steadfast with chrome rims and fly bikes brake is so extremely powerful with one finger it is amazing.

You should be getting more out of your setup...

How much spring tension are you running on the arms?

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
This website has pretty much the most comprehensive brake setup guide I've ever seen. It's a website for trials riding, but the same concepts can work for bmx brakes too.

http://free-du.htnet.hr/trials/faq.html#q4_9

It describes a lot of different strategies like where to put your levers on your handlebars, how to adjust your lever reach, and how to set up your pads. You can take stock brakes and make them one-finger locking machines!

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks. I'll get back on it. Just the stock pads and the rim is a 22 faction, but the paint has pretty much come off the side now.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Get clear pads. Stock pads are fine for chrome rims but are typically too hard of a material for non-chrome rims. Clear pads tend to be softer and work better on non-chrome.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Thanks. I'll get back on it. Just the stock pads and the rim is a 22 faction, but the paint has pretty much come off the side now.
I have those same rims (on my Faction). Normally I tell people to focus most of the attention on the cable, but in this case, it's the rim surface / pad combination that is not working right. Switching the pads to some gummier ones made a huge difference. The gummy ones that I found were some clear-looking ones off We The People / Salt brakes.

These look pretty similar:

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9596

Eclat brake pads

$9.95

designed exclusively for Eclat, featuring a soft rubber braking compound and 7075 aluminum hardware and retainer; shape and compound designed for maximum braking

tootall

Chimp
Apr 14, 2011
New pads and move your levers inward till you can only hook one finger on the lever. This gives you more leverage.
Good advice. Also allows you to pull the lever to the bar without hitting your other fingers if that is necessary.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
OK. I'll get some new pads and mess with the lever. That makes more sense, as I did my research and think I got the brake and cable pretty dialled. Actually I may change the lever. Doesn't feel real good to me. I like the eclat. or maybe the medium odyssey.